Teach me how to grow collards!

work2play2

Banned again & will band again soon
I have a 25x50 area I want full of collards. I'm in central ga. I had my first garden this yr and it did very well. Now I want a fall collard garden. But I know nothing about it. Just guessing plant 2 feet apart. Keep watered. Plant around Sept 20th pick Dec 1? Any advice is appreciated. I want collards out my ears !

Red dirt clod

That should work out fine, we get the green collard worms pretty bad so watch out for them. Dust a little BT on them to control. One of easiest things to grow. I pick the outside leaves instead of cutting the whole plant, they will continue to grow till spring.

ugajay

What red dirt clod said. The worms can hit them hard and fast so just be mindful of that. Keep them hoed out and you'll be fine. After you start cropping the lower leaves, no need for hoeing. The ground can get as hard as woodpecker lips and it won't hurt a thing

Cmp1

BANNED
Isnt it about the same as spinach,I want to try them up here next year,,,,love collards with smoked ham hocks,,,,

Red dirt clod

No not like spinach, collards are easy to grow. Spinach is more finicky, requires very good soil and monitoring water etc.

280bst

That's enough Collards to keep a whole lot of folks regular for a long time. I just have the ground tilled up and smoothed. I been sewing them works just fine. This year I went with a push planter just for the heck of it. What ever method you use just walk away till they come up. Same with turnips, mustard, kale just a little later. Put my Collards in ground couple days ago in N.E. Ga. Good Luck

JackSprat

No not like spinach, collards are easy to grow. Spinach is more finicky, requires very good soil and monitoring water etc.

Ditto. Spinach is very hard to get started and grow here in the fall. Usually takes special techniques to get it started.

Collards are easy.

Killdee

I had rabbits? cutting my collards last year, a lady told me animal away worked for her. I bought a can at HD and have to say it irritated my nose to sprinkle it out and that stopped em. Re apply after it rains.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I had rabbits? cutting my collards last year, a lady told me animal away worked for her. I bought a can at HD and have to say it irritated my nose to sprinkle it out and that stopped em. Re apply after it rains.
An electric fence 4" and 8"off the ground will keep them at bay also.