Do deer associate gunshots with hunters?

Do deer associate gun shots with hunters?

• Yes

Votes: 19 20.2%
  • No

Votes: 75 79.8%
  • I only bow hunt so it doesn’t matter.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

bighonkinjeep

I think it depends how they're raised by their momma.

I've shot.and.missed and had em stand there. Ive shot bucks.and had another walk up 10 minutes later to the same spot. Most normally if I shoot they all run and I dont usually wait long to go get em.
I've seen em run as a four wheeler approaches and Ive seen em follow a 4 wheeler to a feeder and stand on the edge while the feeders are filled.
I've also seen some that approach box stands very warily and inspect each one looking carefully multiple times and sniffing the wind before even entering the field. A lot of times itll be momma with yearlings.
I really dont think theres a hard and fast rule but I do know no matter what I was.hunting or fishing for Grandaddy always said be still and quiet so thats what I do.

Last edited:

bighonkinjeep

Human voices more so than gun shots.
I thought so too but 3 years ago i was hunting a box stand on a property line with my nephew as he was trying to get his first buck. We started hearing voices getting closer until they were right behind us. 3 or 4 fellas were carrying on a conversation laughing and joking for about 30 or 40 minutes and we could hear what they were saying. I told my nephew I hope they leave soon. And after a few more minutes I told him well it looks like our hunts over. As we gathered our things i looked and a buck was coming straight at us up the road through the woods to our right and I told him "dont move" fully expecting the buck to follow a game trail that goes into the woods and around the green field. To my surprise that buck came straight up the road and walked out into the green field about 20 yards in from the edge walking tword the back with those fellas still yapping away. I told my nephew thats what were looking for shoot him. I can imagine the talkers shock and surprise when the braked short barreled .308 let out its roar. I'd bet they were close enough for their ears to start ringing. That was followed by whooping and hollering from the stand as my nephew had taken his first buck. Id like to think this big ol buck had been around long enough to learn a thing or two. Broad daylight in the afternoon too. Not a city deer either we were so far in the boonies you have to drive 15 or 20 minutes from camp twords town to get a cell signal and the milky way at night looks like its at your fingertips.image~7.jpgimage~4.jpg

Last edited:

sleepr71

That deer^^^ was actually smart. He “knew” where the danger was..due to their talking & carrying on.and thought he was safe to check them out. He just didn’t account for that box stand :). I think it depends on what the deer on a particular property are used to. My place is generally quiet..other than Farming activity & noises around the shop. Any considerable shooting will make them nocturnal for a day or two. Chainsaws & Tractors…don’t bother them one bit. Actually attracts them. ATV’s & human traffic…they run from. Same with Dogs/Coyotes/Livestock..run…Leave..!