Used Boat Advice: Polar Skiff

joey1919

I was offered a boat a few days ago for what seems like a decent price. It's a 1996 Polar 1796 skiff with a 60hp mercury.

We ran the motor yesterday and I'm pretty comfortable with it. Boat has been sitting over a year. After draining the carbs and some fresh gas the motor fired up and ran like a new one.

The hull is where my concerns are. I did a little online research and did run across a few threads here and there about problems with polar boats and a few about this hull in particular. The problems I read about were cracking/structural problems. I don't see any cracks unless I'm not looking where I need to.

The boat actually looks like it hasn't been used much. there are a few dings around the rub rail and a couple places where the deck coating is coming off. the hull has no scratches, dents or dings that are noticeable . You cant find a mark on the stainless prop or skeg.

The transom seems solid when pushing on the motor. This boat is self bailing. There is an inspection port under the rear deck. I pulled the cover and I can see the foam under the deck. There was water standing in there but it had just rained. I couldn't feel any of the stringers, I don't know if I should be able to, but I could see and feel one piece of plywood that was a deck support. it was slimy and just a little soft. It wasn't rotten but I could dig my fingernail into the outer layer a little.

The man that owned the boat kept it covered with a tarp but passed away about a year ago and it has been unattended since. He bought the boat new and was the only owner.

This is a cheap boat and if I can get a few years out of it I'll be happy. It probably won't get used but about 3 or 4 times a year. My concern is the hull.

Anybody got any advice?

KKrueger

Do it. Especially if it is a great deal. Keep it out of the weather and maybe prevent those common problems from occurring. Even if you do encounter a problem those skiffs aren't that hard to do a DIY repair on even if it isn't a pretty repair.

StriperrHunterr

I'd personally be concerned with the standing water and the soft wood. Plus there's the statement about you only using it 3-4 times a year. I couldn't justify the cost of ownership and maintenance of a boat to use it that infrequently.

joey1919

I'd personally be concerned with the standing water and the soft wood. Plus there's the statement about you only using it 3-4 times a year. I couldn't justify the cost of ownership and maintenance of a boat to use it that infrequently.

I'll rephrase, I only NEED a boat 3 or 4 times a year. I'd likely use it more if it's sitting there. My group draws gator tags every year and since selling the airboat I'm boatless at the moment. A couple years of paying guides would pay for this boat.

joey1919

This is the boat in question. Any more opinions?

Attachments

• IMG_20170725_090707.jpg
    IMG_20170725_090707.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 484

StriperrHunterr

I'll rephrase, I only NEED a boat 3 or 4 times a year. I'd likely use it more if it's sitting there. My group draws gator tags every year and since selling the airboat I'm boatless at the moment. A couple years of paying guides would pay for this boat.

From the one pic it looks to be in decent condition. I'd still be leery of the foam and stringers, but if you think it's a good value and you're the better one to decide since you know price and actually looked at it go for it.

Teh Wicked

Define good value...Boats are never smart investors options, so going into this purchase, just realize you will NEVER make money on the toy, you will only lose. The question is, is your fishing hobby worth that investment?

SouthPaw Draw

GONetwork, GWF and NTWF Member
Mind tellin' how much you can get the boat for? For me to offer my uneducated, invaluable opinion that would help.....

joey1919

About $2500. Really I've about come to the conclusion that if I can get a couple years out of it I'm fine with junking it afterwards. I don't think that'll happen I'm just thinking worst case scenario.

KKrueger

Wicked is right. Sort of. I got my boat for free by buying boats low and selling boats high on craigslist.

At $2,500 you could use that boat this year and sell next year for more.

In fact I will buy it if you decide not to. Or if you get it and have buyers remorse. Don't get buyers remorse next week, I will be in Ontario chasing walleye.

rospaw

About $2500. Really I've about come to the conclusion that if I can get a couple years out of it I'm fine with junking it afterwards. I don't think that'll happen I'm just thinking worst case scenario.

Hope you bought that boat! That is a deal.
Some polars had issues. I saw one with the transom cut off being repaired. The foam was holding water causing it not to plane was the reason it was in for repair. Polar change the type of foam used in the next model year. That info came from the boat yard owner.
I own a 26' center console polar hull boat and it has been great boat with no hull issues.

StriperrHunterr

Another thought I had while offline, perhaps you could get some of those damp-rid canisters while you have it stored when not using it. Sure, atmospheric air will keep you from getting it done quickly, but if you do that over the winter months with lower humidity you should be able to draw the vast majority of any stored moisture in the foam/stringers out.

SouthPaw Draw

GONetwork, GWF and NTWF Member
Like was mentioned before, buy it that's a decent deal.

joey1919

I called him yesterday and told him I would take it.$2400. the trailer is in pretty good shape, some rusty fasteners but overall good. Comes with seats, 2 cheap depth units a 45lb troller an couple batteries and all the life jackets and safety gear.

There was water in the hull when I pulled that inspection port but it had just rained pretty hard and the boat was sitting pretty level. I'll store it under a barn and open everything up, maybe even stick a fan pulling air through there. I'm sure it'll dry up.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try to post some pictures when I clean it up a little

95g atl

2400 is a deal.
Heck, the motor, trolling motors, and trailer are likely worth that.

Best of luck with it.

My two cents since I own two boats (yeah I know)....use NON-ETHANOL fuel and some fuel treatment like seafoam. Sure it costs a little more, but you'll have less issues with the carb.

nothing worse than getting to the lake and having fuel related issues.

Heck, while we are on the subject, I would replace the water impeller on that engine if you do not have receipt of when it was done last.

Worley

Boat

Define good value...Boats are never smart investors options, so going into this purchase, just realize you will NEVER make money on the toy, you will only lose. The question is, is your fishing hobby worth that investment?

I've owned used fishing boats all less than 5k for 10 or more years, and have never lost a penny...I've sold and made a little every time after using em a few years. Buy em right and u will be fine.

StriperrHunterr

I called him yesterday and told him I would take it.$2400. the trailer is in pretty good shape, some rusty fasteners but overall good. Comes with seats, 2 cheap depth units a 45lb troller an couple batteries and all the life jackets and safety gear.

There was water in the hull when I pulled that inspection port but it had just rained pretty hard and the boat was sitting pretty level. I'll store it under a barn and open everything up, maybe even stick a fan pulling air through there. I'm sure it'll dry up.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try to post some pictures when I clean it up a little

Congrats, keep us posted. Looking forward to you turning that into a fish catching machine.