Mahindra Tractors?

ssramage

Anyone have experience with the new Mahindra tractors? Specifically thinking about the 4540 4wd 41hp.

I've been using the mess out of my little Ford 1715 that I got last year, but I've run into a bunch of situations where it's just too small and where I wished I had a FEL.

Mahindra is running some decent deals/financing options on their new 4540s and they caught my eye. It's a basic tractor, without a lot of frills, but I'm not sure I see a downside in that...

Thoughts? If I bought this, it could foreseeably be the last tractor I'd ever need to buy for how I use them.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I have had a 5570 for 5 years. No real issues with it, but it does lack some of the finer things a tractor like Kubota or JD would have, like hydraulic engaged PTO. To me, it is less to tear up. The only drawback I have seen on mine is that unless you have the tractor running up at PTO speed, the steering is slow to react. It is hydraulic, and I guess it is because of the lower flow from the pump.

ChidJ

Not that this is a ton of help but 3 of my neighbors have Mahindra tractors and they all like them. one liked it so much he got the Roxor to go with it.

roscoe54

I bought a 1526 with a bucket Good what I use it for I know someone that bought a 4550 They had front axle seal problems dealer work on it three times he traded it in for a JD

aabradley82

Don’t chance it. The tractors themselves are hit or miss quality in the small ones and the bigger ones are junk. Worst part of pink tractors is Mahindra corporate. Absolutely the worst cUstomer serviCe. New tractor couldn’t make it a full hay season. Constantly in shop.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Don’t chance it. The tractors themselves are hit or miss quality in the small ones and the bigger ones are junk. Worst part of pink tractors is Mahindra corporate. Absolutely the worst cUstomer serviCe. New tractor couldn’t make it a full hay season. Constantly in shop.
totally the opposite of what I have experienced

sleepr71

Do the new ones require DEF & all that? I know the older ones were pretty tough/reliable & a good value,for the price. I know everybody has a budget… but I like Kubota (in smaller tractors),or older JD/MF/Ford/NH.

earlthegoat2

Get whichever tractor has the best service in your area.

These days, it’s not an if but when you will need that service. Particularly with anything over 25 hp.

If you want more trouble free tractors that are easier to work on, 2000-2010 Kubotas and JDs are impossible to beat….and impossible to find for working man’s prices.

2000-2010 New Hollands and even Masseys are also preferable to anything from the last 10+ years.

buckpasser

no tractor under 74HP requires DEF by federal regulations

Is that for other vehicle types too? I wonder if that’s why Mahindra tunes down the very much more capable Roxor engine? It is sold at 62hp +\- but can be easily unlocked to around 115 hp or so.

ssramage

Get whichever tractor has the best service in your area.

These days, it’s not an if but when you will need that service. Particularly with anything over 25 hp.

If you want more trouble free tractors that are easier to work on, 2000-2010 Kubotas and JDs are impossible to beat….and impossible to find for working man’s prices.

2000-2010 New Hollands and even Masseys are also preferable to anything from the last 10+ years.

Fortunately, within about an hour of my house I have Kubota/JD/New Holland/Mahindra. I also frequently travel to the Tifton area for work and could tow it along with me to have it serviced there pretty easily which opens up more.

I am also thinking of some of the older Kubotas, but noticed the same thing on price. I'd be looking at a smaller tractor if I went orange, but that's probably ok for my uses.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Is that for other vehicle types too? I wonder if that’s why Mahindra tunes down the very much more capable Roxor engine? It is sold at 62hp +\- but can be easily unlocked to around 115 hp or so.
all the off road vehicles fall under that ruling. Tier 4 engines under 74hp do not require DEF. That is what Takeuchi, Kubota, Bobcat, Caterpillar and all the others make the loaders under 74hp

ssramage

Wellllll.... I changed my mind. As much as I liked the Mahindra, it was going to mean upgrading EVERYTHING all at once and the price just kept creeping on me to the point that I didn't care to do it anymore.

So, I took a drive over to our local orange tractor dealer and really liked the new L2502. For what I do, I think it will be a good machine and all of my implements/trailer are sized for it already. Added the 3rd function and a grapple and called it a day.

The best part is, I was signed up to spread mulch by shovel and wheelbarrow this weekend at our school. Not anymore!