Hart valve

panfish

I had hart valve repair 4 weeks ago. Just asking how many of y'all had it done? And how long it take you to get back out in woods and back to doing what you used to do. I'm 53 feeling better now then before surgery. My wife is scared I'm pushing my self to hard.

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
I had hart valve repair 4 weeks ago. Just asking how many of y'all had it done? And how long it take you to get back out in woods and back to doing what you used to do. I'm 53 feeling better now then before surgery. My wife is scared I'm pushing my self to hard.

Panfish,
I highly recommend going by what your doctor told you to do as far as activity. Do you have a sternal incision and which valve was replaced?

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
Yes I have a sternal incision. And it was mitral valve..

The heart will heal faster than the sternum. Most surgeons use 6 to 8 stainless steel wires to keep the sternum together. Just like any other bone it will take 3-5 months to be fully healed but like i said, i would go with whatever your surgeon recommends.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Robert, I had quad bypass done 2 years ago. They laced me back up with ss wire. I talked with a surgeon last week about the new stuff they are doing, and he says there is a cement out now that they are gluing the sternum back together, and you are ready to go in a matter of minutes. I know I popped and cracked like crazy every time I moved for months. They say now they can stick you back together with glue, and it helps a lot with the pain too.

ol bob

I had quad bypass done Dr. made me stay out of work 3 months but I was walking a mile with out stopping 7 days after surgery.

panfish

Yes I'm walking a lot. Doing a little consulting work for a friend.. I steal having a good amount of pain in my sternum.. I trying not to take pain pills never liked them.. I guess I'm a little impatient...