String school

kayaksteve

I’m well into my dive into trad shooting. I’ve set up and tuned my bow. Built my starter arrows (carbon) and got them shooting pretty well. I’ve been shooting daily and developed pretty consistent form. Now I’ve started thinking about strings. I’m shooting the string that came on my long bow. From the reviews I’ve read they are typically not the best strings and it didn’t have any specs for the string. It has 16 strands and i think it is an endless loop string. What should I be looking for when I look for a replacement or upgrade?

Dennis

While there is nothing wrong with endless loop strings most Trad guys like flemish twist strings for what ever reason. The most important thing is using the correct type of string for your bow. Then you can chose how many strands you want and what serving you want. I suggest you contact SBD strings or any of the top string makers for there suggestion they will ask you questions only you can answer and make the string to fit your needs.

earlthegoat2

I am personally a fan of Dacron or B55 strings. Not the fastest but they are quiet and work on all bows.

Doesn’t have to be Flemish it just has to hold a brace height after it has set in.

kayaksteve

Thank y’all for the responses and advice on this thread and others. Y’all have helped me tons. This seems to be one of the best forums on here. Not much non sense, just good information and conversations.

Hillbilly stalker

Make for sure your bow can handle fast flight strings before you order….just in case you decide to go that route. When you decide on a string maker, order 2 strings of different colors. When you get them, shoot both of them in and you will already have a spare if you nick or cut one. Your bow must have re-enforced tips to handle fast flight strings. Some people prefer them because they are a little faster, but all I used were louder also. There is always a trade off in archery. Flemish is what I prefer.