Slow cooker goose?

willie1971

I was thinking about cooking up some goose breast in a slow cooker with gravy. Any tips or recipes you've tried?

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Never tried that but I will follow this to see what happens. Bet it will be great!!!!!:cool::cool::cool:

JackSprat

Fill us in. Any slow cooked wild goose I've ever attempted to eat was as tough as shoe leather. Maybe in a slow cooker, you can cook it till it tenderizes.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
The only way I've had it where it was edible, was to slice it in small chunks, soak it buttermilk over night, put tenderizer/ seasoning on it, flour/batter it and deep fry for a very short time.

Oh, and drink plenty before eating, best you ever had !!! :cheers:

Big7

The Oracle
I think I'd sling them on a hot fire or griddle
just to medium instead of the slow cooker.

They taste good but get tough quick.

Another way is to cube them if you have
a machine or hammer. Edge of a saucer
in a plastic bag is a winner.

dfhooked

It will be good. Also check out the recipe for a goose breast Rueben in the new ducks unlimited magazine. It looks worth a try if you have some goose in the freezer!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Let us know. I have never eaten a piece of goose that I enjoyed.

Bream Pole

never cooked one, but my oldest son has. He used to do one every Christmas and they were tender and very tasty. Internist I used to go to said he did one on his BGE every Christmas and it was delicious. Dr.s was wild. Son's was domestic. Also a wedding caterer I know always had a goose that people picked meat off of and it was very good. Seems like my son would brine his and then smoke on his weber. Brining is probably key to tenderness.

willie1971

Well, today I cooked 2 large goose breasts, and the family asked for seconds.

Last night, I seasoned with Tony's cajun seasoning.

This morning, the goose was dredged in flour, and pan fried 3 minutes each side until dark brown med-high heat. Then added to the slow cooker, with 2 sliced onions, 2 cans of cream of mushroom and a pack of onion soup mix. Added about a 2 cups of turkey stock, mix well and cooked for 10 hours.

Super tender, fell apart serving over rice. Even my wife said it was pretty good. I tried this with wild turkey thighs and drumsticks and it was pretty good.