Where is you favorite REGULAR trout water?

Bitteroot

Polar Bear Moderator
No specifics needed. Just where do you like to go?
I fish in Reliance, TN most of the time although I hate the cost of Licence. But the trip is easier for me where I live, and will probably save in the long run v/s driving to Atlanta each time.

My real Favorite is in WY but who can go out there when they want?

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
I fish local and some in the Smokies as well. I fish in Georgia's DH streams a good bit. The DH season runs from November to May. I love Abrams Creek and Little River in the Smokies. I try to make it up there a couple times a year. I will ,Lord Will'n, retire in a couple years and go west to fish in Montana, and Wyoming and other great flyfish'n states. But right now things are just to tight to venture too far from home.

anglerEd

By far, most of my fly fishing has been in the west. 6 years living in Colorado was very good to me. I have my share of regrets about not being out there still. I had the opportunity to spend a good bit of time in Wyoming, and hit up Idaho and Montana for a taste of those waters. Even wet lines in Utah, California, Washington, and Oregon. Midddle Ga makes fly fishing a rareity now days, but when I did live in ATL, I would hit up Dukes Creek every chance I could get. I will take catching the big ones over put take stockers any day. Call up Smithgall Woods and make a reservation. It is public, but closely regulated. Again, big fish. Frankly, I enjoyed the hooch right there in town. At least it got me on the water when I didn't have a full day to commit to fishing.

Bitteroot

Polar Bear Moderator
By far, most of my fly fishing has been in the west. 6 years living in Colorado was very good to me. I have my share of regrets about not being out there still. I had the opportunity to spend a good bit of time in Wyoming, and hit up Idaho and Montana for a taste of those waters. Even wet lines in Utah, California, Washington, and Oregon. Midddle Ga makes fly fishing a rareity now days, but when I did live in ATL, I would hit up Dukes Creek every chance I could get. I will take catching the big ones over put take stockers any day. Call up Smithgall Woods and make a reservation. It is public, but closely regulated. Again, big fish. Frankly, I enjoyed the hooch right there in town. At least it got me on the water when I didn't have a full day to commit to fishing.

Where did you catch the stud in your avatar? Fished Dukes Creek when it first opened many moons ago! Also my wife and I were fishing Waters Creek after we first married and met a couple of other folks on the stream. After several months, an article appeared in the GA Sportsman discussing my wife and I. (my 15 minutes of fame) But point being, I do love the pursuit of big fish. I catch more not so big fish, but still go no matter what. Some days on the Hiwasse in Reliance produce over 30 fish in 4-5 hours of fishing. Mostly on droppers and most fish in the 12 inch range, and ocaisionally a few 18's. Dukes was unbelievable the first time I fished it, and it was on the side of the road opposite the check station. I am not sure but I don't think that has been open in the last few years. My wife and I fished it togther only once, and she was 8 months pregnant, so we didn't wade much for safety reasons. I didn't fish at all, just helped her. She still is the best fishing partner I ever had! But if I could only fish one place again the rest of my life, it would have to be the North Fork of the Shoshone River just east of Yellowstone between Cody and the Park entrance. Fished it for a solid day, and saw one person the entire time, and he was from Norway. We talked, exchanged a few flies, and went on our way. There is truly something magical about the west and flyfishing!

anglerEd

That is a Dukes fish. Came out of the big hole above the check in station. So they closed that section? I havent been recently. Years realy. I am ashamed of how long it has been since I stood in trout water. Been in a bass fishing rut and I need to shake it off this fall. I love the story about swaping flies, with a man from Norway, on the banks of the Shoshone. That is Magic right there. Brings back memories of similar experiences. Beautiful places, people, shareing, and a little angling gets done too.

SheldonMOAC

Like anglerEd, most of my flyfishing was not in the Southeast. I worked in Scotland for 6 years and was able to trout and salmon fish in some of the most pretigious places in the British Isles. My favorite would have been the River Tweed, Biggar and Esk rivers in Scotland and England. The cool thing living there you could fish until 10:00 - 11:00 at night during the summer months of the year and still see a trout take a dry fly. So alot of summers living there I would fish every day with the locals and there was a river tournament every weekend. I was able to learn and fish with people from all over the world. It was an unbelievable experience.

Now living in Atlanta I have fished Dukes Creek and the Hooch many times. I would consider the Hooch my local water and it offers some great fishing for GA especially with very easy access. Hard to compare to Scotland rivers but you can still catch a 22 inch brown.

Hogtown

Almost all my cold water fishing is out west. My favorites are the Gunnison between Almont and Delta, Colorado plus the San Juan in New Mexico. I do however plan to start fishing much more here in the SE beginning this spring and have purchase a new 3 wt specifically for that purpose.

Sargent

I grew up fishing the Hooch.. so that has to be it. However I really like Duke's Creek. I haven't been to Cooper's Creek in a while, but that was fun, too.

chef

Like anglerEd, most of my flyfishing was not in the Southeast. I worked in Scotland for 6 years and was able to trout and salmon fish in some of the most pretigious places in the British Isles. My favorite would have been the River Tweed, Biggar and Esk rivers in Scotland and England. The cool thing living there you could fish until 10:00 - 11:00 at night during the summer months of the year and still see a trout take a dry fly. So alot of summers living there I would fish every day with the locals and there was a river tournament every weekend. I was able to learn and fish with people from all over the world. It was an unbelievable experience.

Now living in Atlanta I have fished Dukes Creek and the Hooch many times. I would consider the Hooch my local water and it offers some great fishing for GA especially with very easy access. Hard to compare to Scotland rivers but you can still catch a 22 inch brown.
i fished the river tweed when i was in scotland, beautiful river caught several browns out of there. my favorite place in georgia is the amicaloa in dawson county during delayed harvest. mainly because it is close to my house, its not the best fishery but the closest and most secluded around me

bonedog

I like the NC DH streams a lot. Heading up there in the morning for a weekend of it. Will try to post some pics and a report Monday.
bd

Lostoutlaw

Well now Born and rasied in Flippin Ark. fishin White river was always my best moved down here in Ga. and fishin the hooch just above Roswell and down I have fished Duke's and Cooper but been some time ago...

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
I like the NC DH streams a lot. Heading up there in the morning for a weekend of it. Will try to post some pics and a report Monday.
bd

Look forward to see'n the pics. Good Luck.