Deck repair questions?

TJay

We have a 12 x 16 (with a 5 1/2 x 2 1/2 cutout for the chimney) deck that is in need of repair. The deck is 16+ years old and it is showing it's age. We will be moving this fall so I don't necessarily want to replace the deck if I don't have to, maybe just the deck boards and some carpenter bee damage. I guess my question is does it make sense to just replace boards or will it work out about the same if we rebuild the whole thing? We have Underdeck under the deck so that would have to be considered as well. When the Underdeck was install the guy said the panels could be re-used but it would probably take someone that is familiar with the product. I am open to suggestions just trying to keep costs down since we are moving.

GA native

Hard to say, repair versus replace. When you get out there and start counting materials, that line will be defined.

I would replace the broken boards, the badly splintered boards, rebuild/reinforce the handrails. Any weakened or broken joists can be replaced or sistered up with sound pt wood.

Then coat it with that Behr deck restore stuff. Be honest about the work done in the disclosure.

Good to go.

biggdogg

Unfortunately, you will need to pull a few boards to see if the joists need replaced. It's is doubtful that you will need to replace more than a few, and some can likely be sistered as was alredy mentioned, but until you actually see them there is know way of knowing.

Jim Baker

Staff member
You hiring it done or DIY?

Check the post at ground level. If they are good Pull half or so of the deck boards starting from the middle, check joists and seals, then re-deck if they are good. Then repeat on the other half. Biggest problem will be removing the screws in the deck. Have a sawsall and several metal cut blades.

sinclair1

Legerboard problems are really the only deal breaker, most other boards can be repaired if the amount doesn't justify ripping it all out.

Have a knowledgeable friend look at it, because a contractor will usually claim it needs to be ripped out and replaced.

Underdecking is a great selling tool, so it would be ashamed to lose that if it's one of the professional type.

transfixer

Keep in mind that whatever repairs you have to do, will likely have to pass inspection when you go to sell the house. And yes, you will need to note what was done on the disclosure .

Keep in mind that whatever repairs you have to do, will likely have to pass inspection when you go to sell the house. And yes, you will need to note what was done on the disclosure .

As a licensed realtor (20+ years), I don't think I necessarily agree with this. The "Homeowner Disclosure" (or whatever it might be called there) typically asks if there are any "current" problems with the laundry list of items it covers. Needed Repairs, competently performed done prior to the listing and filling out the "Homeowner Disclosure" paperwork need not be mentioned.

Of course hiding a defect would not be "legal", but having repairs done prior to listing a home are very common and felt to be the proper thing to do by most professional real estate people. The repairs done prior to listing should absolutely be performed in a manner that realizes a professional home inspector will likely also be used prior to full contract approval.

One other item the OP might consider is that repairs to an older deck may not require a building permit to be gotten, while building a new deck will likely need a permit plus possibly multiple inspections as the new deck is built. This would be something to inquire about from your Building & Codes office. A deck built that long ago may well now also have different code "requirements" as does one built today.

Typically, newer "code" requirements are not required to be met on an older structure, but a home inspector can (may) mention them in his report as "safety findings" as something missing in the old deck.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Suggestion.

Unless you think the looks of this deck will lower the value of the house just do nothing.
Have an estimate in hand for what someone will replace it for and be prepared to discount the asking price by that amount if it becomes an issue to a buyer.

TJay

Thanks for all the good replies. I have replaced a couple of the deck boards a couple of years back and from what I can see the joists look good. I think the underdeck protected them from carpenter bees. I think if I can get it repaired I'll for a reasonable fee I'll do it, but if it looks like it needs to be replaced I'll leave it "as is" and offer to discount the asking price of the house for the deck. Underdeck is nice, if we were going to have a deck at our new house I would do it again in a heartbeat!

1gr8bldr

Most times the joist are fine. However, dbl check the connection where the joist meet the support. Having underdecking is usually because you can walk under it. Been several deaths because the ledger pulled loose from the house and fell on someone. Joist hangers are best