Ever find something you didn’t want to find out in the woods?

specialk

YES!, about 30 mins ago we got a pic from the cell cam showing pigs!!!! first in 30yrs.......

transfixer

How does one dump a mattress ?

not sure, but there is a gravel road that runs off the road I live on, its gravel for about a mile, little over, when it gets to the Paulding county line its paved, Douglas has never seen fit to pave it, and about every two or three months they'll be a mattress someone has dumped on the side of that gravel road, I'm assuming in the middle of the night, very little traffic on that road after dar, runs through the woods the whole length,

Dub

Was thinking the same. Inquiring minds wanna know...

@Big7...Any insight?
:bounce:

Maybe I got my wires crossed.

Sounded like @Big7 found the mattress there....following the OP's post about finding a barrel in the woods and plans to tip the barrel over, aka "dump" it.

Then @kmckinnie repeatedly asked if @Big7 dumped the mattress.

Is @kmckinnie asking if @Big7 dumped the mattress he found...aka flip it over.

When inquiry was made by @Big7 to @kmckinnie he made a reference to possibly "pushing some buttons".

Strange things amiss in that exchange.

But, yes.....I've found things in the woods that I didn't want to.

Things that made made me wonder how's & why's of things I'd rather not consider.

Suffice to say that everything found in the woods isn't nature or natural in any way, shape or form. Some use the woods for bad purposes.

Hoping the growing use of trail cameras, drones and other surveillance means will help landowners & game wardens keep things in accordance with the law and moral boundaries.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
:bounce:

Maybe I got my wires crossed.

Sounded like @Big7 found the mattress there....following the OP's post about finding a barrel in the woods and plans to tip the barrel over, aka "dump" it.

Then @kmckinnie repeatedly asked if @Big7 dumped the mattress.

Is @kmckinnie asking if @Big7 dumped the mattress he found...aka flip it over.

When inquiry was made by @Big7 to @kmckinnie he made a reference to possibly "pushing some buttons".

Strange things amiss in that exchange.

But, yes.....I've found things in the woods that I didn't want to.

Things that made made me wonder how's & why's of things I'd rather not consider.

Suffice to say that everything found in the woods isn't nature or natural in any way, shape or form. Some use the woods for bad purposes.

Hoping the growing use of trail cameras, drones and other surveillance means will help landowners & game wardens keep things in accordance with the law and moral boundaries.
This is what we found one time. Folks cut a lock in the residential area to sone hunting land. Road goes in 1/4 mile maybe 1/2 mile. Dumping trash.
We would lock it put up posted. Find lock cut more junk. Goes on for a while. This is before cell cameras. Or any camera.
Well we come in the other road that’s Not far between them. I set up a target to shoot a muzzle loader. We hear metal piling up. Walk to it and a nan is dumping trash. We just watch from 20’. I have the muzzle loader friend has a 223 ranch rifle. He turns and see us. 1st words he said. I got a shotgun n the tool box. My friend says go for it. He then said everyone dumps here. I’ll pick mine up. I helped.
Our county has free dumping of mattresses and other items. House hold items. All but trash from the house. U pay for that. Wood tearing down stuff. Limbs and leaves. Put it in a dumpster. Carpet. No tires.
2 burn barrels dumped up here at one our gates. Pick up with tractor took to dump.
A club was dumping hogs all beside the road to our lease. Dumping them down roads in our lease. Gamewarden told us we had to dump them on our property. I said we do. Told where our bone yard was. They where dumping them on other places also. Guess he started watching. Well they drug a big one from the spot they shot it to a pave road at our place. He filled it all the way back to the kill sight. Not sure what was said but ain’t no hogs been dumped at any of the leases here now. Another club uses our bone yard also which is fine. I had 2 hogs dumped at my camp gate once. 4th of July weekend.
They where rotted. Cut fence to get in. Went to a clear cut got a pile of wood. Put it on them. Took a gallon of diesel poured on it. Set a fire. Cremated 2 hogs.

Just look how many times I mashed buttons typing this. :bounce:

greg j

Can we get some more details, cause that don’t happen everyday….:oops:
I was living in Illinois at the time, heading to Iroquois county conservation are to hunt pheasant when i saw a leg sticking out of the weeds on the side of a road. I stopped to investigate and it was a body , it looked like it had been struck by a car. I stopped at a house to ask to use their phone (this was before cell phones) and they said that they already had a officer on the way to the site as they had another person come to their door and report it. I heard on the radio later that day that it was hit and run and the dead person was walking home from the local bar.

Last edited:

specialk

no lie, loggers in our lease about 4 weeks and locals dumping trash already....burn barrels full of trash and truck load of junk....

Shadow11

I found this a lil disturbing about a yr ago. I hadn't been in the woods for a couple weeks, and when I did I discovered this tent about 50 yards behind my house. It was on top of some box wood plants that i had stuck next to stream to root.

There's probably 150 acres behind house of woods that someone could trespass and camp on, but they chose to do it basically in my back yard. I pulled up the tent and there's an empty can of vienna weeners and a plastic fork.

The same time period i found the tent, there was a nearby neighbor that had ran from the police and got away. He was running a chop shop, illegal guns, and had a lot of meth/drugs in his trailor. Needless to say, i felt very uneasy for awhile. I found out later they caught the guy near atlanta somewhere. I still have no idea who/why/what.

Hopefully just some kids. Didnt look like it though.

Screenshot_2023-10-12-19-00-27.png

turkeykirk

Elephant (modern) ivory was used to make keys for a lot of high end pianos back in the day. Along with other uses.
Guess he never heard of “tickling the ivories”.

tickle the ivories​

Play the piano, as in He went on tickling the ivories until three in the morning. This expression alludes to a piano's keys, traditionally made of ivory. [Colloquial; first half of 1900s]

oldfella1962

Elephant (modern) ivory was used to make keys for a lot of high end pianos back in the day. Along with other uses.
Yes indeed! That's where the term "tickle the ivories" for playing the piano came from. I read an interview with Elton John many years ago and he discussed how ivory piano keys have a different texture and response (especially after they get warmed up) than non-ivory keys.

oldfella1962

I found this a lil disturbing about a yr ago. I hadn't been in the woods for a couple weeks, and when I did I discovered this tent about 50 yards behind my house. It was on top of some box wood plants that i had stuck next to stream to root.

There's probably 150 acres behind house of woods that someone could trespass and camp on, but they chose to do it basically in my back yard. I pulled up the tent and there's an empty can of vienna weeners and a plastic fork.

The same time period i found the tent, there was a nearby neighbor that had ran from the police and got away. He was running a chop shop, illegal guns, and had a lot of meth/drugs in his trailor. Needless to say, i felt very uneasy for awhile. I found out later they caught the guy near atlanta somewhere. I still have no idea who/why/what.

Hopefully just some kids. Didnt look like it though.

View attachment 1261285
Whoa! That whole tent situation could have gone horribly wrong for you considering the whole desperate criminal aspect. :oops: