what is the best time of day for hunting now?

outdoorman

Wow, what a wealth of response
I sure appreciate all the information.
I will be hunting this whole weekend since I have off Saturday, Sunday and Monday to hunt; that's why I want the information on times.
Also it will be a cold with temperatures dropping nearly 20 degrees from last weekend here in Middle Georgia where I will be hunting so sounds like the weather will increase deer activity during daylight hours.

ribber

In my experience and playing percentages, if you're choosing morning or evening, I would choose evening this time of year.
Been hunting @35 years and just haven't seen many on morning hunts post-Thanksgiving. There were a few outlier years, but for the most part, I sleep in and go late evening in December. My trail cams agree with this too. Of course, every area is different so this may not apply everywhere.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I will be hunting this whole weekend since I have off Saturday, Sunday and Monday to hunt; that's why I want the information on times.
Also it will be a cold with temperatures dropping nearly 20 degrees from last weekend here in Middle Georgia where I will be hunting so sounds like the weather will increase deer activity during daylight hours.

Yep. This cool snap will get 'em on their feet. It's all about being at the right place at the right time.

MYRX

Have hope, three of my best bucks have been taken in late December. Two were taken between 8 - 9:45 AM. One 30 min before dark. All were on yearlings most likely coming into heat the first time.

If its below 32F in the AM, if I see a buck this time of year it's usually between 8:30 and 10AM. Guess it depends on where you are hunting.

across the river

You might find this interesting. Speaks on GPS studies done on deer movement. It ultimately is a game of odds, so anytime you can hunt, I would hunt.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Hunt a food source for the last hour of daylight.

Food can be natural, a food plot, or bait you brought in.

James12

If you take an average of the times you’ve gotten in response here, you can see any time you can go is the best. Also, it’s rare you don’t learn something new or figure something out differently each time in the woods. A wealth of wisdom in this thread above.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I just got done with a weeks worth of vacation . Hunted all 7 mornings and 4 afternoons . Pretty sure I seen 11 bucks and killed 1 . 9 of them were in the morning from daylight -9am . But it was awful weather , hot . Also the rut in the area is later than most of the state .

basshappy

BANNED
The movement will be specific and unique to where you are hunting. So unless someone here is hunting same land as you none of their answers may apply to where you are hunting. Topography, temperature, wind, food sources, predators, hunters, etc. are all variables at play. Spend the time learning your area inside and out, you'll identify patterns. Even if it means this season is a wash, you study up for next season. Last season I harvested 1 deer. This season thus far I've harvested 3 deer from that same land, and another from a different property. But I spent a fair amount of time in the Spring and Summer in those two properties learning. And I am certain my homework has paid off.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Good luck and have fun! That’s my advice! One of my favorite sayings from a guy on TV is Go early, stay late, and you will get out of itwhat you put in….something like that!