New Trad Shooter

lgard

First post here and only been shooting a recurve for a few days. Im from south GA, been bow hunting from about 14yo (27 now). I have only shot compounds but recently my wife bought me a bear grizzly (1968 I believe). Funny enough once her family caught wind of her buying this bow for me i inherited four other bear recurves from the early 70s. Everything from a kodiak to a supermag 48. I am only focused on the 68 grizzly for now though. It is 48 pounds and 56 amo. Serial number shows 8R11551. I have the shelf set up with a beaver hair rest and a leather riser pad. Both have a thin strip of leather running perpindicular to the arrow for the least amount of friction. Double otter fur silencers on string about 8 inches from riser /string contact. String is a new 14 strand 53 inch dacron from 60x. Brace height is currently 7 3/16 to center of string. Nock point is around 1/4 inch high of center. Shooting autumn orange 2216 aluminums from 3 rivers at full length ( was unsure of my draw length going from compound to recurve). 200 gr. Field tip. Running a leather tab shooting 3 under.

Im looking for some guidance on my setup as im currently getting inconsistent arrow flight. I am hitting my 18 in 1 rinehart at 20 yrds but arrow is tailing every which way. I have a feeling it could be my release technique or the wrong arrow setup as ive never fooled with aluminums and kind of took a blind shot at which spine to get. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.1000000382.jpg1000000381.jpg

Attachments

• 1006231804_HDR.jpg
    1006231804_HDR.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 1006231803_HDR.jpg
    1006231803_HDR.jpg
    429.3 KB · Views: 3

SwampMoss

Sorry I can’t help. If you don’t get an answer here go to Bowsite leather wall I think and post your question. Lots of traditional shooters.

F.A.R.R.

Prolly start with making sure your arrows are right for the bow, Big Jim’s should be pretty close to you. Be worth the trip to go there and get the right arrows and maybe he could watch you shoot and give some pointers. Be time and money well spent and a good way to have the confidence that your arrow spines are what you need and also if you can avoid getting into bad habits ( poor shooting form) that would be of great benefit.

Not having to much tension in your hand on the string and having strong back tension go a long way in having a clean release. This is something that’s easier to type here or say, but easy to not do on every shot -it’s a learning curve for sure but a fun one.

First thing is jack the nock point up to around 5/8"-3/4". 1/4" is way too low for 3 under. The arrow set up should be in the neighborhood but may be slightly stiff even at full length. you may have to play with the point weight some going either direction. I suspect that you arrow flight issues are stemming from your current nock height. Brace height i would say should start at 7-1/2" and go up to about 8". Let know how things go and that's a beautiful bow BTW.

Dennis

If you live close to Big Jim's go there call to make sure he's there. That WILL be the fastest, quickest way to get everything set up correctly and for you to hear why its needs to be that way. That one trip will make more difference in your trad journey than trying to figure out what everyone is saying and figuring it out. Its not rocket science but different in the way you tune things and just to understand why things are done that way will in the long run will help you more than anything. And his many years of experience will be free. But beware he has lots of toys for sale and they are pretty

lgard

Thanks for all of the replies. A couple things im going to change this week..
I bought some 1916 spines, going to tip tune and find the sweet spot only after i remove the strip under my leather riser pad to get closer to center shot. I may play around with the rest material and switch from the beaver hair to a bear rug. I have gotten mixed opinions about which one is best. Big jims is on the priority list for sure.

JeffHampton

What s your draw length? Do you have 2 nocking points? Shooting 3 under with only a top NP the nock will slide down the string on release causing the arrow to wag. If your draw is 28", or close, 2216 is likely too stiff, 1916 likely too light. My suggestion, 500 spine shaft (2016, 2114), 30" long, 145-175 point, double nocking point, brace 7 1/2-8" from the deepest part of the grip.

Gordief

Use "the strip" to adj. your center shot...

there is a big shoot in Ocala first wk-end of march...

lgard

Update. I ordered 1916 autumn orange shafts at 29.5". Tipped them with a 200 gr. Field point. Shooting bullet holes as of now. Total arrow weight is around 510. I had the initial thought of trying an aiming method but didnt see the appeal of shooting a recurve and still having a "sight". After watching several coaches on YT it seems like it came together a bit. Once i stopped thinking so much arrows started grouping tighter. Consistent anchor, pull through release, and a loose grip.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I tell people to quit thinking and let your subconscious do its thing.

HIGH COUNTRY

AS a new shooter also, it seems that I can keep the bow arm up easier and not drop it if I keep a firm grip on the riser, but it seems everyone says keep a loose grip...

Maybe I am not keeping my back elbow up enough, saw on YT Addiction Archery a post about your back muscles kinda control both arms, if back elbow stays up the bow arm stays up and if you drop the back elbow the front will pendulum down...

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I was told by a Mr Quillian that you grip a longbow firmly and if you grip the longbow loosely then shoot a recurve. That’s a polite response to how he told me to shoot.

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
I was told by a Mr Quillian that you grip a longbow firmly and if you grip the longbow loosely then shoot a recurve. That’s a polite response to how he told me to shoot.
Dan sure knew his stuff!!!!!

Good folks here, listen to them. The Leatherwall is good but you will get way to many people giving different advice to keep up with.

Go meet Big Jim he will help you immensely!!!!!

Latest posts