Bear Attractants

Bkeepr

I saw a bowhunt for bears in Saskatchewan on TV last night. The person hunted with a crossbow over bait stations. She shot a bear that was sniffing around while she was on the ground walking to the stand. The bolts had Rage broadheads on them, and the bear was hit in the side behind the front leg but ran off. The guide looked for 2 hours but they couldn't find the bear. :huh: (maybe they need a tracking dog) So she sat over the bait and shot another one the next day. Seemed boring. The bears were not wary at all, except to watch out for bigger bears.

LanceColeman

As for the LE checking a bear's mouth and stomach...

Just because there's something other than a bug or an acorn in his mouth... doesn't have anything to do with me putting it out or even knowing about it...

To make a case against someone from stomach contents is IMO, ridiculous...

Maybe I need to put out some Ex-Lax and hope for a good bear colon cleanse before crossing our little piece of property...

Lemme tell ya sumpin brother. Doesn't matter if they CAN make a case against you or not. All they need is the slightest reason to TRY. And do not for one second think they will not ask you to take them in and show you the gut pile so they can inspect it, AS WELL AS THE SURROUNDING AREAS AND WHERE YOU SHOT IT. Now i dunno about you?? But If I just spent the last 4 hours getting a yogi 2 miles out of the mts. and in to my truck?? The absolute LAST thing my mind and especially my legs wanna do is go back in there with DNR so they can inspect a gut pile!

I'm tellin ya fellers don't be a slob or lazy hunter! There's no since in it. All thats needed to kill a bear up here is sweat equity and FOOTWORK. If you are willing to put put down the boot leather you can find them. once you find the sign stay on it until it's stinking fresh. Then HUNT THE SIGN. This animal is a bigger creature of habit than a whitetail ever dreams of being.. so long as he is on a reliable food source?? he aint going no where until he stumbles upon a MORE reliable food source.

DANA,

Bro thats EXACTLY what you would need right now. I got 4 buddies comin up that wanna kill a bear (some people never learn) I been scoutin for em..... man they have got the older bearing oaks between 2,750 and 2,900 ft. tore all to pieces. I mean seriously if acrons don't start raining soon or somebody doesn't shoot em off one of these trees they gonna kill it. Bark clawed down to the cambrium layer. 40% of the limbs broke off and between ankle and knee deep at the base.

Looks like it's gonna be a fair acorn crop but not every tree in the mts. is gonna produce . The big reliable "go to" trees are gettin hit hard right now. but they beginning to spread off em a lil bit. Y aknow what that means... means about opener they gonna spread out their feed patterns and not be so concentrated to one particular tree.

just take you a tent and small portable grill and cook you bacon and eggs if game warden shows up tell him you cooking you some breakfus and camping out(lol)

Coastie

just take you a tent and small portable grill and cook you bacon and eggs if game warden shows up tell him you cooking you some breakfus and camping out(lol)

That technique works better if you have enough to offer the GW a bite of breakfast when it's done. Hot coffee is usually appreciated as well.

Lemme tell ya sumpin brother. Doesn't matter if they CAN make a case against you or not. All they need is the slightest reason to TRY. And do not for one second think they will not ask you to take them in and show you the gut pile so they can inspect it, AS WELL AS THE SURROUNDING AREAS AND WHERE YOU SHOT IT. Now i dunno about you?? But If I just spent the last 4 hours getting a yogi 2 miles out of the mts. and in to my truck?? The absolute LAST thing my mind and especially my legs wanna do is go back in there with DNR so they can inspect a gut pile!

I'm tellin ya fellers don't be a slob or lazy hunter! There's no since in it. All thats needed to kill a bear up here is sweat equity and FOOTWORK. If you are willing to put put down the boot leather you can find them. once you find the sign stay on it until it's stinking fresh. Then HUNT THE SIGN. This animal is a bigger creature of habit than a whitetail ever dreams of being.. so long as he is on a reliable food source?? he aint going no where until he stumbles upon a MORE reliable food source.

DANA,

Bro thats EXACTLY what you would need right now. I got 4 buddies comin up that wanna kill a bear (some people never learn) I been scoutin for em..... man they have got the older bearing oaks between 2,750 and 2,900 ft. tore all to pieces. I mean seriously if acrons don't start raining soon or somebody doesn't shoot em off one of these trees they gonna kill it. Bark clawed down to the cambrium layer. 40% of the limbs broke off and between ankle and knee deep at the base.

Looks like it's gonna be a fair acorn crop but not every tree in the mts. is gonna produce . The big reliable "go to" trees are gettin hit hard right now. but they beginning to spread off em a lil bit. Y aknow what that means... means about opener they gonna spread out their feed patterns and not be so concentrated to one particular tree.

You are right, the GW have been known to pull a vehicle over going down the road and give the occupants a citation for not wearing orange and a warning for hunting over bait.:crazy:

Of course then you have to take it to court or pony up for the fine.:cry:

If you hire an attorney it will be much more than the fine but the satisfaction of not being strong armed is worth it. :D

YOU ARE GUILTY UNTIL YOU CAN PROVE YOUR INNOCENCE.:eek:

LanceColeman

You are right, the GW have been known to pull a vehicle over going down the road and give the occupants a citation for not wearing orange and a warning for hunting over bait.:crazy:

Of course then you have to take it to court or pony up for the fine.:cry:

If you hire an attorney it will be much more than the fine but the satisfaction of not being strong armed is worth it. :D

YOU ARE GUILTY UNTIL YOU CAN PROVE YOUR INNOCENCE.:eek:

99.9% of our DNR up here are phenomenal people. I not only get along with but actually LIKE just about every single one of them. Frank , David , and Brent ........ man these guys to name a few are just great proffessional people and as long as you are not breaking the laws?? they are very easy to get along and deal with. Most of em will actually TELL you where they see bears on the WMAs to actually HELP you find a good hunting spot. Ya gotta keep in mind our state record came about because a bowhunter asked a game warden if he knew where any bears had been sighted and the Warden told him pretty much where to go to try and hunt that big joker.

But as with hunters, or bikers or any other groups. there's always an exception to the rule here our there. And we gotta exception or two up here that will almost make you want to confess to something just so they'll leave you alone.

I'm tellin ya fellas it's just alot easier and safer to go find em on their own natural food sources. find the trees they climbin now..... and watch that area. If more trees in that area are dropping come opener.. hunt the area. the ones that have scat with flies on it (fresh) under them are the high percentage trees. If the bears seem to have left that local?? go higher... because thats what they've done.

CornStalker

Lance,
These trees that the bears are eating out of right now--will you see broken limbs laying all over the ground around the trees? I was scouting Rich Mountain today, and I had a tough time finding anything of the sort.....maybe I wasn't looking in the right places. Mostly white oak acorns that are being eaten now?

LanceColeman

Yes, not only on the ground but also up in the trees as well. you'll see small limbs laying on the ground with NO acorns on them. just alot of empty caps. there will also be acorn husks and acorns scattered all over the ground.

There will also be one particular side of the tree they been going up. after a couple trips it's very obvious to tell sumpin bigs been goin up the tree.

RPolk

Disclaimer: You may not agree...and that's just fine!

If you have a concern something may be wrong, then it is most likely wrong.

While this is a great forum, and I learn new things by reading here, I'm fairly certain that telling the judge "but the guy on the GON Bear site said it was OK" won't carry much weight.

If you have a question about something you want to use then talk to the DNR and ask specific questions.

I believe there are more bears here in North GA now than in many years past. I follow soft mast, white oaks and my personal favorite persimmons....I'm convinced bears are highly addicted to persimmons.

I have been on bear and close to bear each of the last several years, but I'm stubborn or maybe stupid, and hunt with a longbow from the ground. One day I'll find that one bear dumber than me and with one shot improve the gene pool.

bearhunter39

take you some honey build up a fire when the fire gets good and hot pour that honey on the fire and let it burn if there is a bear anywhere close he will be there

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
After seeing all the signs out west I have often wanted to take the lil lady along, if it was the proper time and all, I don't think that would be illegal. You know, her monthly time. They say that attracts bears like nothing else. I know in glacier nt. pk. there are signs everywhere warning against women being there during their monthly time.

steve woodall

After seeing all the signs out west I have often wanted to take the lil lady along, if it was the proper time and all, I don't think that would be illegal. You know, her monthly time. They say that attracts bears like nothing else. I know in glacier nt. pk. there are signs everywhere warning against women being there during their monthly time.

That might very well work, but would it be worth it? I mean I could think of alot of other things I would rather have in a tree stand with me ( a bear for example).:D

DMH

"Neither the use of dogs nor baiting is allowed for bear hunts. Scents are legal, with a scent being a chemical compound. Anything that is food is regarded as bait". I read this in the georgia sporstmen magazine.

billysun

called the dnr yesterday...bear and deer are totally different. You can't not use anything excpet for a non electronic prediator call.....

i know for a FACT that this works. :bounce:
havent tested it on bears yet but def works for bucks!

pushead

I got a couple hundred pics of a few bears on 60 acres just north of jax FL from the weekend. Come on down I will put you on some bears. I will not take any responsabilty if you get caught though.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
uses of scent

just take sardines for your lunch !!!!! you have to dump the juice somewhere !!!!!!

you can take sardines for lunch, don't dump the juice while you are hunting=baiting.

35 Whelen

Georgia Code
Title 27 - GAME AND FISH
Chapter 3 - WILDLIFE GENERALLY
Article 1 - HUNTING
Part 1 - GENERAL PROVISIONS
§ 27-3-27 - Unlawful use of bear bait

Universal Citation: GA Code § 27-3-27 (2015)
(a) It is unlawful to use any type of bait to concentrate the bear population in any area or to lure them to any location which gives or might give a hunter an unnatural advantage when hunting bear.

(b) Any person violating the provisions of this Code section is guilty of a misdemeanor of a high and aggravated nature and, upon conviction, may be punished by a fine of not less than $500.00 and not to exceed $5,000.00 or by confinement for a term not to exceed 12 months, or both.