DIY Elk Hunt

NCMTNHunter

Man @NCMTNHunter you have shared a wealth of knowledge and probably saved some of us a lot of time and money. Much appreciated!!! You know your bear and elk for sure!!!!

Glad to help Joe. For us easterners, the tag systems out west can be overwhelming when you first start looking at them. I really enjoy helping people get over the hump. I talk to people all the time who say they wish could go elk hunting sometime before they die, thinking they will have to pay an outfitter $10,000 to do it. A good experience (not a guaranteed kill) is something that most can afford with a little work and planning.

donblfihu

What does this include?(gas, license, food what else)

plumber_1969

Glad to help Joe. For us easterners, the tag systems out west can be overwhelming when you first start looking at them. I really enjoy helping people get over the hump. I talk to people all the time who say they wish could go elk hunting sometime before they die, thinking they will have to pay an outfitter $10,000 to do it. A good experience (not a guaranteed kill) is something that most can afford with a little work and planning.

What NCMTN says is 100% correct. We've done it both ways. Been on DIY OTC and guided for cows. Had a blast both times. Guided is affordable if you factor all things in to consideration and have a reputable guide. Find out what people in the Georgia pay for a quality hunting lease and things will fall in to perspective. We are headed back to New Mexico late season and cannot wait. Planning and preparation will ensure you the best experience. Do not show up fat and lazy.

deers2ward

Google is your friend:

For Exercise - Mtn Tough fitness

For Licensing, Draws, and Unit info - Huntinfool, Go Hunt

For General Elk hunting knowledge and FAQ about gear, rifles, DIY logistics - Rokslide Elk forum, Randy Newberg Youtube Videos, Hunt Talk Elk forum, 24 Hour Campfire Elk forum

plumber_1969

What does this include?(gas, license, food what else)

I hunt with my wife so I will show you what we pay:
Licenses were $650 x 2 = $1300 - same price for cow tags on reservation
Gas = 3300 miles round trip for us = 220 gallons = $500
4 nights lodging = $400 (using points at Hampton Inn)
5 nights (when guided on Indian reservation) = $600
5 nights DIY free camping in the National Forest

$2800 est before processor if you choose to do so, guides work for tips and we have always paid ours well for his services and have never been disappointed.

I don't factor food because you have to eat if you are here or there so that is a wash.

Other things to consider...Do you want to fish while you are there or hunt small game like mountain chickens - grouse?

Overall $1500 - $2000 would be reasonable and you can see where you may be able to shave some costs for yourself. I am not driving 30 hours without sleep. I did 23 hours straight the first time I went out there and was winded for a full day afterwards.
Randy Newberg said you will run out of time before you run out of money and I am a firm believer in that!

plumber_1969

Sorry for that mug in the last picture. Shot her across a mountain and did not think about how to get her down. Had to roll her down in to a dry ravine to get on something sort of flat. That shot to the nose was not intentional. She got up and I led her a little too much.

Joe Brandon

Man if you are planning a hunt that far out you need to be getting some preference points between now then if your not already. I think you would be able to pick up 4 between now and then. That’ll give you a chance at some better units/seasons when the time comes.
Thanks so much!!!! The last couple days I have been digging in and trying to soak up all I can. Yes w/ 5 years to go I want to make it the best trip possible it's my big motivation for finishing my grad degree. Dont be surprised if I pick your brain in the future. I still have your number I believe. Thanks agian!

Joe Brandon

Toprut.com is good for looking at success rates and draw rates for units in multiple states. When you decide to go get a subscription to OnX for your phone, it's awesome to have aerials, topos, and property lines you can download for once you get out there. For how to stuff, look up Randy Newberg on Youtube.
Mr. Killmaster I cant thank you enough I really appreciate it! Have been relying on paper maps for ga but I reckon its about time I get onx heck it's only 30$ a year.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Mr. Killmaster I cant thank you enough I really appreciate it! Have been relying on paper maps for ga but I reckon its about time I get onx heck it's only 30$ a year.

Look for promo codes, you can get 20% off. I think there's still one from the Meateater podcast.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Hunting license is $83
Bull or either sex $670
Cow $503

I usually camp and stay in a hotel one night on the way home. A week hunt cost me around $1200 all said and done.

How far do you end up having to pack one out usually? Pack animals really added to the total for our hunt, but they sure were nice.

NCMTNHunter

How far do you end up having to pack one out usually? Pack animals really added to the total for our hunt, but they sure were nice.

The farthest I’ve packed one out on my back was about 3 miles. Thank goodness there were 3 of us. Most are less than 2 and we have been able to drive the truck or four wheeler up to a couple. I’ve used an outfitter that offers a pack out service with horses a couple times for back country hunts. Those were around $300 - $400. That was not included in the $1,200.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
The farthest I’ve packed one out on my back was about 3 miles. Thank goodness there were 3 of us. Most are less than 2 and we have been able to drive the truck or four wheeler up to a couple. I’ve used an outfitter that offers a pack out service with horses a couple times for back country hunts. Those were around $300 - $400. That was not included in the $1,200.

We came to the conclusion that pack animals would allow the other hunters in the group to keep hunting instead of assisting with a pack out. My two trips were both the 5 day 1st rifle hunt, so losing a day to packing out for a fellow hunter was pretty impactful. On our first trip all 3 of us killed an elk, I don't think that would have happened if we had to stop hunting and help pack for each other. We did, however, stop and assist with quartering a downed elk and getting it back to our spike camp. The llamas cost us around $400 to $500 each since we had to rent them for 8 days including our scout days. They certainly helped with packing gear too.

NCMTNHunter

We came to the conclusion that pack animals would allow the other hunters in the group to keep hunting instead of assisting with a pack out. My two trips were both the 5 day 1st rifle hunt, so losing a day to packing out for a fellow hunter was pretty impactful. On our first trip all 3 of us killed an elk, I don't think that would have happened if we had to stop hunting and help pack for each other. We did, however, stop and assist with quartering a downed elk and getting it back to our spike camp. The llamas cost us around $400 to $500 each since we had to rent them for 8 days including our scout days. They certainly helped with packing gear too.

I’m very interested in llamas but I’ve never used them. As much as I enjoy backpacking using llamas to get a little more comfort gear into the backcountry has an appeal to it. I’m not super comfortable with horses so I’ve always felt like it would be more trouble dealing with them than just using my own legs. From what I understand llamas are lower maintenance than horses.

The areas I’ve hunted in Colorado have had outfitters that offer a pack out service. I always touch base with them before I go and shoot them an inReach message just to make sure we have our inReach addresses right. Then shoot them a message if we kill an elk in a place where we need help packing out. In those cases you quarter up the elk and get it to a place where the horses can get to it. You only pay if you use them.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I’m very interested in llamas but I’ve never used them. As much as I enjoy backpacking using llamas to get a little more comfort gear into the backcountry has an appeal to it. I’m not super comfortable with horses so I’ve always felt like it would be more trouble dealing with them than just using my own legs. From what I understand llamas are lower maintenance than horses.

The areas I’ve hunted in Colorado have had outfitters that offer a pack out service. I always touch base with them before I go and shoot them an inReach message just to make sure we have our inReach addresses right. Then shoot them a message if we kill an elk in a place where we need help packing out. In those cases you quarter up the elk and get it to a place where the horses can get to it. You only pay if you use them.

I like the pack out option you mentioned, I just couldn't find many outfitters that would do that where we hunted. When we picked up the llamas for the first time we had to take a couple hour training with the owner. They really are a breeze to deal with. You stake them out in some grass on a 20 foot rope with an auger type dog leash anchor, move them to a new spot as they eat grass, and water them twice a day. They give you a gallon bag of sweet feed as a treat to make sure they'll come back to you if they get loose, but they feed themselves otherwise. You just leave them at your spike camp all day while you hunt.

Stump06

Colorado has bear tags for $100 now. I went last year and had about $650 round trip in everything. A very affordable hunt. Just know its gonna suck going in and you'll probably be miserable at first. Ive been to Co twice and the 2nd time was a lot more fun bc I knew what to expect. Its a tough hunt for sure but the experience alone is worth it

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Colorado has bear tags for $100 now. I went last year and had about $650 round trip in everything. A very affordable hunt. Just know its gonna suck going in and you'll probably be miserable at first. Ive been to Co twice and the 2nd time was a lot more fun bc I knew what to expect. Its a tough hunt for sure but the experience alone is worth it

I don't think I could bring myself to drive that far to kill a bear when we have so many in north GA. The drive is just brutal for me.

Joe Brandon

@Dudley Do-Wrong thanks for starting this thread as I am learning a ton. For the guys that have been out west how important is premium gear ie Sitka, First Lite, Kenetrek etc?I know that quality of gear is probably a bit more important up there with the harsh elements.

Latest posts