Mending the Line | Movie

Mac

Tight lines, friend lived in MT for 20 years and told me Bechler is the hidden gem. Any advice on Slough would be greatly appreciated, will be my first trip.

Tight Lines

Tight lines, friend lived in MT for 20 years and told me Bechler is the hidden gem. Any advice on Slough would be greatly appreciated, will be my first trip.
I'm not a Slough expert but what I can say is that it can be epic on dries at times...it's a slower river though may have straightened out after some of the massive runoff the last two seasons...I did well with any attractor...hoppers, stimulators, beetles, Adams, etc. I had some rust colored foam back nymphs that did really well with the cutts. Not sure what the fly was...they were rust colored foam back nymphs...matched whatever they were eating perfectly...there is a hopper pattern out there called Chaos Hopper...you need 4 wt. or 5 wt. minimum and the wind can be tough at times. Wear a bell and get some bear spray. And honey to squirt on your buddy...

dutchie49

Watched it last night with the wife, very good, brought back memories of my fly tying days when we lived in Alaska. May take it up again.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
My wife and I watched it this morning, and enjoyed it. Made my wife cry at the end. And I honestly fail to see this evil "left leaning" thing? Where exactly was that at? I must not be as brainwashed into letting partisan politics run my whole life and how I feel about everything as some folks, I guess, but I am pretty durn conservative, and failed to see any hard left lean at all to this movie.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Started watching it, saw where it was headed, and turned it off.
Too left wing for me.......
Where exactly did you think it was headed? It probably never got there. Just a story about some broken people finding/trying to find peace and healing by fly fishing. And I'm honestly curious, what was "left wing?"

Last edited:

Tight Lines

My wife and I watched it this morning, and enjoyed it. Made my wife cry at the end. And I honestly fail to see this evil "left leaning" thing? Where exactly was that at? I must not be as brainwashed into letting partisan politics run my whole life and how I feel about everything as some folks, I guess, but I am pretty durn conservative, and failed to see any hard left lean at all to this movie.
I didn't see it either, other than maybe the focus on mental health for vets.

Having grown up in a house with a father who was recon in Vietnam, I can speak first hand that he definitely needed some help when he got back. I didn't know him prior, but everyone that knew him said he came back a very different human...

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't see it either, other than maybe the focus on mental health for vets.

Having grown up in a house with a father who was recon in Vietnam, I can speak first hand that he definitely needed some help when he got back. I didn't know him prior, but everyone that knew him said he came back a very different human...
I don't understand how mental health issues of combat veterans are political one direction or another. The whole idea of the movie was that the "system" is failing them, which it is.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I enjoyed it enough to watch it again. If the book and movie followed a true story line then the facts are what they are. I think folks are tired of the interracial relationships being the norm shoved down their throat in every commercial and TV show. This movie didn’t strike as having that emphasis but the relationships were there.

Tight Lines

I enjoyed it enough to watch it again. If the book and movie followed a true story line then the facts are what they are. I think folks are tired of the interracial relationships being the norm shoved down their throat in every commercial and TV show. This movie didn’t strike as having that emphasis but the relationships were there.
Yeah that could be. I do not care at all about interracial relationships. As long as they are good people, good parents, and good citizens I could not care less personally. But I know that's a thing...

There are a lot of couples of all races and colors that are useless humans and a drain on society. No race has that locked up...

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Yeah that could be. I do not care at all about interracial relationships. As long as they are good people, good parents, and good citizens I could not care less personally. But I know that's a thing...

There are a lot of couples of all races and colors that are useless humans and a drain on society. No race has that locked up...
Totally agree, folks find too ways to divide themselves unnecessarily. There’s good and bad regardless of race, religion of where you live. I lived and traveled around the globe and had folks I couldn’t even speak their language do kind things for me. Then I met a few jerks along the way, many of them right here at home.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
OK, so it's just the racist thing? Oh no! There's a black feller who's a character in this movie! Communism! Except there wasn't even any interracial relationship. They weren't having a romantic relationship at all. So, somehow it's leftwing communism for a black person to talk to and have a casual friendship with a white person now? facepalm:

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
OK, so it's just the racist thing? Oh no! There's a black feller who's a character in this movie! Communism! Except there wasn't any interracial relationship. They weren't having a romantic relationship at all. So, somehow it's leftwing communism for a black person to talk to and have a casual friendship with a white person now? And any such portrayal is shoving it down our throats? facepalm:
I didn’t take it that way at all but the with current tone being produced by Hollywood I can see some viewing it that way. I was well pleased it touched on some pretty sensitive veteran topics without depicting the vets as ready to shoot up the local restaurant.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I didn’t take it that way at all but the with current tone being produced by Hollywood I can see some viewing it that way. I was well pleased it touched on some pretty sensitive veteran topics without depicting the vets as ready to shoot up the local restaurant.
Yep. I thought it was pretty realistic. And also showed some of the good stuff that folks like Project Healing Waters and such are doing. And like it or not people, black guys are in our military. And get killed and wounded in the process. It's not a Hollywood conspiracy.
:)

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Yep. I thought it was pretty realistic. And also showed some of the good stuff that folks like Project Healing Waters and such are doing. And like it or not people, black guys are in our military. :)
Yep, my first mentor in the military was a black SSgt. He owns a HVAC company in St Louis now. We’ve broke bread together many times over the years.

Tight Lines

OK, so it's just the racist thing? Oh no! There's a black feller who's a character in this movie! Communism! Except there wasn't even any interracial relationship. They weren't having a romantic relationship at all. So, somehow it's leftwing communism for a black person to talk to and have a casual friendship with a white person now? facepalm:
Honestly I have no idea why folks thought it was left leaning or didn't like it. I don't care one way or another, and I'm just guessing. It was a good movie, and the reality is there is a lot of healing that happens when you get out in nature. Or whatever you want to call it. But it's good for us to be outside...

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly I have no idea why folks thought it was left leaning or didn't like it. I don't care one way or another, and I'm just guessing. It was a good movie, and the reality is there is a lot of healing that happens when you get out in nature. Or whatever you want to call it. But it's good for us to be outside...
Yep.