Most reliable Muzzle Loader Powder

Lester7009

I have using Pyrodex Pellets (2 50gr ) for about 3 years. Out of about 60 rounds I have never had a miss fire. I don't even look for Black side of pellet which faces the ML primer I just put them in..
Wanted to switch to a Powder Tripple 7 or Blackhorn, or Alliance which from Field and Stream won Best of Best ML Powder for 2013. I know primers are another story. What in your opinion is the Best all around, reliable Powder and 209 Primer
I would appreciate your opinion

Thank You
Lester

F

FrontierGander

if black mz won best powder for 2013, its CLEARLY a paid off magazine.

Best powder for todays modern inline ML is Blackhorn209.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If you're going with a blackpowder substitute, it's hard to beat Pyrodex for reliability. I usually shoot Goex FFg, but I shoot Pyrodex in my caplock sometimes just because it's cheap and easy to find. Never had any problems, even after hunting in the rain all day. And I just use #11 caps. Killed loads of deer with it. A friend of mine has shot Pyrodex in his inline for nearly twenty years, and I've never known of him having a misfire.

snook24

X2 on blackhorn...look it up on YouTube, the test they have done and you will be impressed. But make sure you have a gun that will be able to use it.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
I use the one that has been in business for 211 years. All I`ve ever used.

F

FrontierGander

What about ignition in all weather conditions

With my cva break actions, i do a little fine tuning with the head space and get them so sealed up, the bore will actually hold air pressure with a spent primer installed into the Breech plug.

F

FrontierGander

blackhorn209 has a waterproof coating on it. Put it in a glass jar of water and let it sit over night, empty it, use a couple paper towels to dry the powder and you can still shoot it.

The other subs melt away, real BP turns cakey but you can form it and crush it for use again.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Just to clarify-nothing will beat Goex real black powder, IMO.

Flintrock

Just to clarify-nothing will beat Goex real black powder, IMO
What makes this powder better than others
Thanks

Easier to ignite more consistant .
Go to a muzzleloading rifle match....If there was a better powder the competitors would be using it to improve their performance. Virtually no one uses the subs.

Lester7009

With all respect Deer hunting in all weather and competition shooting IMO are two different things and different conditions