These ladies liked to got themselves killed for being under-gunned

Big7

The Oracle
Better to teach them to shoot what they can hit with.

Just Sayin'.

7 point

Yes you could take someone down with a 22 if you know where to aim

transfixer

It all depends on the person being shot, plenty of criminals have still resisted after being shot with large caliber weapons, it all depends on the person, how many clothes they are wearing the bullet has to go through, whether or not they are on an illicit substance, etc,etc,
Most women don't want to shoot a pistol or revolver that is going to try and jump out of their hand when they pull the trigger, their hand strength is generally not as strong as a man, so it comes down to what they can shoot comfortably and accurately, plenty of ammo choices for .38's and .380's out there that will do the job if the round is put in the right place.

Anvil Head

Agree with Trans. Practiced control and point of aim are the keys and lots of it. Just having a gun is not enough. However, who's to say this thug wouldn't have killed the ladies out right if they didn't have the gun?

Even with all that said, I like to make big holes that let the air in and the blood out. Very few have ever walked through a .45.

rayjay

The lesson here is less about the guns and more about the mindset and tactics of the two women.

Stump Shooter

Also agree with Trans, gotta do more than learn how to shoot. Need to learn the dynamic of a gun fight and understand what it takes to stop a person with a strong mindset. Person with a strong mindset will not stop, until he leaks out or you hit the disconnect switch. You might find some interesting readings out there that might save your life one day.

WaltL1

Looks to me the main problem is they stopped shooting.
Several times there was separation between them and they should have been pulling the trigger(s).
Was also multiple opportunities to put rounds in his dome that would have ended it fast.
When he was wrestling with Mom the daughter was too busy on the phone and could have taken 1 step forward and scrambled his brains.
I know, easy to say ^ ..... but it wasn't the calibers(s) that allowed this particular attack to continue.

bevills1

I'd always thought the 380 was inadequate until I saw a Guns&Ammo TV show where they tested Hornady Critical Defense 380 ammo which expanded well and penetrated well in ballistic gelatin. There's a 11 minute video comparing various 380 loads performance in gelatin and denim at https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...42864173A1C0064F2F03428641&FORM=VDQVAP&ajf=60. Choosing one of the loadings in the tester's winners' circle would be the best defensive 380 loads imo. I suspect those same loads in 38 special would be good choices too since velocities are are similar.

wareagle700

They weren't using the gun right. It's not pepper spray, shoot until it quits moving.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Just in case the point has not been made well enough yet-

Once a threat calls for a defensive shot, do not stop shooting until the threat is ended.

leoparddog

Just in case the point has not been made well enough yet-

Once a threat calls for a defensive shot, do not stop shooting until the threat is ended.

I made my wife watch it and pointed this out to her. He was facing her in the store and she was yelling at him when she and her daughter should have been shooting. Once you decide you need to start shooting, you don't stop until there their is no longer a threat

weagle

The lesson here is less about the guns and more about the mindset and tactics of the two women.

Yep.

I'm not going to Monday morning QB because they prevailed and not only saved their own lives, but probably some other future victims.

They obeyed the # 1 rule of a gun fight "bring a gun"

All of the chaos that went on offers many lessons on tactics and firearms choice, but in the end Rule #1 is the most important.

GeorgiaBob

I bought my wife a 380 (Ruger LCP) and put a red laser on it so she can see where it is pointing even in the most hi stress situation.

It doesn't matter whether the handgun is 380, 9mm, 10mm, .32cal, .40cal or .45cal, or some kind of wheel gun, some bad guys will continue an assault unless a head shot penetrates and stops brain function. With enough PCP in their system to be blissfully violent, or enough heroin to not "feel" the pain, some assailants simply will not stop. That's why I emphasize to my wife, "keep shooting and retreat." I tell her that it is OK to drop the LCP and run after all 7 shots (6+1). I really don't care if a bad guy picks up her EMPTY LCP. I don't even care whether she missed a time or two. I just care that she is unharmed after an attempted assault.

In the real world, the first time a 380 goes "BANG," the people in front of the barrel - including any bad guys - will generally start moving AWAY from the gun. There are many documented cases of defensive gun use when an assailant/robber completely forgot they were holding a weapon when their intended victim pulled the trigger. It is loud behind a 380, it is PAINFULLY loud in front - even if you are not hit by the bullet!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I agree, they should never have stopped. The other thing I see in this video is the foolishness of having a gun for defense kept anywhere except on your person. A gun under the counter might as well be on the moon in some situations.

BTW, I would not carry a .380 or .38.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
WOW!!!! Scary video!!!
I think main problem was mom not keeping that seperation between her and the burglar. Never let that into your personal space no matter what!
I'm not a fan of 38 or 380 any way. I like 357 mag and 9mm.
Not to be picking that one self defence cal is better than the other. I think keep your space between you and burglar.
But I've never been in the a situation like that so I imagine I would be just as confused. But it was scary seein the burglar with his hands on the moms gun