Mississippi pot roast questions

Minner

I've heard and read so much about the Mississippi pot roast that I've decided to give it a try soon. I don't have much experience with roasts, so this will be new for me.

What do you all serve this on? I've read rice and mashed potatoes were popular. Also, any sides you all like with it? I thought about adding some chunks of potatoes and carrots in the crock pot but not sure how that would affect the flavor (all the recipes I've seen just have the peppers cooked with the roast).

Any other tips, tricks, etc. will be greatly appreciated!

Swamprat

Swamprat
We always add chunks of potatoes and carrots and always tasted great even with adding the peppers. You really never taste any of the peppers anyway, at least I can't.

Tried it once adding whole radishes (ran out of potatoes) and it was pretty tasty. We also add sliced mushrooms.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
Rice is alright, but I will eat myself sick with Mississippi pot roast served over mashed potatoes. Fried okra as a side would be the end of me.

Last edited:

jbogg

A buddy of mine told me about this recipe a couple years ago, and it’s hands-down my favorite way to eat bear meat. It’s indistinguishable from a good beef roast. My family prefers it over steak. Put the roast on a big bed of Bob Evans mashed potatoes, and oh my, you will eat till your sick.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I only add 1/2 packet ranch and 1/2 packet au jus. too salty otherwise.
Yes, the recipe as-is is veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrry salty.