Why was Jesus baptized?

centerpin fan

Because, in 1987 during the summer between 7th and 8th grades I went to Glorieta Baptist Retreat and was filled with the spirit. I was told that I needed to be Baptized in order to make public the fact that I had been saved. So, when I got back home to Texas, I was baptized. I didn't understand it then and I don't understand it now. I'm resigned to the fact that I'll never find clarity on the matter.

If you have a month or two to spare, you could read through some of the baptism threads in the archives. I can't promise you'll find clarity, though.

hobbs27

Obedience!

Yep, and for whatever reason doesn't really matter. God says , Christians go jump in a lake, well we best go jump in a lake. :bounce:

barryl

Obedience of Faith! Romans 16:26 KJV 1611 AV The Lord Jesus Christ had(or has) no sins to confess and no need to repent! He submitted to baptism for the sake of manifesting himself to Israel! John 1:31(Johns baptism of repentance) (1 Cor. 1:22,14:22 KJV AV) CPFan is right about "depends on which church". Be careful about being led into the ditch. Matt. 15:14 KJV AV

pine nut

Terry, my bible is a Dake's Annotated Reference Bible published and sold by the Dake family in Lawrenceville, GA. It's an interesting bible and easy to look up and use for research. On page three of the book of Matthew chapter 3 verse 11 you are directed to a foot note (a) "ten reasons forgiveness not by water:" reason# 4 states: " Christ who knew no sin was baptized for two reasons: 1 To fulfill righteousness (v 15). 2 To be manifest to Israel( Jn. 1:31)."

Try reading Matthew 3:11-16 reading Mr. Dake's foot notes and cross references.

I would suggest his bible as a very good study bible and trouble yourself to read his introduction of his work that you get when buying this bible. His is an interesting story and his work was forty years in the writing. I came to know of this bible via an unusual circumstance , but I won't go into that here. I believe this work to be a great help to an honest seeker.

1gr8bldr

For those believing that he was baptized for in summary "to set an example", what was the dove coming down?

Artfuldodger

For those believing that he was baptized for in summary "to set an example", what was the dove coming down?

Good point, but if his physical death on the cross was "just for example" or "for show" as some believe, I guess it's possible.
Some people forget Jesus was a man.

hobbs27

centerpin fan

Would you come closer to agreeing with "Baptism signifies an inward work and fulfils a Divine command"?

No, I don't think it signifies anything. I agree with Tertullian: it is a physical act with spiritual benefits. :)

mtnwoman

I'm not a rabble rouser and I'm serious about this question. Each Sunday I see people baptized and "buried with Christ in baptism, raised to walk in the newness of life". The pastor says that baptism is a reenactment of the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus. If that is the case, then why was Jesus baptized and why were people being baptized before the time of Christ? Was the meaning of baptism changed after Jesus?

Personally (Baptist here), just like the last supper, drink the wine, this is My blood and eat of my flesh (bread).....Jesus is our example and we need to follow Him. Yes buried (sins washed away) and up out of the water, resurrected into a 'new man'. Jesus didn't have to drink the wine or eat the bread, or be baptized just showing us the process of an outward display of an inward
belief in Him. Symbolic.

Artfuldodger

I see nothing in scripture to indicate this.

Was this when Jesus was anointed by his Father?
It might just be coincidence that his Earthly ministery started at this point.

Acts 10:38
"You know of Jesus of Nazareth, how God anointed Him with the Holy Spirit and with power, and how He went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with Him.

Luke 4:18
The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

Israel

BANNED
"I delight to do thy will..."

Jeffriesw

I'm not a rabble rouser and I'm serious about this question. Each Sunday I see people baptized and "buried with Christ in baptism, raised to walk in the newness of life". The pastor says that baptism is a reenactment of the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus. If that is the case, then why was Jesus baptized and why were people being baptized before the time of Christ? Was the meaning of baptism changed after Jesus?

As the Federal head of His people he was acting in his mediatorial role, Christ is identifying with his people; they need to be baptized, symbolizing their repentance and cleansing from sin, so he enters into their obedience and perfects it in righteousness. Also, look in Mark chapter 10 where he calls his impending death on the cross, baptism. I think this also points to the same conclusion. There are other views that are also very plausible as well, and I would not limit His Baptism to just one thing. He was also being annointed at the start of His ministry. Thats my .02 cents anyway.

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
Leaving opinion out of the subject(if that's allowed), Jesus said He must be baptized to 'fulfill all righteousness'.
I take that to mean "it's what God wants Me to do".

As far as baptism being nothing more than our reenactment of Jesus' death, burial, and resurrection, the bible doesn't even hint at that possibility.

In the Bible, weren't Christians told, "baptism doth now save you"?