Your highest elevation GA buck?

Killer Kyle

I need to get whatever boots critterslayer and tree cutter are wearing !

They must have some seriously good mojo on them! I'll bet you if you offered them $300.00, they wouldn't sell them. This year I retired my Wolverines after four years of faithful service, and much blood and many ridges climbed. I never thought they'd hold up for four years, but by God they did. I nearly cried when I bought my new Merrill's and put the wolves on the shelf. I put them at the top of my bookshelf because I can't throw them away. I just can't. Those boots hiked several thousand miles with me, and bathed in the blood of many animals. Deer, bear, turkey, and MANY hogs. They carried me to most of my happiest memories for four years.
Its weird how I can love something so weird as a shoe. Anybody else find it hard to toss old, junky hunting crap because of the memories attached to them?

The mtn man

They must have some seriously good mojo on them! I'll bet you if you offered them $300.00, they wouldn't sell them. This year I retired my Wolverines after four years of faithful service, and much blood and many ridges climbed. I never thought they'd hold up for four years, but by God they did. I nearly cried when I bought my new Merrill's and put the wolves on the shelf. I put them at the top of my bookshelf because I can't throw them away. I just can't. Those boots hiked several thousand miles with me, and bathed in the blood of many animals. Deer, bear, turkey, and MANY hogs. They carried me to most of my happiest memories for four years.
Its weird how I can love something so weird as a shoe. Anybody else find it hard to toss old, junky hunting crap because of the memories attached to them?

YES!!!! Lol

:yeah:Hey chatooga river hunter, I wish you would go to elberton and leave those Mtn deer alone.

Hey buddy, you stay on your side of the highway and I'll stay on mine. Then we can meet in the middle later in the season. Besides, I invited you to Elbert and you declined. Something about you not wanting to shoot all my deer.

cookie1969

Hey buddy, you stay on your side of the highway and I'll stay on mine. Then we can meet in the middle later in the season. Besides, I invited you to Elbert and you declined. Something about you not wanting to shoot all my deer.

These hills are starting to take a toll on me. Elberton is starting to sound better each day. I promise to shoot only does.::ke:

cookie1969

High elevation buck

Thought chattooga river hunter might enjoy this one.

Attachments

• 0908120919a.jpg
    0908120919a.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 415
Last edited:

jbogg

Dang guys! I don't know how I missed this thread but this is awesome. Some incredible pics! This will be my first fall hunting the mountains and I know the learning curve will be steep as well as the climbs. Can't wait for fall.

bowhunterdavid

I love to hunt high places, I know this don't count but the goat in my picture here was over 9000 feet in british Columbia, it was amazing up there. Good luck this year.

ripplerider

I found a lot of deer sign yesterday from 4200' down to about 3600'. I was surprised to find so many piles of droppings that high some old horning too. Unfortunately there was a lot more hog sign too that high. And of course plenty of bear sign. Hog sign was pretty much continious all the way to the truck at about 2200'. Critterslayer you can easily find out roughly the elevation you killed that buck at. If you dont have the Forest Service topo map theres several sites online you can look the maps up on for free. I use Mytopo. Just P.M. me directions and I'll help you figure it out. Just kidding I wouldnt tell my brother where I killed that hoss.

mtnDoc

Great thread guys! Some dandy mtn bucks posted...

I have sent out some PMs to some of you guys. I'm in WNC and trying to expand my hunting to the national forests here... mainly Pisgah... Would you guys be willing to divulge any tips on how you go about finding deer, or hunting for big bucks in the rut? I assume most of you get up pretty high on the ridges, and near laurel thickets. Do you try and hunt the leeward side of ridges based off the prevailing wind? I know wind swirls in our mountains are tough... Thanks in advance for any knowledge, I love talking mtn hunting.