Dukes in FEB.

dave21182

Just made a reservation for Dukes in early February. Wanted something sooner, but they only that Feb. 04, and Valentines weekend available...
Been married long enough to know not to reserve it on Valentines.

Never fished it before, any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Georgia Hard Hunter

clear water long leaders 6x or 7x, small flys #20 & #22 zebra midges and brassies assorted colors, small pheasant tails #18 & #20, be careful with indicators the fish are spooky. Keep flash to a minimum these fish know about all the tricks. high or stained water olive woolly buggers light on the flash, larger nymphs #12 & #14 hares ear, Pheasant Tails #18 , Stoneflys in brown and golden #12 & #10
Also what fishndoc said stealth is a must and get those flys deep

dave21182

Thanks for the tips...
Never been before, should have a good time, even if I get skunked.

As far as getting deep... Would the bead headed nymphs and buggers get it down enough? Or is it so deep that I need to put a split shot on.
Also, been wanting to hone my streamer skills...Never been too successful...yet.
Never brought out the fly-rod in winter yet since I've been living down south, so maybe the streamers are a waste of time.
Sculpins, muddlers... Any recommendations in this dept?

Meriwether Mike

Big tungsten beaded jig hook nymph on the bottom with a smaller one about 18 inches up. Keep your fly line off the water with a long leader and a tight line presentation. Think of it more like hunting instead of fishing. Stealth and slow movement over a holding fish is the key. Stay behind them and fish upstream when you can. The fish do not fight fair at Dukes so be prepared to win a few and lose a few.:cry:

Jimmy Harris

February is an excellent time to be on Dukes. The weather then is so unpredictable that it's probably your best opportunity to find off-color water and that's like finding the key to Davey Jones locker. As for getting your flies down, if you aren't Euro-nymphing, add additional weight even if you have tungsten beads on your flies. Everyone has their own keys to success on Dukes, however, I never fish 7X and almost never fish 6X. Unless you've got considerable experience with big fish on small streams, since this is your first trip to Dukes, give yourself a slight chance of landing one with a stronger tippet. Just my opinion.

This is what you're looking for; an absolutely miserable day (it was snowing in this pic). Water was gin clear but you hope for off-color. Notice the fly. An egg pattern. Never forsake the egg!

Attachments

• PC170102.jpg
    PC170102.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 991

dave21182

(Notice the fly. An egg pattern. Never forsake the egg)

Since I've been in the south, people are always talking about egg patterns...
Never tried em...

Jimmy Harris

While a lot of anglers chuckle about fishing with egg flies (& even I lump them into a group called "junk food" flies), the reality is that fish eggs are an important food source for trout. If you're on-stream during the white sucker spawn, you'll get tired of catching trout on a green egg pattern. They're that good.

dave21182

Don't get me wrong Jimmy...
I'm not a snoody fly fisherman... I usually have a spinning rod with me. I just really enjoy the flyrod. And when I take my daughters fishing, I'm not above some live bait to get the kids some fish.
Ice fishing in Wyoming, a female kokanee salmon was a good thing to catch... And finding the shallow 2.5 ft water where the salmon were spawning was great. The big lakers, bows and browns would come in to feed on eggs. I caught this rainbow in my profile pic while ice fishing.
And even if you didn't have the bosses come in, you'd catch salmon all day.
Just egg flies sound foreign to me...

Time to break the comfort zone, I guess...

While we're on the subject, a good dead drift on egg patterns? What colors should I look at getting?

Jimmy Harris

Just go with basic peach color if you have it. If not, yellow will work and so will white, but don't tell anyone I told you.

fishinbub

90% of my fish at Dukes were caught with a pink egg on 5x...just make sure your flies are on the bottom.

JJJSDAD

I read on a forum the DNR was out the other day checking license and enforcing the barb less fly regulation (no barb flys are allowed to be used or carried in fly boxes while fishing Dukes) Several tickets were written the other day

dave21182

Unfortunately...

Did not get to make Dukes today. Had to re-schedule for work...
Will be going in 3 weeks. Hope the guys out there today have some good fishing.

NC Scout

Good Luck

Yeah, working can put a real damper on one's fishing. :( If you're going this Wednesday, looks like you'll have decent weather and good chance of rain. Dukes browns come out to play when its raining and/or river is up and murky. They'll devour bright worm patterns.

dave21182

Yeah, working can put a real damper on one's fishing. :( If you're going this Wednesday, looks like you'll have decent weather and good chance of rain. Dukes browns come out to play when its raining and/or river is up and murky. They'll devour bright worm patterns.

Gotta get up there first, ahaha...
Im sure the wife will try talk me into staying home, but I'm going.

Gonna work on tying up some buggers, and worms tonight. I have some IPW's too, and egg patterns too. Thanks to Jimmy of course...

Latest posts