Talk to me about tractors

ssramage

I'm strongly considering picking up a tractor in the near future. As a kid, my uncle had a Ford 1720 that I grew really attached to. He just recently passed, and that tractor got scooped up by a cousin, so I'm starting from scratch. You guys on here have WAY more knowledge about tractors than I do, so I figured I would start here.

We've got a fairly large club, with several members having tractors already, but I'd love to help contribute with food plots, keeping roads clear, etc and also for a few private spots. Particularly I've got a spot now that was select cut last year so I've got some clean up to do this summer to get ready to plant this fall. I've been able to get by with an atv and a walk behind DR Brush Mower, but honestly, I'm getting too old for all of that and it takes me way too long when I need to do things. I live/hunt in Southeast GA, so mostly flat land that can get kind of muddy in places.

Realistically, the tractor won't be used a ton. While I could go out and buy a brand new Kubota, the ROI just isn't there right now. For a budget, I'm sort of flexible as I'm going to be putting some money left to me by my uncle into getting it, but I have other commitments as well and don't want to go crazy. We always ran the tractor together when I was growing up and worked on their homeplace together, so I want to continue that with my kids. I'm sure to some it may sound silly and I'm sure you guys will understand, but getting ready to say goodbye to their homeplace and that tractor have been really difficult for me. Ideally I'd like to be under $10k (including a trailer and implements). Much over that and I may just look at some implements for my ATV to get by. The tractor market seems to be inflated like everything else right now, so it may not even be a realistic budget. I have no idea...

I appreciate any guidance and thoughts that you guys can provide.

Havana Dude

My preference is Kubota, but take your pick, especially if buying used, limited market. Must haves for me minimum, 4x4, and a bucket. To do what you want to do efficiently, I wouldn’t get much under 35 HP. If you find a deal on a smaller tractor, look into getting a tiller, instead of harrows. You’ll need a bush hog as well, and a drag box may be needed for road maintenance. Ive got a 18 hp kubota. I know what it can and can’t do. I’d love to step up to 30+ hp, but it ain’t happening. Another consideration is comfort. While no tractor rides like a caddy, my small tractor will beat you to death sometimes. Good luck.

mattb78

Been there brother.

Had a 30 HP 2wd Kubota for bushhogging. It was great for mowing and everybody loved that tractor.

If money is short, a 30 HP tractor can mow and throw fertilizer out of a cone spreader in a hurry. That is plenty of help on food plots and road maintenance.

For that money, you aren't getting something that can run a disc unless you are getting an old tractor you have to work on.

Small tractor = great for fertilizing and mowing.
Side x Side = easy to hook up a 25 gallon sprayer and also a 40-50lb spreader to sling seed.

Either purchase is going to be a big help on food plot day.

ssramage

Been there brother.

Had a 30 HP 2wd Kubota for bushhogging. It was great for mowing and everybody loved that tractor.

If money is short, a 30 HP tractor can mow and throw fertilizer out of a cone spreader in a hurry. That is plenty of help on food plots and road maintenance.

For that money, you aren't getting something that can run a disc unless you are getting an old tractor you have to work on.

Small tractor = great for fertilizing and mowing.
Side x Side = easy to hook up a 25 gallon sprayer and also a 40-50lb spreader to sling seed.

Either purchase is going to be a big help on food plot day.

Kind of what I'm thinking.

Right now I have a Kodiak 700 with a sprayer and seed spreader. I have thought about just buying implements for it just to hit my private stand location, but not nearly as effective as a tractor. I've thought about selling the four wheeler for a SxS but haven't quite made up my mind on that yet. I would likely get WAY more use out of a SxS if I'm being honest.

Lilly001

I have a 32 hp Kubota 4wd w/loader that works over its weight.
I have to take smaller bites on some projects but it can do a lot.
It is easier to transport and cheaper to feed. And it can get into spots my bigger JD can’t even think of.
I don’t think any smaller would work as well.

thumper523

I bought a re-man Yanmar that is 27 hp and pull a plain 5' bush hog. It also came with a 48" tiller. It's 2WD and no bucket. It fits between planted rows of pines and I mostly do our food plots with my grandfathers old disc harrow. I unbolted the back half and only use front half full tilt and it works great. I think I paid $4,800 about 15 years ago. Still working today.

Also keep in mind where it will be serviced. If you have to drive a considerable distance for service or parts (excluding mail order)... what would that dealer or service center be? Green? Orange? Old red?
I would stick to accessible service opportunities either near home or the property. You don't want a situation where your property is an hour + in one direction and the tractor service/parts are an hour + in the OTHER direction!

mattb78

I've thought about selling the four wheeler for a SxS but haven't quite made up my mind on that yet..

That's what I would do. You will get good money for that 4 wheeler and a side by side works better because you can carry stuff. You can do no-till plots or just help with the spraying and seeding. Could eventually purchase a tow-behind fertilizer spreader and you basically have everything you need except a disc. Easier to transport. Good tractor mechanics are hard to find and they are BUSY because the price of new is insane. If you had 20k you kind find something decent used but 10k is unfortunately a really tough price point now.

Ihunt

Just be prepared for sticker shock. This Covid/Biden inflation has hit everything. If you find something you want at what you think is a fair price, don’t wait.

A FEL and 4wd are huge assets especially in a small tractor. Good luck in your search.

Triple C

Consider some of the off-brand tractors like Yanmar, Branson, etc. I own a 2005 Branson 40HP, 2007 Kubota M4800 50HP, and a JD 5085 85 HP. That lil Branson I bought used in 2011 and it has been a beast of a tractor. Got a local tractor mechanic that services it every couple of years. Easy to order parts for when we've needed em on rare occasion. No major engine/drivetrain issues. The occasional seal n hydraulic hoses that need to be replaced.

Buddy of mine just picked up an 80 HP Branson that's out of production with 78 hrs on it with FEL, bush hog, tiller, disc harrow n scrape blade for 20K. He stole that thing. I don't think you can buy a bad tractor these days. Seems they all are work horses. I personally would try to stay at a minimum of 35 HP.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I bought this last year this time...

IMG_20210530_190147897.jpg

1998 model, 25 hp, gear drive, 1200 well kept hours. I won the three man race to the bank to get back with 11k.

A heckuva deal, I thought.

Also had to buy the trailer, another $2500.

Sold this 20hp JD..IMG_20210513_073908976.jpg

Also sold my smaller trailer for a total of $4400...

This put me in my small but "real tractor" and trailer at $9100.

This ALL took place from start to finish one day before 2:00 in the afternoon.

There are deals to be found, but you have to be ready to move fast...

glynr329

Don't get me wrong I have used a 950 John Deere and even smaller to plant many food plots. The reason I said at least 35hp is I use a 6' tiller now. I used a Ford 3000 and that was a bad tractor pulled anything. Sold for more than I paid for it.. I bought 45 hp Kubota with loader it does good but to big to get around all the trees I got planted. I am waiting on a guy to bring a older model 641 Ford to Bush hog. John deer had for probably 20 years and could get what I paid for it easy.

Ugahunter2013

I have a 61 hp JD , 2wd with a FEL….yeah 4wd would be nice but I have been able to do everything needed with what I have. Got it for a screaming deal. Only downside is it is too heavy to transport with my F150 (dont have a trailer anyways)…but it doesnt really matter unless Im taking it to get serviced, because all of our land is here at the homeplace. Oh and its a 2001 so its pre all the electronics garbage that can get $$$

sleepr71

I’d look for a decent,used, 1050(or similar/35 hp) JD 4x4,with FEL. I have seen some pretty decent ones sell for $6500-$7500 within the last year. They sold quick,but I just didn’t have a need. I would get an older one,with just a low/high range trans & No computer gizmos & No hydrostatic trans. Find one with <2,500 hrs & One,or two Owners …and You won’t ever wear it out ?

WishboneW

I have 2 tractors both 1968 models. Ford 4000 and Massey Ferguson 135. Minimal electrical. They do everything I need 7 acres food plots and care. Very rarely need a front end loader. Never needed 4wd. Maintenance is easy and repairs have been needed less than any car or truck I have ever owned.

Since you are familiar with Ford tractors you might try to find a used one. Tractor house.net. Massey 135, 150, 231-250 would work for you as well. Ford 3000 is good. Buy a diesel. More work less fuel and maintenance. Sleeper71 gave good advice.

You can find implements and tractors in the Georgia farmers market bulletin. 10 a year subscription

NMH5050

I bought a JD 4120 43HP 4x4 w/ loader and really like it. I have a 6' bush hog and a 5' harrow and feel it is perfect for this tractor. I used to think 4x4 was not really needed but would never not have it now. My land is rolling hills and it will slip some when the 4x4 in not engaged.

snuffy

Love my Massey 240

I have 2 tractors both 1968 models. Ford 4000 and Massey Ferguson 135. Minimal electrical. They do everything I need 7 acres food plots and care. Very rarely need a front end loader. Never needed 4wd. Maintenance is easy and repairs have been needed less than any car or truck I have ever owned.

Since you are familiar with Ford tractors you might try to find a used one. Tractor house.net. Massey 135, 150, 231-250 would work for you as well. Ford 3000 is good. Buy a diesel. More work less fuel and maintenance. Sleeper71 gave good advice.

You can find implements and tractors in the Georgia farmers market bulletin. 10 a year subscription