Arrow selection opinions

kayaksteve

I just bought a relatively inexpensive production long bow (would like to build my own after dipping my toes for awhile). I like the idea of going “fully traditional” one piece wood bow/arrows but, besides shooting a recurve as a kid I have no experience in traditional archery. I have a decent understanding of arrows (practically zero in wood) I have no arrow building supplies/experience and nothing but the internet to go off of so far. Should I go ahead and dive into the world of wood arrows right away or should I get some aluminum or carbon arrows to get started then evolve from there?

35lbs at 28” draw. Think I’ll start with my arrows atleast 30” because my actual draw length is more like 29” I think.

earlthegoat2

I went aluminum and still use them for the recurve.

I went with them because, for me, they are easier to work with from a DIY perspective.

I cut them with a pipe cutter. I use hot melt glue for inserts which is reversible so I can tune my point weight back and forth. Arrow tuning is more finicky with non-center shot bows and I find this to be highly advantageous for traditional bows which are not typically center-shot.

Wood would be my second choice since they are also DIY friendly. They are a little more spine sensitive from arrow to arrow but are generally close enough. Cutting and adjusting tip weight is also DIY friendly. I’m not into finishing, cresting, or painting arrows (or anything) so I steer away from them.

I have a fletcher but really any arrow type fletches the same way.

kayaksteve

I went aluminum and still use them for the recurve.

I went with them because, for me, they are easier to work with from a DIY perspective.

I cut them with a pipe cutter. I use hot melt glue for inserts which is reversible so I can tune my point weight back and forth. Arrow tuning is more finicky with non-center shot bows and I find this to be highly advantageous for traditional bows which are not typically center-shot.

Wood would be my second choice since they are also DIY friendly. They are a little more spine sensitive from arrow to arrow but are generally close enough. Cutting and adjusting tip weight is also DIY friendly. I’m not into finishing, cresting, or painting arrows (or anything) so I steer away from them.

I have a fletcher but really any arrow type fletches the same way.
This is probably the direction I will start in. I have plenty to learn for now so there’s no sense in complicating it any more than necessary from the get go. I’m a wood worker so I feel a massive pull towards wood arrows but, realistically it’s probably best to learn some form, skills and knowledge before diving in to deep. Thanks for the advice.

trial&error

I shoot aluminum, carbon, and wood. My Wood arrows are much heavier and it takes aiming corrections for each type. If your only shooting 35# bow go lighter arrows for sure.

dutchman

With that bow at that draw weight and your draw length, I think you'd be wise to begin with 600 spine carbon arrow shafts. You should also be able to use 500 spine with heavier point weight. Everything changes to the stiffer side once you begin cutting them. That much is true with any arrow.

With wood, stuff like cut to center and draw length make more of a difference. Carbon arrows are pretty forgiving.

I have zero experience with aluminum shafts and can add nothing to that conversation.

splatek

UAEC
I would worry less about what the arrows are made of and more about their flight. Carbon arrows as Dutchman mentioned are pretty forgiving. There is something special about a wood arrow slung out of a solid selfbow, but you don’t have to go all in to fully experience traditional bowhunting. Traditional archery can get pretty far from that with ILF bows, etc. some dudes even use sights and releases, that’s where I draw the line but to each their own.
The key would be to have some fun. Get close, and closer. IMHO

kayaksteve

So I got in a dozen 600 spine 32” carbon arrows with 4” feather fletchings. 182 grain arrow, 100 grain brass inserts and I’ve shot a little with my 100 grain field points for a total of 382 grain total arrow weight. I’m gonna get a couple different weight field points and maybe mess with the arrow length a little. I started playing with my nocking point location some this evening. This thing is a blast and I am surprised with how well I’m already shooting.

Antfinn88

So I got in a dozen 600 spine 32” carbon arrows with 4” feather fletchings. 182 grain arrow, 100 grain brass inserts and I’ve shot a little with my 100 grain field points for a total of 382 grain total arrow weight. I’m gonna get a couple different weight field points and maybe mess with the arrow length a little. I started playing with my nocking point location some this evening. This thing is a blast and I am surprised with how well I’m already shooting.
Awesome! You can do an adjustable nock with a small piece of serving so you can move it up and down the string quickly instead of wasting a brass nock everytime you want to change your nock height.