Food Plot Anticipation

Wacenturion

Been awhile since I have posted here as I'm a Washingtonian. Broke ground on my first food plots last spring. I have 117 acres in the Blue Mountain foothills south of Dayton and east of Walla Walla.

I planted a mix of Imperial WT clover, chickory, and a dryland alfalfa in one plot and Whitetail Extreme in the upper portion. Came in really well until late June when the Dog Fennel or Mayweed seed that had been sitting idle in the soil took off.

Didn't seem to bother the deer or turkeys but I was unable to mow it before seed set. It's an annual, so this year mowing will commence before the flowering stage. I also heavily over seeded the plots last fall with red clover, additional chickory and sainfoil, an alfalfa like perennial with pink blooms. I also reseeded with a bunch of small burnett, one ingredient in Extreme, which they hammered.

You can see how well the plot was coming in June, then the Mayweed invasion. Somewhat excited to see how things go this year.

Attachments

• foodplotwork6.jpg
    foodplotwork6.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 334
  • foodplotwork5.jpg
    foodplotwork5.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 331
  • foodplotwork10.jpg
    foodplotwork10.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 335
  • upperfoodplot.jpg
    upperfoodplot.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 334
  • upperfoodplot16.jpg
    upperfoodplot16.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 335
Last edited:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Really nice looking area.

Off topic, but do you ever find any Indian Artifacts out there?

Wacenturion

Really nice looking area.

Off topic, but do you ever find any Indian Artifacts out there?

I personally have not found any, with of exception of an older bullet that was exposed when I had atv trails put in with a dozer. However the property lies within the historical Nez Perce tribal range back when. Also other tribes used the area as well...Umatillas etc.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Beautiful country!

Wacenturion

Got quite a lot of turkey use in the plot as well. Several broods on my cellular cam and lots of adults. Great wildlife property. Probably have 600 plus Rio Grande turkeys wintering on or within 1/4 mile as well as cougar, bear, lots of whitetails and some mule deer. Elk (bulls) historically winter on my upper portion and make for great spring shed hunting. Last photo shows several found last Friday on a short hike up one side.

Might add that Spartan GoCam cellular cams are awesome. Being six hours away I get my morning and daily wildlife fix everyday. Having four operating with other normal cams pretty much let me know what is going on.

Attachments

• elksheds.JPG
    elksheds.JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 207
  • cougar10.jpg
    cougar10.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 208
  • bear7.jpg
    bear7.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 207
  • turkeyplot2.jpg
    turkeyplot2.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 206
  • Ranchturkey14.jpg
    Ranchturkey14.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 206

Wacenturion

Couple of the bulls that were packing those sheds caught earlier this year on one of my cams.

Attachments

• elk28.jpg
    elk28.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 207
  • elk15.jpg
    elk15.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 207

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
That sounds like a great mix for Wash.
It that a house in the next to last pic?