Retriever Training Video

mattuga

Banned
Sorry, been out for a while...the reason I advocate AGAINST Freddy is his stuff is incomplete. There is NO comparison in his program and either of the big 2, smartwork and trt. And lastly, Why in earth would anyone follow a program from a fella that sends his dogs to another trainer to be trained. You say my comment lacked class? And that I'm childish? Why? I didn't call him out. I said please don't use his videos as the "program" to train your dog. But since your so intent on painting me the villain, go fix a dozen or so dogs trained using Freddys you tube crap and you'll have a better understanding why most professionals suggest Graham or Lardy. And before you ask, yes, I have. I'll leave you with this Matt, from UGA...
"If you think hiring a good dog trainer is expensive, try hiring a bad one first." The same can be said for programs.

Some solid points in there. I would just expect to back up a strong statement against someone who does what you do. I do like some of his advice. Aside from Freddy I'm still not sure why incorporating mutliple programs is so bad but I don't have the experience to say otherwise. I will say Freddy exxeggerates the distance of a retrieve like no other and "I can guarantee you boys that!"

Water Swat

Aside from Freddy I'm still not sure why incorporating mutliple programs is so bad but I don't have the experience to say otherwise.

the problem with incorporating multiple programs in 1 dog is this. While Rex Carr had a huge impact (as Killer elite) has said before, on most all modern trainers. Many have their own sequence by which they introduce certain things. There is a pretty big difference in Mike Lardy's progression of using an e-collar through T-work than Evan Grahams. While Lardy is going to revert back to ear pinch for many issues, Graham has already instituted the collar fetch and might revert back to fetch-nick-fetch. And then on the other hand, Bill Hillman is introducing young pups to collar fetch with light nicks and not using ear pinch. All 3 have great success, yet go about it differently to get from point a to point b. It's not fair to the dog at that point to try and bounce back and forth. A TRT trained dog may not understand the force to pile with a collar at the same time as a Smartwork trained dog. A hillman trained pup is not going to respond well to you ear pinching him to a bird....Pick one and stick with it. Any one of those make great dogs from start to finish.

mattuga

Banned
the problem with incorporating multiple programs in 1 dog is this. While Rex Carr had a huge impact (as Killer elite) has said before, on most all modern trainers. Many have their own sequence by which they introduce certain things. There is a pretty big difference in Mike Lardy's progression of using an e-collar through T-work than Evan Grahams. While Lardy is going to revert back to ear pinch for many issues, Graham has already instituted the collar fetch and might revert back to fetch-nick-fetch. And then on the other hand, Bill Hillman is introducing young pups to collar fetch with light nicks and not using ear pinch. All 3 have great success, yet go about it differently to get from point a to point b. It's not fair to the dog at that point to try and bounce back and forth. A TRT trained dog may not understand the force to pile with a collar at the same time as a Smartwork trained dog. A hillman trained pup is not going to respond well to you ear pinching him to a bird....Pick one and stick with it. Any one of those make great dogs from start to finish.

Makes sense, thank you for taking time to explain. I've heard a reason before but not that clear. I was thinking more elementary level....I like to pull multiple recipes for something (say gumbo) and take what I like form them, I see that is a poor analogy. My 10yo dog is mostly steady and plenty good enough for my first trained dog but I can see how much better she would've been sticking to a program. I learned a lot from this thread.

To the OP, looks like you are a couple weeks away from pickin up. Post pics when the little one is yours!

Buy the book water dog and just drive on. The program that everybody used when I was young. No Ecollar. No way to fix a bad dog . Just beat them down . Thats the way it was back in the day. A can full of rocks a wrist rocket, bull prod and a check cord.
Dog training 1980s style , Retreiver training is just leaps and bounds better compared to back in the dark ages . You young guys just do not know.

Last edited:

Water Swat

Buy the book water dog and just drive on. The program that everybody used when I was young. No Ecollar. No way to fix a bad dog . Just beat them down . Thats the way it was back in the day. A can full of rocks a wrist rocket, bull prod and a check cord.
Dog training 1980s style , Retreiver training is just leaps and bounds better compared to back in the dark ages . You young guys just do not know.

I have the old rex carr seminar on tape when dave rorem worked for him. Times sure have changed. But it's great material for sure.

Joe Overby

No way the snowflakes today could take having to learn from Rex...

The best thing is an ecollar and the worst thing is an ecollar. My first ecollar cost me 400 bucks in 1980 money and it was used. Tritronics A180 . two buttons one to burn one to warn. only max level of stimulation. I was lucky I had folks to teach me. Others did not and there were some dogs that were in real terror and pain.

AllTerrainAngler

Freddy king has a website with subscriptions not facebook. His website is not "incomplete" like his old videos are. They are extremely informative and easy to follow. He sends his dogs to Chris Akins At webb Foot Kennels to get them to the master level. Freddy has a GREAT website for someone wanting to train their dog to be a good duck dog but by no means will you have a master level dog from the videos I have seen.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
So someone who can't or won't get their dog to a master hunter level is competent enough for folks to follow their training program? I can't see that. A dog who isn't at a senior or seasoned level by hrc and akc standards has no business in a duck blind. They ain't ready for what all can happen. I took my current female from pup to HRCH and master hunter by 3 years old, I'm not a pro, and I'm not gonna give advice or training tips for money over the www. But I still trust real pros for advice. Most of the top pros follow a program that they were apprenticed under, and they stick with it, maybe with a few of their own tweaks. So unless your Carr, Lardy, Hillmann, etc...and you are likely using a modified version of one of the tried and true methods mentioned.

jerry russell

There are several decent programs out there but I just don't think you can go wrong with the Snartworks program.