Boat #3 - Beginner Rebuild

pine nut

I had a Scout 185 CC and I could walk all the way to the transom. It had a live-well on the port side and Battery stowage on the right. It had sculpers that made clean up a lot easier than the Pathfinder I have now. I liked the access to the motor and the stern but the clean up without fear of something stopping up the below deck tubing that drained the floor. It was self bailing which I really enjoyed by knowing it would not sink left in the water overnight. It was light weight and floated like a cork.

Before this boat I had an old 73 model Cobia 18 1/2 ft. I put in a new transom and new stringers and floor. The original floor was about 1/2 " I went back with a 3/4 inch floor whick was probably a mistake because it was so much heavier. I also cut 2" holes in every floor compartment and foamed the entire bottom, replaced the plugs and fiber glassed them back in. All wood below decks was fiber glass encased before being placed below deck. Made a boat that was good underway and could have taken two direct torpedo hits and not sunk but was HEAVY! I put a lot of money and time and effort into it, but when I went to trade it for the Scout I got really burned. It was still a 73 boat. Just sayin' Good luck with your build!

Scallen2112

Thanks, Pine Nut. This one is more about learning and giving a retired guy a project to work on. I'm not even sure I'm going to keep it after I get it done. We have a Hydra Sports 2500 WA that we can take on the Atlantic, but we cant get it up in the shallows or back in the creeks. We have a 16' Tracker Panfish that will take us way back in the creek, but it can get real dicey real quick in just the rivers when the wind starts blowing and the tide starts running, so we are limited in it to fishing really smooth days. So we are going to see if this one gives us a happy medium for trout and redfish in the sound and the rivers. If it works out, we may or may not get rid of the Tracker, as I don't want to maintain and insure three boats.

On the build side, I got all the wood out of the transom and it sanded down. Now to make the template and cut the two plywood slabs for the transom. I'm going to coat them with a couple coats of epoxy then sandwich them together with a layer of chop strand between them. Before in stalling, I am going to use a little thickened epoxy up against the outer skin to help fill dips from grinding and then a layer of chop strand and a layer of 1708 before clamping the transom in. The bottom and sides of the wood will be bedded in thickened epoxy (peanut butter) and filleted to ease the corners. Then 4 layers of glass (CSM,1708,CSM,1708). I'm raising it to a 25" transom, so I will have to grind a taper in the back skin out about 8" and wrap the glass over and tie in. A lot of fairing and sanding work ahead, But I would prefer the higher transom.

JSdskz.jpg

Scallen2112

Back at it after kind of a bad year. I have the new transom in, all the old stringers and stuff removed about half way up so I can get back to building the back half, and now a plan. I went simpler than I was originally intending and deleted the back casting deck - opting instead to put in a swing-back cooler seat so I can turn around and fish (even troll) from the helm, but still have room to stand up.

Layout-Model.jpg

The facebook group "DIY BOAT BUILDER AND REPAIR" has some very knowledgeable people and always ready to assist. I've built a couple wooden boats and loved it, I really want to do a boat like yours, but don't have the time. Maybe someday.
Good Luck!

watermedic

It's not going to be offshore ( I have a Hydra Sports 2500 WA for that), but I was thinking about raising the transom some. I'm not a big fan of those deep cutouts. I think it was set up for a 20" shaft motor, so I guess I could rais it 5" and use a 25.

Square off the transom and put a jack plate for the motor to mount on.

Scallen2112

Too late. The transom is already in. I raised it to 25", so I'll have to find a used 25" shaft motor for it. Probably would be a good idea, but an added cost on a very tight budget.

KIMG0189.JPG

Scallen2112

New transom is in, and has it's first tabbing and layer of glass. ALMOST done hogging out all the old rotten stringers, tabbing and foam. What a chore! I'm going to leave the little bit left in the front until later to help support the shape while I build the new stern structure.

KIMG0783.JPG

KIMG0784.JPG

bilgerat

Senior
check out classicseacraft.com, Its a forum dedicated to restoring classic seacraft boats, theres tons of rebuild threads on there that can give you ideas and members who have restored many boats that will be glad to give you tips and advice

Mexican Squealer

Looking good...just curious though...why not put all that talent into an older boat that would really gain value with the restoration...like a Hewes, ****’s Bay or Dolphin flats boat..or an old Seacraft hull. Nice job!

Scallen2112

Looking good...just curious though...why not put all that talent into an older boat that would really gain value with the restoration...like a Hewes, ****’s Bay or Dolphin flats boat..or an old Seacraft hull. Nice job!

Because I got this hull for $200 with a trailer and sold the trailer for 75. This is a boat to bridge the gap in what I already have. I have a, '87 Hydrasports 2500WA with twin Honda 150s. I use it out on the ocean and the deeper parts of the sound, but I can't really get it into skinny water. Than I have a 16' Tracker Panfish that I use back in the creeks, but I can only get it on the sound and larger rivers on really calm days. Had a few tense experiences when the tide was going out and the wind coming in and ran into 2-3' rollers stacked up trying to get back to the ramp. This will probably replace the Tracker altogether, give me more range, and let me fish more areas in the sound. I probably wont sell it when I'm done, as the build will probably last the rest of my life, so I'm not really worried about resale value. Plus, it's a cheaper learning experience and one day I am going to have to put what I learn into restoring the Hydra Sports.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I did just see a 20' Dusky listed at $750 that can probably be had for a lot less though. Gave a little thought to switching over to it, but I have already put a lot of work into this one.

Consider this what you just said and read it again.
I seriously doubt this boat will be what you really want to spend so much time effort and money completely restoring.
Considering the actual hours and down time versus buying a better condition boat and hitting the water sooner. I know you wanted a project but that’s some serious professional restoring needed for that hull.
With boats a dime a dozen you’d come out cheaper just buying something in much better condition. Bail out while you still can.

bilgerat

Senior
work with what ya got!!! Im sure you will have a fine fishing machine when your done, Ive redone a few over the years, restored a few whalers back in My younger days and Ive had 3 Seacrafts over the years .you cant beat the ride of their hull design. the 20' was voted 2nd best fishing boat ever by salt water sportsman magazine.
https://www.saltwatersportsman.com/top-50-sport-fishing-boats-all-time/
heres a few pics of the 3 I had. old yeller was a 20' 1972 Seafari, Lil blue was a 1973 20 septer and the Fish you were here is a 1972 25" Seafari with twin 150 black maxes. I restored all 3 with the exception of the gel coat/paint. i tried to keep them as original looking as I could.IMG_0111.JPGnot-specified-sceptre-238278.jpgIMG_0860.JPG

bilgerat

Senior
its hobby and a passion for me, plus aint no way I could afford a new boat outfitted the way Id want one.

Riplukelee

Consider this what you just said and read it again.
I seriously doubt this boat will be what you really want to spend so much time effort and money completely restoring.
Considering the actual hours and down time versus buying a better condition boat and hitting the water sooner. I know you wanted a project but that’s some serious professional restoring needed for that hull.
With boats a dime a dozen you’d come out cheaper just buying something in much better condition. Bail out while you still can.
Scallen2112
I can relate. Nothing can compare to the satisfaction of creating what you are going to create. We don’t fish because it economical. It’s the process that I love most. I think it’s the same for the restoration. You have the boat and you get to complete the journey!!! Good luck man