Timber Cutting Time

Jim Boyd

For us, my buddy’s timing is impeccable!

70-75% harvest

We keep all the oaks.

He is gonna work to stay out of the plots and he even moved a ladder stand for us.

It rained hard going into last night, the deer tracks out here this morning are insane. Jokers have to stick their noses in EVERYTHING!

IMG_4699.jpegIMG_4699.jpegIMG_4700.jpegIMG_4701.jpegIMG_4702.jpegIMG_4703.jpegIMG_4704.jpeg

Jim Boyd

Change! Embrace it. Just a new challenge to figure out. Good luck for the future!

We are not troubled in the least.

May even get a few more food plot lanes in there!

Not even really a puzzle - big woods and cut down to the west and big tillable to east. Food to bed and then bed to food.

We get good scrapes and travel in October.

Jim Boyd

Retirement is gonna be dangerous around your place.

Got the mulcher scheduled back for me to use it this summer.

Starting a project with 60 chestnut trees this weekend.

I don’t really have anywhere to put them all - looks like they want a 40’ spacing - so I gotta open up some more ground.

Some are promised to @SCDAWG and I am sure I will give some others away.

That is…. If they make and grow.

slow motion

Got the mulcher scheduled back for me to use it this summer.

Starting a project with 60 chestnut trees this weekend.

I don’t really have anywhere to put them all - looks like they want a 40’ spacing - so I gotta open up some more ground.

Some are promised to @SCDAWG and I am sure I will give some others away.

That is…. If they make and grow.
Sounds great man. Love chestnuts. Ate a lot of em growing up till the trees died. Had a cousin fall out of a tree into the hulls(?). It was rough. Never go barefoot under em for sure. I was just funnin you about retirement. Seems you don't sit still well. Bet you find plenty to do though. :cheers:

Jim Boyd

nice looking pine logs

I lease in SC from 3 brothers and they really do have some fine timber.

I simply love the smell of fresh cut pine.

Jim Boyd

Sounds great man. Love chestnuts. Ate a lot of em growing up till the trees died. Had a cousin fall out of a tree into the hulls(?). It was rough. Never go barefoot under em for sure. I was just funnin you about retirement. Seems you don't sit still well. Bet you find plenty to do though. :cheers:

Oh, I am about the laziest fellow I know….

Just ask my fine bride!

Bucaramus

They're cutting hardwoods off of my lease and are making a mess of it. Hard to believe as the landowner lives across the street from the cut. They went to one area where I was told "they won't be going there as they have no reason to" just to get a handful of big white oaks. How do you think my clover plot looks now?

And I know, the land doesn't belong to me. But it doesn't belong to the timber company either.

Jim Boyd

They're cutting hardwoods off of my lease and are making a mess of it. Hard to believe as the landowner lives across the street from the cut. They went to one area where I was told "they won't be going there as they have no reason to" just to get a handful of big white oaks. How do you think my clover plot looks now?

And I know, the land doesn't belong to me. But it doesn't belong to the timber company either.

I will see this afternoon but the guys on my lease were working carefully around my clover plot.

Your landowner may or may not choose to redirect the timber company.

Jim Boyd

timber coming down lease going up makes no since to me

This is not true in every case sir.

Plus if the land is aimed at timber production - we would expect that timber would come down, right?

And since all prices generally go up and not down, I am struggling to understand what does not make sense??????

slow motion

This is not true in every case sir.

Plus if the land is aimed at timber production - we would expect that timber would come down, right?

And since all prices generally go up and not down, I am struggling to understand what does not make sense??????
Deer don't mind about timber being harvested. They don't eat pine trees other than the occasional new growth in young trees. Did see goats gnaw a lot of bark off some in a 1/2 acre pasture with several goats, a miniature horse, and 2 pigs in it. They were clearly starving.

Jim Boyd

Deer don't mind about timber being harvested. They don't eat pine trees other than the occasional new growth in young trees. Did see goats gnaw a lot of bark off some in a 1/2 acre pasture with several goats, a miniature horse, and 2 pigs in it. They were clearly starving.

Don’t mind is an understatement. Our were going crazy walking around in the area, trying to see what they could see.

Cutting timber - even hardwoods - is good for deer.

Opening the forest floor to sunlight does miraculous things.