How did you survive your teenage friendships?

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Me and my high school girls(4 of us) Still get together for drinks and dinner most every month. We also take quick trips together often. One of the three is like my sister. We get together more often.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I’ve got a long winded answer. I’ve taken a personality test and it shows I have a very unusual personality which probably doesn’t surprise anybody here. I’m an extreme introvert but have never had any trouble making friends. I had plenty of friends at my high school but was also friends with a bunch of people at a neighboring school all while most people would tell you I’m quiet. Weird huh?

The group I ran with at my high school was me and four other guys. I went to college after graduating, didn’t like it and went to the trade school, wasn’t ready to settle down and joined the Marine Corps, got out went to college and graduated, didn’t like working inside and I’m a welder today with a great wife and kid. Never been in any serious trouble.

One buddy played college baseball and had always been a different girl every week type. Well he got with a woman about fifteen years older than him in college and he was not ready for her. Ended up beating her up and somehow didn’t go to jail. He evidently made some sort of deal and became a preacher/motivational speaker. I never talk to him because I don’t believe a word he says.

Another buddy is burnt up on drugs. Super nice fella but just totally burnt up and never has held down a job for very long. He has recently been doing a lot better with a hot shotting business. I’m glad for him.

Another has been married and divorced several times but is now the chief of police in a nearby town. His job situation is good but his personal life is always in turmoil.

And the last one is about like me as far as a stable family situation and he works as a probation officer.

My buddies from the other school, one married an absolute nutcase and their marriage ended in some weird open marriage junk. He’s a CPA and on his second marriage and seems to be ok.

Another married a woman that treats him like garbage even though he’s one of the best people you’ll ever meet. He has a good job at the base in Wanrer Robins.

Another works as a salesman at a hardwood flooring plant and seems like he’s ok.

Another is a welder like me and other than seemingly becoming a hermit he’s doing good.

One thing I’ve learned is you can’t love your kids too much but you can dang sure be too good to them. And some people are just dang not GON do right regardless of how they were raised.

I’m still in touch with the guys from that second group but rarely see them. My closest friends are people I’ve made friends with since then.

oldfella1962

I had 3 under age possessions of alcohol before I turned 21. I paid a ticket for all three in my small town.

I hear today kids would need lawyers for those tickets.
You better believe it! Then again, in some cities you can shoplift and assault people on a daily basis and nobody cares. :huh: There's not much "middle ground" operating on common sense in the legal/justice system these days.

crucible02

Man this thread is interesting to read.

I was just having a similar conversation over lunch today.

When I graduated in 2002, I moved away and had no plans of coming back. I moved back in 2021 to pastor the church I grew up in.

It’s been odd to reconnect with some people from high school.

One is a very successful businessman with a great wife and kids.

Another is a functioning alcoholic. He has a good job, wife and kid but he’s basically the exact same guy at 40 that he was at 18.

Another got into drugs and committed suicide. This one still hurts.

Another went into the Army, got hurt and medically discharged… went into depression and became a horrible alcoholic. But he got clean, remarried and is now an associate pastor at a small church in Alabama. Very proud of him!

One other was my college roommate and Although we aren’t super close anymore, we stay in touch, especially since his parents and mine are close. He was a police officer, turned college campus director of security, and now is the COO and a pilot for his dad’s private/commercial pilot ground school.

The coolest one is the last guy I expected to turn his life around and come to my church just got married to an awesome lady a couple years ago… they have two kids, got saved, joined our small group, then our church and are now serving in the church.

I’m most thankful to have made some lifelong friends in my 30’s and now going into my 40’s that are my people for life.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have nothing to do with any of my old running buddies. Not necessarily by choice, it's just the way life goes. Different directions and all...

My circle nowadays is very small, and that's fine by me.

I ain't never even been to a class reunion. That is also fine with me..
Exactly the same here.

westcobbdog

Sitting here on the back porch listening to the rain got me to thinking about my old friends. There were 4 of us, always together. Riding 4 wheelers, skipping school, hunting, fishing, frog gigging and mud bogging. No cell phones back then, just being wild and young.
Well I moved on, married with kids and a great life. I’ve never been in trouble with the law, or done anything to bad. But.
Friend one is married with kids and is an alcoholic.
Friend two has been in and out of jail so many times I’ve lost count. He seems to be on the right track now. Hope he stays that way. Alcohol was also his biggest problem, along with a not so good home life. I gave him $100 for gas a good while back and haven’t heard from him since.
Friend three is in jail for murder. Got mixed up on drugs and shot a man in cold blood while the man was sleeping.
Makes me worry a little more about my two sons and what all they could get into.
Y’all have any friends that just wouldn’t do right?
Its like the movie Stand By Me, at the end the narrator says something to the effect "I never had any friends later in life like those friends"

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Work took me near my Ohio HS stomping grounds, decided to take a ride to the old neighbor. What was a blue collar melting pot of folks ranging from hillbillies to European immigrants was now a ghetto. Iron bars covered most windows and many doors. Found my HS best friend’s parents house. I ask about my friend and was told he was in CA assembling fighters. He had been a fighter aircraft mechanic in Vietnam. I called one time and had a strained conversation with my old friend. We had drifted and become different people than those teenage boys. I never heard from him again.

furtaker

I somewhat keep up with my best friend from high school and that's mostly it. I've had a few friends here and there but I've never had many close friends. But that's fine with me because I'm not an outgoing people person.

I am close to my immediate family and would do anything for them. Most of my aunts, uncles, and cousins, not so much. A few of them turned into weirdos with a lifestyle polar opposite from mine so I really have no desire to be around them anyway.

hopper

I wouldn't want anything to do with my friends. We were all drop outs and headed for a rougher life than we had already been living. Thankfully I had a momentary glimpse of reality and decided to duck out and get my life on track. Greatfull I met my Wife when I did (21yrs old) and had a beautiful daughter. I changed my life for the better and lost those fools numbers. Just heard that 2 of them died recently early 50s. Even though it's been many years since those days I sometimes look around at where I am and who I'm with and I can't stop smiling.

BassRaider

I have 1 friend from HS that I still see and 7 that we stay in touch via FB. Have several 40yr friends that we see on a regular basis.
0 friends from college.
I guess I'm lucky in that regard.

Core Lokt

I have two people that I still talk to from school. One I met in 5th grade (like a brother to me) and the other in high school. Both I can call true friends.

In the last 15 or so years I have met other guys at various occasions (cookouts, hunting, fishing etc) and a few of them I can call a true friend. I have been blessed to have and keep some true friends. We have called on each other in times of need.

If you ask my wife she will tell you I have never met a stranger and gets on to me if I just strike up a conversation with someone I don't even know LOL.