Post Prostrate Surgery Thread

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Pretty much the same for me, except they did numb me a bit, but could still feel it. Wasn’t really terrible, but you definitely wouldn’t sleep through it.

My biopsy resulted in a fairly high Gleason score (their method of determining how bad your cancer is and gives guidance on treatments which can range from active monitoring to removal of the prostate.). My Geason score indicated that something needed to be done and the cancer was fairly aggressive. First step was and MRI and bone scan to see if the cancer had spread. Those came back good. My doctor then went over the options with me, surgery to remove or radiation. I was initially going to go with surgery to get it over with, but then found out that I was going to need radiation anyway, so decided why go through the surgery. Survival statistics were roughly the same for surgery and radiation so that wasn’t a factor. Part of the treatment was hormone therapy which has actually been the worst part of the treatment. Six months later, inserted radioactive seeds into the prostate and then 3-4 weeks later, had 35 external radiation treatments. Hormone therapy continued and just ended last spring. Still have side effects from that, but everything else is pretty much OK.
Doctors have been very good. They have taken the time to talk to me about the procedures and discuss the outcomes. Now they have told me that in 20 years, I may develop secondary cancer from the radiation, but at my age, I’m not real worried about that. It’s also a reason on younger people, the radiation treatments are less desirable.

Transfixer, I understand and respect your position on doctors and medicine in general. Seems there are a lot of things that they “treat”, but don’t cure (diabetes is my prime example). There are, however, some things that need to be taken care of. Your steps to prevent issues is great and I encourage everyone to follow your lead and do what they can to maintain their health. What needs to happen though is to make sure that you keep up with health checkups cause things will sneak up on you which could, be prevented or made a lot less of a problem if you know about them. I am a prime candidate that didn’t follow that advice and got snuck up on with a heart attack, diabetes (prime reason I ended up with the heart attack), and prostate cancer. I’ve been blessed to come through all of those and be in pretty decent shape, still do largely what I want to and have friends that ask me why I do some of the things I do at my age (like getting up on the roof and cleaning leaves and pine straw off). Slowing down but not dead yet so I will keep doing stuff that tests me a bit.
Hoss,

I didn't like the side effects of the radiation option down the road. Glad you are doing well and hope it continues.

Hoss

Anyone have false positive test results?
Not sure what a false positive is. PSA tests can vary on results, but that test only leads to more tests. First step is likely the ever popular DRE which may lead to a biopsy. Biopsy is pretty conclusive as they are directly looking at cells. Biopsy will point to treatments from active monitoring (reqular PSA checks) to more aggressive treatments. Don’t see where a false positive comes into play.

Hoss

Hoss,

I didn't like the side effects of the radiation option down the road. Glad you are doing well and hope it continues.
Understand that. Not crazy about them myself, but I was getting radiation regardless as the cancer had spread outside the prostate a bit so I figured why go through the surgery and still have radiation. Oh and the surgery was just before deer season and I wouldn’t have been able to hunt for a while. May have been a minor influence in my decision.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Understand that. Not crazy about them myself, but I was getting radiation regardless as the cancer had spread outside the prostate a bit so I figured why go through the surgery and still have radiation. Oh and the surgery was just before deer season and I wouldn’t have been able to hunt for a while. May have been a minor influence in my decision.
Understandable.

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
I'm different than most I suppose, I will never let them touch my prostate if there is ever a reason they want to, my psa numbers are very low as of my latest lab work, they wanted to do a biopsy on my dad when he was 58, he told them no, he died at 64 of something totally unrelated to his prostate,

Almost every person I know that has had prostate surgery of one kind or another , has been literally miserable for a year or more afterwards, some longer, because of the side effects, a very good friend of mine underwent radical prostate surgery, radiation and chemo, had maybe two good years and it showed back up in various parts of his body, they now say they can't do anything for him, he wishes he'd never let them touch it .

there is a reason they call it the 'practice of medicine" , they don't have it down , they're still experimenting, I will NOT be a guinea pig,

I hope the op and everyone who has underwent the procedure has a good outcome and beats the odds, but they will NEVER experiment on me !

I was born with it, I'll die with it intact , cancer is terrible, but most times the treatments for it are worse than just living with it until it gets you in my opinion
I understand this as my godfather passed away in 2020 at 88 from metastatic colon cancer. Was a firecracker until the last four months even taking the boat out fishing on his own up until his last days. About seven years prior, he had surgery for colon cancer and refused radiation and chemo. 'Ain't nobody putting something in me that will make me even sicker'. It metastasized and got him in the end and it was ugly.

Prostate cancer is a bit of a conundrum for folks outside of the US. In most other countries, the belief is that you will die of old age before the prostate cancer gets you which is true given that prostate cancer is slow growing. But not always. Don't know you from Adam but I would urge you to get your exams. When prostate cancer metastasizes, it takes a bigger toll on your family than it does you. Same as Breast cancer. When they metastasize, the cancer moves into your lungs or brain and a painful death is certain.

Not an expert by any means but am at the age where I have had to deal with a few family members over the last few years where stage four cancer about ripped the family apart.

I'm scheduled to get my first exam next year and will gladly do so. Not leaving my family holding a melting candle is all I worry about.

:cheers:

transfixer

I understand this as my godfather passed away in 2020 at 88 from metastatic colon cancer. Was a firecracker until the last four months even taking the boat out fishing on his own up until his last days. About seven years prior, he had surgery for colon cancer and refused radiation and chemo. 'Ain't nobody putting something in me that will make me even sicker'. It metastasized and got him in the end and it was ugly.

Prostate cancer is a bit of a conundrum for folks outside of the US. In most other countries, the belief is that you will die of old age before the prostate cancer gets you which is true given that prostate cancer is slow growing. But not always. Don't know you from Adam but I would urge you to get your exams. When prostate cancer metastasizes, it takes a bigger toll on your family than it does you. Same as Breast cancer. When they metastasize, the cancer moves into your lungs or brain and a painful death is certain.

Not an expert by any means but am at the age where I have had to deal with a few family members over the last few years where stage four cancer about ripped the family apart.

I'm scheduled to get my first exam next year and will gladly do so. Not leaving my family holding a melting candle is all I worry about.

:cheers:

I appreciate the perspective, my family knows my views on cancer, I've had relatives that went through cancer treatment, only to suffer and pass away anyway, my own sister has had breast cancer and lymph nodes removed, had both her breasts removed as a precaution to try and prevent it from re-occurring, my ex-wife who I am still fairly close with has the same opinion I do about cancer treatments, and she will be the main one handling things if something happens to me, if or when ? I am ever diagnosed with cancer of any type, I will do everything I can alternative wise to deal with it, I will not be doing surgery, chemo , or radiation, whenever I reach a point where I can't take care of myself, I'll do what I need to do, I will not be a burden on my loved ones, they all know that is my intention.

I've seen close friends, family, loved ones go through the debilitating process of surgery , radiation, chemo therapy, and witnessed what it did to them, and they still passed away !

I do not see the sense in suffering like that only to ultimately lose the battle ? when I leave this world it will be of my own accord or in my sleep ! I will not go along with our "medical experts" just so they can attempt to learn more

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
I appreciate the perspective, my family knows my views on cancer, I've had relatives that went through cancer treatment, only to suffer and pass away anyway, my own sister has had breast cancer and lymph nodes removed, had both her breasts removed as a precaution to try and prevent it from re-occurring, my ex-wife who I am still fairly close with has the same opinion I do about cancer treatments, and she will be the main one handling things if something happens to me, if or when ? I am ever diagnosed with cancer of any type, I will do everything I can alternative wise to deal with it, I will not be doing surgery, chemo , or radiation, whenever I reach a point where I can't take care of myself, I'll do what I need to do, I will not be a burden on my loved ones, they all know that is my intention.

I've seen close friends, family, loved ones go through the debilitating process of surgery , radiation, chemo therapy, and witnessed what it did to them, and they still passed away !

I do not see the sense in suffering like that only to ultimately lose the battle ? when I leave this world it will be of my own accord or in my sleep ! I will not go along with our "medical experts" just so they can attempt to learn more
And I appreciate that.

oldfella1962

I understand that situation, I'm 62, and for the last 7 or 8 years I've taken supplements that are supposed to help the prostate and keep it from enlarging, as of yet I have no issues, when and if I do I guess I'll have to explore other options,

I just thoroughly distrust the medical industry , especially when it comes to treating prostrate problems, I personally know multiple guys whose romantic life ended after prostrate surgery, and I know one guy I used to work with who now cannot control his bladder at all because of prostrate surgery. I cannot see myself living like that whatsoever

I realize there are many who have decent or good outcomes , but I won't take the risk, one thing I've learned over the years is the medical industry is geared towards promoting procedures and treatments which are beneficial to their profession, they seldom actually have the best interest of the patient in mind, if they did they would promote every other option other than surgery, the Doctors that try to steer you away from surgery are few and far between
If memory serves, my father-in-law couldn't control his bladder for a long time after his prostate surgery. Then when he could finally control it, he got dementia/Alzheimer's and couldn't control his bodily functions towards the end of his life. Just a double-dose of bad luck right there. :(

oldfella1962

I can't say that I disagree with your viewpoint. Not only is the suffering a factor, but the financial drain would be terrible, unless that cancer diagnosis comes with a winning Mega Millions lottery ticket. No way I want to be a financial drain on my family.