What is best for your deer herd?

What do you think is best for your deer herd?

• Fewer deer on the places I hunt

• The same amount of deer on the places I hunt

• More deer on the places I hunt

Results are only viewable after voting.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
When you can’t grow food plots and deer are skinny and unhealthy looking, you have too many does.

They gnawed that one right on down.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I'm glad to hear some folks are using that program, thought it was a great idea when they came out with it.

One of the main reasons we started the program was to help clubs figure out the right number of does to kill. It's a lot easier to get all the members on board when you're goal is a scientific decision coming from a professional biologist and not just the club president. I can't tell you how many club presidents told me they can say the same thing but unless it comes from the biologist people won't get on board.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
One of the main reasons we started the program was to help clubs figure out the right number of does to kill. It's a lot easier to get all the members on board when you're goal is a scientific decision coming from a professional biologist and not just the club president. I can't tell you how many club presidents told me they can say the same thing but unless it comes from the biologist people won't get on board.

It's good to see y'all fulfilling another promise Charlie. :wink: :rockon:

sprewett

I hunt both public and private land. The WMA I hunt has lots of deer. Not gonna say too many but good numbers. The WMA I spend a lot of time at chasing pigs has lots of quality deer, again not too many. One of the areas I hunt private is basically a travel corridor and seems to be a decent amount of deer. The family land in Jeff Davis county is covered up. Too much was Redtop state Park in the late 80s early 90s. There was no vegetation below a certain line. It was nothing to go through the park and see hundreds of the smallest deer you could imagine. While I am by far not an expert and do not pretend to be these are just my opinions.
Because I am mostly a meat hunter I really like how many tags we receive each year. Although, I couldn't kill that many it does give me options. I plan to kill 6 per year and this last I got 4.

Long Cut

When you can’t grow food plots and deer are skinny and unhealthy looking, you have too many does.
We used to see 15 up to 24 does and spikes per plot every evening. Food plots looked exactly like yours.

DMAP Biologist told us to kill 7-10 does (on 61 acres) if the neighbors weren’t going to shoot any.

We’ve taken 12 does in the past 2 years, food plots are phenomenal now. Deer sightings are 2-5 at a time instead of 10+. More mature bucks in daylight as well than ever before.

Attachments

• 9D86C533-8EE4-40CC-9F6E-9CA588363EAE.jpeg
    9D86C533-8EE4-40CC-9F6E-9CA588363EAE.jpeg
    57.7 KB · Views: 15

TJay

I would like to say "a few more deer" but the land mgr clear cut a pretty good portion of the property a few years back and I figure there is a pile of deer hanging out in that saw briar jungle. Lots of food and cover, they seldom show themselves in the light of day. I figure there are a few bucks living to a ripe old age in that clear cut, maybe one of 'em will mess up this year.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That is nowhere I have ever hunted in my life in nearly 50 years of deer hunting.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If you shoot a spike on my land, I'll slap your back, shake your hand, and help you drag it out and skin it and quarter it. If you shoot a doe on my land, you will never be invited back as long as you live.

RatherB

BANNED
If you shoot a spike on my land, I'll slap your back, shake your hand, and help you drag it out and skin it and quarter it. If you shoot a doe on my land, you will never be invited back as long as you live.
Wonder why our lands are so different yet so close. I invited as many people I could to kill as many does as possible last year. Five friends and neighbors killed five big pregnant does at end of season and it didn’t put a dent in the heard. I’m still over run with them.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Wonder why our lands are so different yet so close. I invited as many people I could to kill as many does as possible last year. Five friends and neighbors killed five big pregnant does at end of season and it didn’t put a dent in the heard. I’m still over run with them.
You do you. I like to see deer.

Mexican Squealer

The folks I hunt with (on properties I own) have 0 interest in killing baby bucks so it’s never an issue. It’s not even a conversation in my camp.

buckpasser

I can still clearly remember all the knuckleheads preaching about the way to seeing and killing big bucks was shooting a bunch of does. In my area, that just means seeing nothing afterwards. No thanks.