Dressing types, etc.

Artfuldodger

Well in most of the South dressing is cornbread. At least mostly cornbread. I was reading some history on stuffing, dressing, and filling. Apparently parts of Pennsylvania call it filling.
With the cornbread one adds a bit of light bread, biscuits, or whatever. Too much and it don't taste right.

I'm wondering what one uses for stock if they deep fry their turkey? I guess chicken broth in the box would be a good substitute.

Next comes gravy. The Jennie-O gravy packet is good but it's more of a regular brown cafeteria gravy. Like what you would put on sliced turkey and mashed taters.
Traditionally it's giblet gravy. I like giblet gravy. My SIL makes giblet gravy and a cream gravy with cream of chicken soup.
My Mom's dressing doesn't need gravy. It's moist enough with the turkey stock and evaporated milk. I've seen some dressing that was so dry you could cut it in squares. That kind does need some type of gravy.

I was grown before I tasted Oyster Dressing or Sausage Dressing. Both variations are good to me. I was reading about one guy who said his Mom would place a few oysters in one end of the roaster for the folks who wanted oyster dressing. I don't know if my wife would go for that. She'd probably say "get your own pan."

Moving over to the Gulf Coast and Louisiana one finds variations of Rice Dressing and Dirty Rice Dressing. I have a recipe that uses sausage and ground beef. Looks pretty good but I haven't tried it. I think it's labeled Cajun Rice Dressing. I even saw a rice dressing sandwich. Must be a variation of a Loose Meat Sandwich with rice.

Here is a White Castle Stuffing recipe that uses tore up hamburgers as it's base;

https://www.whitecastle.com/food/recipes/recipes/white-castle-turkey-stuffing

Dr. Strangelove

Artfuldodger;10991081 Here is a White Castle Stuffing recipe that uses tore up hamburgers as it's base; [url said:
https://www.whitecastle.com/food/recipes/recipes/white-castle-turkey-stuffing[/url]

Oh my goodness. I thought I had seen everything.

I was looking for something "different" to take to a Thanksgiving gathering tomorrow, if Krystal is open tomorrow morning I'm gonna southern that up by using Krystals instead.

Thanks, Artfuldodger!

Dr. Strangelove

Artfuldodger said:
I'm wondering what one uses for stock if they deep fry their turkey? I guess chicken broth in the box would be a good substitute.

I get around that by just cooking another turkey on the Egg Mad-Max style (google it) if I do deep-fry one.

Paleo

Dump Trump Movement CEO
Gravy is made with the turkey drippings, flour and stock/broth and maybe onions/shallots. You can"make ahead" with a roux from butter/flour/onions/seasoning and add to the drippings after the turkey is cooked. One year I made quarts of extra gravy ahead of time from roast turkey wings and vegetables (I hate to run out of gravy, I prefer hot turkey sandwiches to the actual Thanksgiving meal).

I was born, raised and always lived in the South but my ancestry is Yankee. We call it "stuffing" even if it all isn't cooked in the bird. The "usual" is Pepperidge Farm hard bread crumb dressing with ground pork/onions/celery/butter and broth. I've also had/made variants with white bread, quahogs (clams) and Portuguese sausage (chourico/linguica). I made a cornbread/giblet/sausage "dressing" when I lived in the Florida Panhandle for a while.

Only do the "Stovetop" when there is a lot of leftovers or cook a frozen after-Thanksgiving discount turkey from the freezer "post season".

tsharp

Here is a very easy rice dressing I used often. 1lb. of ground chuck, 1 round pack of breakfast sausage and 1 diced onion. Brown you ground chuck then add your breakfast sausage mix to it. After both are brown then remove the meat and strain, leave just enough oil to brown your onions. After your onions are clear, then add your meat. Boil your rice after your rice is cooked spoon in enough rice to get equal rice and meat. Season to taste. Try it you going to like it, leave it sit awhile the rice will absorb the liquid the rice will turn brown. That is why they call it dirty rice!

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Southern Corn Bread Dressing here. As long as it has sage. It's all good. :cool:

PopPop

Gone But Not Forgotten
Cornbread, celery, onion, boiled eggs, salt, pepper and Sage. Just like Mama fixed it.

Pointpuller

I have been doing shrimp and grits dressing the last 3 years and its a hit. Got it from a Southern Living Magazine. Coarse I pep it up a little with some Tony Cacheres!

Hornet22

ROMEO
I have been doing shrimp and grits dressing the last 3 years and its a hit. Got it from a Southern Living Magazine. Coarse I pep it up a little with some Tony Cacheres!

Oh my my! You got some directions to share Pp?

:cheers:

little rascal

Dressing vs stuffing

In the country we call it Dressing, "pan dressing". Crumbled cornbread with dry white breadcrumbs, celery, a little onion, salt, pepper and enough chicken or turkey broth to make it look like hushpuppy mix. The key is to make it ahead of time, mix it and put it in the casserole dish in the fridge overnight to let it set up. The bake it the next day.
My Mom's dressing doesn't need gravy. It's moist enough with the turkey stock and evaporated milk. I've seen some dressing that was so dry you could cut it in squares. That kind does need some type of gravy.
I don't like no gravy on it, but when you can take a square and eat it on the fly like it was a biscuit that's the way I like it.
Rice dressings are a whole different animal and they are good. Crawfish rice dressing is off the charts. Boudin is almost a pork rice dressing, it's just stuffed in a casing.

Stuffing is stuffing and used for, well, stuffing stuff.
I have made pan dressing from stuffing before but you gotta add the broth and refrigerate it then bake it. Not as good as southern dressing, but will work in a pinch.

Artfuldodger

Here is a very easy rice dressing I used often. 1lb. of ground chuck, 1 round pack of breakfast sausage and 1 diced onion. Brown you ground chuck then add your breakfast sausage mix to it. After both are brown then remove the meat and strain, leave just enough oil to brown your onions. After your onions are clear, then add your meat. Boil your rice after your rice is cooked spoon in enough rice to get equal rice and meat. Season to taste. Try it you going to like it, leave it sit awhile the rice will absorb the liquid the rice will turn brown. That is why they call it dirty rice!

You talking like one of those tubes Jimmy Dean comes in?
Recipe sounds good.

Artfuldodger

I know it's not really dressing but Jiffy mix corn casserole is pretty good. We had that today. I ate it with my butterbeans.

1 pkg. " JIFFY" Corn Muffin Mix. Find Locally. Buy Online. More Info.
1/2 cup margarine or butter, melted.
1 can (8-3/4 oz.) whole kernel corn, drained.
1 can (8-1/4 oz.) cream style corn.
1 cup sour cream.
2 eggs.
Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 1-1/2 quart casserole dish.

Pour margarine or butter and corn into dish. Blend in sour cream. In separate bowl, beat eggs and stir into casserole. Add muffin mix. Blend thoroughly. Bake 35 - 40 minutes or until center is firm.

Could add this to it;
1-2 jalapenos, finely chopped
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Pointpuller

Oh my my! You got some directions to share Pp?

:cheers:
Ingredients

1 pound peeled, medium-size raw shrimp (5 1/60 count)
3 cups chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 cup uncooked regular grits
1/2 cup butter
3 large eggs lightly beaten
1 red bell pepper diced
1 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
1 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

How to Make It

Step 1
Preheat oven to 325°. Devein shrimp, if desired.

Step 2
Bring broth and next 2 ingredients to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk in grits, and return to a boil; reduce heat to low, and stir in butter. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat.

Step 3
Stir together eggs and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Gradually stir about one-fourth of hot grits mixture into egg mixture; add egg mixture to remaining hot grits mixture, stirring constantly. Stir in shrimp until blended. Pour grits mixture into a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish.

Step 4
Bake at 325º for 55 minutes to 1 hour or until mixture is set. Let stand 10 minutes.

Only thing I have modified is I like to cut the shrimp in pieces so they get better distributed, I use 3/4 cup more of chicken broth than is called for to make it moister, I use enriched yellow grits and I use a generous sprinkling of Tony Cacheres. Enjoy.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Ingredients

3 cups chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1 red bell pepper diced

How to Make It

Step 1

Step 2
Bring broth and next 2 ingredients to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk in grits, and return to a boil; reduce heat to low, and stir in butter. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat.

Step 3
Stir together eggs and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Gradually stir about one-fourth of hot grits mixture into egg mixture; add egg mixture to remaining hot grits mixture, stirring constantly. Stir in shrimp until blended. Pour grits mixture into a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish.

Step 4
Bake at 325º for 55 minutes to 1 hour or until mixture is set. Let stand 10 minutes.

Only thing I have modified is I like to cut the shrimp in pieces so they get better distributed, I use 3/4 cup more of chicken broth than is called for to make it moister, I use enriched yellow grits and I use a generous sprinkling of Tony Cacheres. Enjoy.

Thank you! :cool: H22 grew up in Low Country S.C. He's been looking for this recipe his Aunt always made at Edisto beach for years. Could neva find it. He said this sounds just like it. :clap::clap:

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Southern Corn Bread Dressing here. As long as it has sage. It's all good. :cool:

My wife makes a great cornbread dressing that's just moist enough to need no gravy. She puts rubbed sage in it.

One time at a church campout, she made her dressing in the camper oven. Except she didn't use sage. The jar she picked up was labeled "rubbed sage" but I had used an old empty jar to put my dried and crushed green cayennes. I guess I hadn't informed her. There were lots of runny noses and watery eyes around the table that evening.:bounce:

little rascal

Betcha

There were lots of runny noses and watery eyes around the table that evening.
They still thought it was some of the best dressing they ever had!
I put heat in everything, never thought about spicy dressing. Thanks for the idea!:bounce:

Wycliff

Ingredients

3 cups chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1 red bell pepper diced

How to Make It

Step 1

Step 2

Step 3

Step 4

I make it the same way but I double the cheese