Would you in todays America?

westcobbdog

Not much in the way of crack addicts here. That's an urban mostly demographic problem. We gots plenty of methheads and oxyheads, but they're out to steal instead of attack people. I camp all the time in the woods, and have all my life, never had a single issue. Somebody tries to come in my tent, and they not gonna be happyhappy at all. They won't bother anybody else, for sure.

As for parking back in the day, the only people that I ever had issues with were national park rangers with those big maglites. :)
Last few lines reminds me of being under a blanket w/ girlfriend at Kennesaw Mt Battlefield one night after a football game and the popo slowly shined the field, pucker factor was very high.

sinclair1

Last few lines reminds me of being under a blanket w/ girlfriend at Kennesaw Mt Battlefield one night after a football game and the popo slowly shined the field, pucker factor was very high.
My haunt was Wallace Park. The Rocket

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
My haunt was Wallace Park. The Rocket
Mine was either Florence Farms, or a little hiding spot close to Liberty Creek (The Cuts) .. depending of course which county the girl was from.

Jdmb123

Our parking was usually on private properties scattered about so it was just great aunt — or mr so and so to worry about.

Redbow

Bad things happened to people at times when I was growing up in the 50's and 60's and it continues today. No one is immune from such actions from bad people but I would not park in a remote area this day and time.

The park ranger himself that was in charge of the Croatan National Forest here told me years ago that he would not even go into that forest without being armed. He went on to say that drug dealers used the forest access roads ever day for drug dealings and it was dangerous to be out there at any time of day or night. After what that man told me I never go in there anymore without being armed.

bullgator

With pictures,……..I could better answer this after factoring in the risk/reward part of the question.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
The Rest Area on I-20 in Columbia County was brand new and I was on the way home from Augusta with a date. We decided to stop there for some light conversation. The 57 Chevy having given way to a Camero at that point caused more involved conversations to require additional planning. When the nice GSP officer asked what we were doing there, my reply of, "The sign said rest area, we are resting", ended all serious conversation.

I would not make that same stop today. A big factor is not wanting to deal with the aftermath of having dealt with an evil doer.

LTZ25

Do y'all remember the old couple that was murdered on lake Oconee , I think they were killed in the yard , what ever happened with that case .

Skeeter XRi

Thinking back to a 17 year old me, enjoying the company of similar aged amorous young lady; I can’t recall ever once considering the “danger” of being parked in a field, creek bottom, or other off the path the location. If i was still actively pursuing the things I did then, I don’t think I’d put much thought into it today either. On the other hand, I’m not sure the current generations think (or don’t think) like we did.

The great society has produced a ton of snowflakes.

Just sayin’…
jim

Baroque Brass

Do y'all remember the old couple that was murdered on lake Oconee , I think they were killed in the yard , what ever happened with that case .
I remember but never heard any more about it.

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
I don’t know that the world is any crazier than it has been in the past. The difference is that everyone has a computer in their pocket. Photos and videos offer validity to a news story and have the ability to make folks fanatical. Word travels fast these days…

Didn’t ‘Son of Sam’ target young couples? Particularly young women?

grouper throat

We went to my family's property mostly, but I was rarely unarmed. I knew where the game cameras were so I avoided them. My grandfather and his good friend (the sheriff) thought it was weed growers so they set up a camera where we normally parked at without my knowledge... they joked about sparring for weeks