Bear Recipes

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Okay for those who have killed a GA bear, let's hear the recipes. Comments on how the table fare is also interesting. :rofl:

JayTee

Here's how I use the whole bear:

The backstrap I do just like a deer, slice it across the grain 1/2" thick, marinade then cook on the grill.

I cut both shoulders & hams into 3-5lb roasts. Trim off most of the fat. Hand rub with salt, pepper & my favorite spices, then heat a pan with some veg oil. Sear the roast on all sides until lightly brown.
Put it in a roast pan & cut in 1lb carrots, 1lb onions, & 1-2lbs potatoes. Then add 2 packs Lipton onion soup mix & 2 cups water.
Preheat oven to 350 & bake for 3 hrs.
It comes out juicy, tender & better than any beef roast I've ever had.

All the smaller pieces & shank meat get used in stew.

O-Country

Put a chunk roast it in a crock pot cook on low all day(with just salt and pepper) when you get home pour the water and grease out put in fresh water,put in whole potatos and onions (garlic if you like) more salt and pepper if needed continue to cook until potatos and onions are done.Slice the roast and put on a plate with a little of the juice poured on top.A potato and a onion some slaw and a fresh bisquit and you are ready to eat.(don"t forget the sweet tea). If you have any left chip it up put in some BBQ sause and it makes a fine sandwitch.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I like to slice the backstraps, pound the slices out with a meat hammer, and fry them like deer backstrap. The roasts are good done any way you would cook a beef or pork roast-bear meat is almost like a cross between beef and pork. The old-timers around here used to cure the hams and shoulders in the smokehouse along with their pork. You can get some good steaks out of those hams, too, and bear makes really good barbecue. Anybody who says bear isn't good eating has either never tried one or ate a garbage dump bear or one that was handled wrong. I agree that a bear killed from a stand is usually better eating than one that has been run with dogs all day and is full of built-up lactic acid. You can render out the grease, too-I've ate many biscuits over the years that were made with bear grease instead of shortening.

JJ's DEER

bear recipes

I jerked some for a guy last year and it was very good but, it is aggravating to dry in the smoker. It is a very moist meat. We BBQ some each year for some of our customers and that is the way I like it best.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It barbecues more like pork than deer does, because it has a highter fat content like pork. I love deer barbecue, but you have to be careful to keep deer from drying out while cooking. Bear cooks more like pork or beef.