Christmas Present Conumdrum

transfixer

I agree with this but also would encourage dad to not give up on trying to get his son involved in the outdoors. I know a few hardcore gamer dudes and even they like to go outside every once in a while.

yes, but not knowing the back story, if the young man has been exposed to it and not had any interest , then he may just not be built that way, some people just aren't , if he's never been exposed to shooting/hunting then it might be worth it to try ? but it doesn't sound like he's geared towards physical stuff , and some people aren't . Sometimes people do change interests as they get older, and 18yrs old is an age where they really don't know what they want as of yet, and generally haven't figured out what they want out of life . So its possible he could develop an interest later I suppose

Stonewall 2

Trip to St George Island Fl/Apalachicola enjoy good seafood and exploring the area. Book an offshore trip with Bigfish SGI or inshore trip with a Bay guide. I can’t imagine someone not enjoying that even if they don’t like fishing.

madsam

I can relate .....My son is twenty and in college. I started buying him a Case
Collectors Knife every year since he was in mid teens. That way I have something to get him and when he is older he will have a fine collection. One day he will look back and appreciate them and have a knife collection
for his son..... I order from SMKW ...goggle .

jdgator

My experience leads to be believe that at that age the present does not matter. I think they mostly want the approval and attention from their parents. And they want to be told they are doing a good job... So maybe you want to treat him to a pistol shooting session at the range and then hit up Chick-fil-a. You don't have to go big.

BeerThirty

My experience leads to be believe that at that age the present does not matter. I think they mostly want the approval and attention from their parents. And they want to be told they are doing a good job... So maybe you want to treat him to a pistol shooting session at the range and then hit up Chick-fil-a. You don't have to go big.
Out of curiosity, is that perspective based on being a father of a young lady? The approval and attention seeking of parents seems to be more of a female trait that I've observed.

Power tools that he doesn't have. Every self-respecting man needs his own set. He shouldn't be borrowing his dads after age 18.

I got "kicked out of the nest" at 12 when it came to borrowing dads' tools. I got a lot of tools by the time I was in my early 20's and I still have and use a lot of them to this day. Didn't really appreciate it until I bought a few of my own and realized how expensive they are.

Ironically, I don't loan tools out. lol

GeorgiaBob

You say he does that running around bouncing off of stuff exercise so he might enjoy a lightweight drone that could follow him around and record his efforts. Whether he wants to review his run to find ways to improve, or share on social media, a drone might be fun.

If you think about getting one, be sure it has GPS, obstacle avoidance, and a "follow me" feature. The "name brand" drones (DJI Mavic, Holy Stone) can cost up to $1,100, but there are many Chinese knock offs that cost significantly less and are functional.

Just an idea.

Reactions: Dub

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
If he likes the outdoors and just not into hunting.
A guided trout fishing trip ,saltwater fishing trip,
Hiking parts of the Appalachian Trail.
If he likes history,a driving trip toVirginia, D. C.,Boston and end up eating lobsters in Maine.

Triple C

What about a fishing trip up to Alaska next year? Just the 2 of you. Might be a good idea or a huge flop.
If money is no issue, consider pjciii's recommendation. A week during the end of the salmon run when you are catching 26" + rainbows and the occasional salmon on a remote river at some fly-in lodge is an amazing experience.

Plus, outside of the lodge their is no cell service. Good way to break the band on the addiction to technology and an amazing experience to see what the pristine beauty of backwoods Alaska can do for the soul.

jdgator

Out of curiosity, is that perspective based on being a father of a young lady? The approval and attention seeking of parents seems to be more of a female trait that I've observed.

Funny you ask! I do have a 9 year old daughter. So yes. Definitely with my little girl. I am constantly giving positive feedback on tiktok dance challenges that she does with her friends (that do not get posted).

But I am also something of a father figure to a number of men in their early to mid 20s. They come up with their own little ways to get bits of praise and recognition from me. It is subtle but it is certainly there.

They also share pictures of their gaming setups, car mods, home projects, girlfriends, pets or whatever they are proud. And I come up with an appropriate compliment that they screenshot and save. I've seen them do it.

And they sometimes swing by the office with their parents so I can tell their parents that their son or daughter is a great software or systems engineer and they should be very proud, etc. And the parents will say they've heard so much about me, etc.

So it seems important. At least with the young people around me.