3555 Traditional Shafts length????

Salt H2O Scout

I just ordered 12 new Gold Tip 3555 Traditional shafts and when they arrived they were un-cut. I thought that the shafts that I had been shooting were un-cut. The new shafts that came in are 32" long as compared to the 30" shafts that I have been shooting.

I shoot a Flatwoods Custom 3-piece take down longbow; 57# @ 28. My draw length is closer to 30." I shoot a 200gr field tip and a 190gr Simmons tree shark. I killed a 3-pointer last Wednesday.

My main question is, how much will the additional 2" of the new shafts affect my arrow flight? I don't understand all the math that comes with shooting. I was wondering if I should cut 6 shafts at 30" and leave 6 shafts at 32." I am experimenting between 3 and 4 fletch feathers. I don't have the equipment to cut shafts. I will have to pay someone to do that.

Any expertise from this forum would be greatly appreciated.

:huh::huh::huh::huh:

JBranch

Fletch one up, hot glue in the insert and shoot it to see how it flies. I recently added 50 grains up front to mine and saw no change in arrow flight. If there is a difference then heat up the field point and take out the insert and cut them off.

Skunkhound

I have just over a 30" draw, and I never cut my shafts. Try one uncut and see if it makes a difference before cutting them. If you do need to have them cut, I'm sure someone here could do it for you.

Salt H2O Scout

I have just over a 30" draw, and I never cut my shafts. Try one uncut and see if it makes a difference before cutting them. If you do need to have them cut, I'm sure someone here could do it for you.

I am wondering how much difference the 2" will fly?

Barry Duggan

On a carbon shaft, I would think two inches would make a pretty good difference. If they need cutting, I'm in Macon and we can get together, next week, and I can cut them for you...no charge of course.

Salt H2O Scout

On a carbon shaft, I would think two inches would make a pretty good difference. If they need cutting, I'm in Macon and we can get together, next week, and I can cut them for you...no charge of course.

Thanks for the offer. I will probably head over to Baynes in a couple of hours once I get out of the woods.

Munkywrench

First off I would take Barry up on his offer. He can't shoot too good but he's seen some guys who can and may be able to help ya out.
secondly I changed my anchor earlier this year which shortened my draw by 1.5 inches and I am still shooting a full length arrow with no I'll affect, in fact my shooting improved so much from the anchor movement it's hard to say if it changed arrow flight due to draw length also.
it's not just about the arrow. The release and the bow also decide what length and weight arrow you can shoot. If it's a center cut shelf it's very forgiving on arrow differences. If your release tweaks the string a certain way you may need a stiffer or weaker arrow to compensate (though it would be best to fix the form).
These are all reasons why it's best to get up with someone and shoot. Barry is a great guy (don't tell him I said it though) and he will help give a different perspective on shooting and probably a few other things too..