What Was Your Favorite Soft Drink Growing Up

Wifeshusband

Someone mentioned Tang (the so called drink for astronauts). Nasty stuff. Speaking of powdered drinks, mom used to get us Nestle Quick (chocolate powder you mixed with milk). I really tanked up on it in grade school; but one day, I drank six glasses, almost back to back, got sick, and threw up. Haven't had any since. In fact, I'm getting a little nauseated seeing the can again.
Nestle Quick.jpg

sinclair1

Someone mentioned Tang (the so called drink for astronauts). Nasty stuff. Speaking of powdered drinks, mom used to get us Nestle Quick (chocolate powder you mixed with milk). I really tanked up on it in grade school; but one day, I drank six glasses, almost back to back, got sick, and threw up. Haven't had any since. In fact, I'm getting a little nauseated seeing the can again.
View attachment 1062141
I liked it, but when that strawberry quick came out, it was my favorite. We didn’t get it much because it caused us to drink all the milk and mom had to drive thru the golden gallon and get more.

Wifeshusband

Kids that were trying to put on weight for football drank it. I was skinny as a fly rod so I drank it to gain weight. I switched over to that chocolate drink that came in a can in high school. It had a picture of a quarterback on the can. For the life of me I can't remember what the name of it was, but that's what guys in high school drank to gain weight (that and beer :eek:).

greg_n_clayton

If you grew up in West Georgia in the 60's and didn't drink Royal Crown Cola, which was bottled in Columbus, people would question your taste. Although I did like Coke and Seven-Up, and when I visited my cousins in NC I drank a lot of Sun-drop (I think that was the name of it), our family & friends still preferred RC Cola. The old joke was, a bottle of Royal Crown and a Moon Pie were a working man's lunch.
View attachment 1061588
It was called "RC Cola" in these parts.

Hunter922

Sprite, i use to pour salted peanuts in it...

jollymon

We almost never got the brand name stuff it would be what ever store brand Mom would bring home and if we didn't like it she wouldn't let us have any so my sister and I shut up .

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I went through about a million gallons of the Nestea instant tea with lemon growing up. Not the crappy stuff that already had the sugar in it, the stuff that you had to add your own sugar to.

We would also take that Realemon juice stuff, pour about an inch of it in a glass, add about an inch of sugar, then fill it up with water.

Buddrow

Whatever my folks would buy. I will say there is not a better anything then fresh off the line. Worked for coke and pepsi fixing machines and man those are good right off the line.

Dr. Strangelove

View attachment 1062141

Oh wow, the Metal top quick cans? I mixed up one of those about every day in the late 70's and early 80's.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
View attachment 1062141

MMMMMMMMMM! That's some good stuff! You ought to try it again. :p

Wifeshusband

I see where they changed the name of it to Nesquick. Funny how companies change names for new generations of folks. Well, I found it, the chocolate drink jocks drank in high school: Nutrament. Here is a picture of the can.
My mother couldn't afford to buy much for me as it was very expensive relative to drinks like Nestley Quick. And I didn't have much money to buy them, but they were good. Kind of like today's protein drinks, which are also expensive.
Nutrament.jpg

Wifeshusband

Anyone remember the big event of 1985. That was the year Coca-Cola replaced the original with New Coke. People were about as mad with that decision as they are today with the presidential election. I remember the uproar. Rumor had it the company wanted to ditch it because the original formula was invented by an ex-confederate solider, but they received so many calls and letters they caved and brought back the Classic. Many people, myself included, don't believe the Classic is the original. This is how Pepsi got ahead of Coke, much like when Winchester changed their Model 70 in 1965. There was an uproar and Remington got ahead with their 700.
New-vs-old-coke.jpg

sinclair1

Anyone remember the big event of 1985. That was the year Coca-Cola replaced the original with New Coke. People were about as mad with that decision as they are today with the presidential election. I remember the uproar. Rumor had it the company wanted to ditch it because the original formula was invented by an ex-confederate solider, but they received so many calls and letters they caved and brought back the Classic. Many people, myself included, don't believe the Classic is the original. This is how Pepsi got ahead of Coke, much like when Winchester changed their Model 70 in 1965. There was an uproar and Remington got ahead with their 700.
View attachment 1062285
original coke was made with real sugar which I believe they still do in Mexico. I am guessing new coke was corn syrup, and classic is corn syrup. All guesses based on timing the corn syrup revolution.

Wifeshusband

The actual original coca-cola had cocaine in it. They finally removed it in 1929 from what I've read. My father told me his father was "hooked" on Coca-Cola, drinking several a day. He died in 1934 at age 55.

35 Whelen

Growing up in Ohio and Pennsylvania we called soft drinks "pop." In Cleveland we bought a local pop called " Little Tom." My favorite chocolate syrup to put in milk was Bosco. One of my favorite places to go when I was a kid was an A&W root beer stand for a root beer float.