High end steak

ambush80

I figured all the cooks here would prefer their own steak. Those Argentinians look like they know what to do with cow meat. I hope to try some myself one day.

ambush80

I've never had any of the fancy ones. About the highest priced one for me was long horns at a mother's day get together. I paid 30 bucks for whatever it was, ordered it medium, and it was so burnt on the outside even I couldn't get half of it down. If there weren't a bunch of us in a hurry, i would've sent it back.

I just don't know how you can beat a good ribeye on charcoal. I picked up a couple this past Saturday at quality foods in Cornelia GA. Just 16.00 for a 2 pack. Bone in. I did the paymasters rub for about 10 hrs or so. I might have gotten a little heavy on the soy sauce, but they were 100 times better than that long horn junk. No knife or fork needed. Just a plate and roll of paper towels. It tears right apart. Super juicy. Even the fat was incredible. I used to never eat the fat om a steak growing up, but little piece of this fat melts in your mouth, and the flavor is so good. Woooweeedoggy!View attachment 1301689
Oh man. The little fatty corner on the bottom of a ribeye is my favorite bite of steak. The fat to meat ratio is prefect and the fat gets charred just right.

Shane Dockery

Went to Argentina once on a company trip. Ate steak every night for the week. Not expensive as compared to US steak houses, but each one I had was delicious. I focused on the places that cooked over wood or charcoal. Man, I would go back in a heartbeat...as long as the company was buying. :D

Tight Lines

Biting my tongue.....
It's a real thing...never heard of one until recently...

Tight Lines

I'll have to post some pics from this trip to Argentina in May 2009 sometime when I have time, but this is a traditional asado along the banks of the Limay Medio in southern Argentina.

We ate like this just about every night of a 7-day 66 mile float trip...

Just meat from a cooler, cooked over whatever hardwoods they could scrounge up on the bank...

IMG_0370.jpg

This is who we floated with: https://setflyfishing.com/en/homepage/

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I’m on a project now with a girl from Milwaukee.

You guys ever heard of a meat raffle?

Apparently it’s a thing…I had no idea.
I am afraid to google that. :oops:

Mike 65

Port Orange Steak House just outside of Daytona. Was not very expensive but the best restaurant steak I ever had. Was the same every time went there.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Angus Barn in Raleigh, NC used to have a good store-bought steak. You gotta wear a necktie to go in there, though. And it ain't no better than a good home-grilled one.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
At the risk of sounding cliched, I've eaten steaks at some pretty expensive steakhouses. Still, the best ones I remember were grilled at home or over hardwood coals at a campsite in the woods. A regular old ribeye from Ingles is good enough for me. I can't really tell a lot of difference in the dry aged prime stuff, to be honest. I've never eaten or cooked wagyu.
Most restaurants put too many overpowering seasonings, marinades, and such on a steak. I like the taste of the steak itself.
Same here - on road shows taking groups out, I’ve eaten some high dollar beef.

But…….the best was raised and grilled right here at home at about $2 per pound.

There are tons of techniques, sauces, seasonings………at the end of the day……the ticket is grilling slow with low heat with a little real hickory smoke……not too much…….just a little. If I need all the sauces to make the steak better……..I really ain’t got nothing but a little steak with my seasonings.

NMH5050

I had a center cut ribeye in Chicago that was the best steak. I am a fan of Hal's for Atlanta Steakhouse and they are known for their fillet. I really enjoy their lamb chops as well.

Buck70

Many, many years ago, I had a ribeye from The Corner Palette in Banner Elk. That steak was the best steak. It cost about what I made in 1 day. It was a gift from my sister who was not hurting for money.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Most expensive steak I ever had was paid for by someone else. I was very glad I did not have to pay for it. It was not worth half of what it cost. Plus the chef or server cut my steak before it was served. I cut my own steak when I eat. Had I paid for that steak it would have been sent back and would have demanded another be served unsliced.

ambush80

Same here - on road shows taking groups out, I’ve eaten some high dollar beef.

But…….the best was raised and grilled right here at home at about $2 per pound.

There are tons of techniques, sauces, seasonings………at the end of the day……the ticket is grilling slow with low heat with a little real hickory smoke……not too much…….just a little. If I need all the sauces to make the steak better……..I really ain’t got nothing but a little steak with my seasonings.
That is a revelation to me. I've always enjoyed them best on a ripping hot grill, the grates might even be glowing, to char and Maillard*, then off to the side (or on top of the less cooked ones) sometimes with the lid down if they're particularly thick. I have not tried the reverse sear method, though it intrigues me. I want some of the fat blackened and I like grill marks, but they're not a necessity.

* https://www.mychicagosteak.com/steak-university/maillard-reaction-steak

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
That is a revelation to me. I've always enjoyed them best on a ripping hot grill, the grates might even be glowing, to char and Maillard*, then off to the side (or on top of the less cooked ones) sometimes with the lid down if they're particularly thick. I have not tried the reverse sear method, though it intrigues me. I want some of the fat blackened and I like grill marks, but they're not a necessity.

* https://www.mychicagosteak.com/steak-university/maillard-reaction-steak
I think it’s mostly individual technique. The fast searing on both sides is supposed to retain moisture but I goof it up every time.

I can keep it moist and tender with slow and low heat. I place a little pork fat to drip on the charcoal for creating smoke. It’ll still char the fat on the steak edges.

ambush80

Many, many years ago, I had a ribeye from The Corner Palette in Banner Elk. That steak was the best steak. It cost about what I made in 1 day. It was a gift from my sister who was not hurting for money.
What did you like best about it? The quality of the meat? The cooking method? The seasoning? The setting? The pretty waitress?

At Hy's in Toronto, I liked that they had a very pretty woman who's only apparent job was to chat us up, laugh at my dumb jokes, and try to upsell us on items. There were probably four people in charge of different things for our table of 8. One guy's job was to pour wine, the Sommellier:ROFLMAO:. Having done most of the jobs in the restaurant biz, I always try to make friends with the staff. I want then to feel like I would go get drinks with them afterwards ( if they were cool. Being pretty helps, too;)).

I had a sirloin with French fries that (as Rodney Dangerfield said) "Still had the whip marks where the jockey hit it", that I would order again, as long as it was at that same cafe in Paris.

ambush80

Most expensive steak I ever had was paid for by someone else. I was very glad I did not have to pay for it. It was not worth half of what it cost. Plus the chef or server cut my steak before it was served. I cut my own steak when I eat. Had I paid for that steak it would have been sent back and would have demanded another be served unsliced.
Ha!!!! I want to cut my own steak as well, thank you kindly.