What .22 cal. hunting bullet is best for deer.

watermedic

60 grain Nosler Partitions

Best bullet to use in case of a marginal hit. Any bullet will work in a best case scenario.

Flaustin1

Cant agree with you there. The barnes TTSX and TSX are the best small caliber bullets. Of course this is just my opinion. You can almost count on full, straitline penetration with the Barnes. Very very rarely do they deviate.

Stickman1

I loaded some of these recently, I killed a hog with them and was amazed at the hole. Can't wait for deer season. I also have some 64 grain partitions i haven't loaded yet, but will soon, and I'm looking forward to those.

BTW folks, I think he is talking about a .224 bullet for a .223 Remington round, not a .22 rimfire

They know what he meant it's the pop corn eaters syndrome

Hunter454

I've had great success on deer and hogs with a Hornady 55gr spire point running around 2900 fps, my wife killed the buck in my profile pic with a 45gr hollow point, no pass thru but the chest cavity was soup, it was only about a 40 yd shot,
I shot the 55gr out of my 22-250 too and it was probably the deadliest round I ever shot, wish I still had that rifle

If you use a 75 grain bullet, make sure that you have a 1:7 twist rate. The popular AR rifles (Stag, Bushmaster, RRA, etc) normally use a 1:9 twist rate, and it wont fire the heavier rounds as well. I built my own AR and bought an upper receiver that has a 1:7 twist for that reason. It is a bit fast for 55 grain bullets but are perfect for anything bigger than that.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Anyone ever shot the nosler bonded performance? I just got a box, haven't loaded them yet.

Hit-n-Miss

Barnes TSX 53grains work great in my son's .222. He killed his first with it behind the shoulder and it only went 30 yards. I dropped both of my biggest bucks with it(neck shots) and dozens of others. I believe it would pass thru two deer standing side by side. My wife shot her 1st with it too.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
Here is a chart you might like to check out.

gt40

Attachments

• Bullet weights _ twist.jpg
    Bullet weights _ twist.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 63