The New Battery Powered Lawn Mowers

ryanh487

I've used a rechargeable electric mower several times

They're amazing if you keep on top of your lawn and don't have much to take off the top.

They cannot handle a thick lawn if there's been a lot of rain between cuts and you skip a week.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
The EGO 56volt 21" self propelled came home with me today. Fully charged battery in one hour. Put it on mulch mode and mowed the front lawn in 30 minutes, part of the time having a conversation with a neighbor while mowing. It was quiet. Really quiet and I rarely used the self propel because the mower is so stinking light.

At the end of the 30 minutes I put it on the charger fully expecting to see it half charged and ready to charge back up to full. Nope, it was still at 100%.

I think me and this mower are gonna get along just fine.

gunnurse

Saw an electric riding mower at Lowe’s. It had a monstrous 30” cut, and retailed for like $2500.00. Thanks, but no thanks.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
I think for most homeowner stuff electric is the way to go. No more headache with finding non ethanol gas, oil changes, gunked up carbs, spark plugs etc. I don't see electric making its way into a commercial type deal unless we have a major battery breakthrough.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Saw an electric riding mower at Lowe’s. It had a monstrous 30” cut, and retailed for like $2500.00. Thanks, but no thanks.

I think for most homeowner stuff electric is the way to go. No more headache with finding non ethanol gas, oil changes, gunked up carbs, spark plugs etc. I don't see electric making its way into a commercial type deal unless we have a major battery breakthrough.

It is already happening with commercial lawn companies winning 7 figure contracts with them. More commercial brands such as Mean Green are being used to power their business with ride on 60" battery powered mowers that start around $15k each.

http://www.meangreenproducts.com/cxr5260/

It is just a matter of time before there are more battery powered mowers on the shelves at the big box stores than there are gas mowers.

FWIW, I am getting two full mows on my front lawn with the EGO before recharging. I put it to a real test yesterday cutting around 8 am after a good rain overnight and wet wet grass. I also lowered the cut height from 3 to 2 which meant I was putting the mower to the test on really cutting some grass. The mower didn't blink and performed flawlessly. :cool:

rospaw

"Mean Green Mowers recently introduced what it claims will be the gas-powered mower’s downfall – the Mean Green Nemesis NXR. But can it back up its gauntlet throw-down? The patent-pending Nemesis NXR is an electric, zero-turn mower crafted out of aluminum and high strength steel with custom rite-ride suspension, an aerospace-inspired trailing link front caster suspension, and elastomer bumper seat dampening with two foam densities"

https://www.protoolreviews.com/trades/landscaping/mean-green-nemesis-nxr/27385/

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
"Mean Green Mowers recently introduced what it claims will be the gas-powered mower’s downfall – the Mean Green Nemesis NXR. But can it back up its gauntlet throw-down? The patent-pending Nemesis NXR is an electric, zero-turn mower crafted out of aluminum and high strength steel with custom rite-ride suspension, an aerospace-inspired trailing link front caster suspension, and elastomer bumper seat dampening with two foam densities"

https://www.protoolreviews.com/trades/landscaping/mean-green-nemesis-nxr/27385/
Getting the pricing down in the $9k range definitely ups the bar to compete with gas models.

sinclair1

Getting the pricing down in the $9k range definitely ups the bar to compete with gas models.

I am actually holding off on a gas reel mower just waiting on a good battery reel. They are out there, but not quite right. Yet!

It's perfect, most folks who manicure with a reel have about 3/4 to 1/2 acre. :cheers:

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
I am actually holding off on a gas reel mower just waiting on a good battery reel. They are out there, but not quite right. Yet!

It's perfect, most folks who manicure with a reel have about 3/4 to 1/2 acre. :cheers:

My neighbor came outside around 9:45 am to mow his grass the same day I had mowed mine earlier that morning. He looked at me funny and said; "When did you mow your grass? I didn't hear your mower running"

I just smiled back at him and raised my coffee cup as in to toast to the success of Lithium Ion power. :rofl:

I would love to see EGO jump on the battery powered reel mower train. :cool:

someguyintraffic

Dang, you'd think out of a hundred bagazillion members at least one or two would have one. :banginghe

I mow professionally for a living. A guy's yard that he cuts himself takes no less effort than a yard I would cut weekly/ bi weekly.

The difference is I want to cut efficiently and cleanly ONCE. One pass per row.

No toy mowers are in any professionals trailer. If you have a healthy growing thick lawn get the right tool for the job.

Youre still burning coal to charge it up so you aint saving the enviornment with a battery powered mower.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
I mow professionally for a living. A guy's yard that he cuts himself takes no less effort than a yard I would cut weekly/ bi weekly.

The difference is I want to cut efficiently and cleanly ONCE. One pass per row.

No toy mowers are in any professionals trailer. If you have a healthy growing thick lawn get the right tool for the job.

Youre still burning coal to charge it up so you aint saving the enviornment with a battery powered mower.
Perhaps, but I sure am saving my ears and I'm not paying dang near $3 a gallon for gas. ;) Do your research re Commercial Battery Powered Mowers. It is the market you will have to compete in in a couple of years. ;)

someguyintraffic

Perhaps, but I sure am saving my ears and I'm not paying dang near $3 a gallon for gas. ;) Do your research re Commercial Battery Powered Mowers. It is the market you will have to compete in in a couple of years. ;)

Ear plugs. Not likely. When youre trying to cover 10 to 12 yards daily you do not have time to stop and charge. Some of my accounts have a near acre of grass. Only thing that gets it cut is a 60 inch hydro with a big gas tank. The batteries will be OUTRAGEOUS to replace. Go price hybrid car power cells. Then they are a biohazard to dispose of after cell life is breached. Theyll go along the line of remote control mowers for commercial duty, a gimmick. Id love to see an electric or remote mower power through a lawn with 5 inches of growth in a week and a regular turf feed program. Love to see it.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Ear plugs. Not likely. When youre trying to cover 10 to 12 yards daily you do not have time to stop and charge. Some of my accounts have a near acre of grass. Only thing that gets it cut is a 60 inch hydro with a big gas tank. The batteries will be OUTRAGEOUS to replace. Go price hybrid car power cells. Then they are a biohazard to dispose of after cell life is breached. Theyll go along the line of remote control mowers for commercial duty, a gimmick. Id love to see an electric or remote mower power through a lawn with 5 inches of growth in a week and a regular turf feed program. Love to see it.
I appreciate where you are coming from but I have over 30 years in a sector of the Landscape Industry and went this route on my personal home to see how it holds up and the quality of the cut. I have friends that own very large maintenance companies based out of Ga, one is even serving multiple states and running over 25 trucks and crews a day just on the maintenance side of the business alone, and they are researching the products for future competition. My advice to you is do some research. Look into mower companies like Mean Green, for the commercial side of the product. Companies out west are winning 7 figure contracts setting up 100% electric battery powered crews with solar panels on top of their trucks that charge the batteries and spare batteries while they drive. My 56v / 7amp battery charges in under an hour and has never even thought about bogging down even in tall wet grass. I am very pleased with this product and it's ability to lay a very nice pattern down on the lawn. I've been in my business a long time and have had to upgrade with technology and what the client wants. My advice to you is don't discount this technology too easily. When it gets to the east coast it will be here to stay and if you haven't already done your homework and adjusted your profit formula's and business model accordingly for when it comes, you will be left out.

someguyintraffic

I appreciate where you are coming from but I have over 30 years in a sector of the Landscape Industry and went this route on my personal home to see how it holds up and the quality of the cut. I have friends that own very large maintenance companies based out of Ga, one is even serving multiple states and running over 25 trucks and crews a day just on the maintenance side of the business alone, and they are researching the products for future competition. My advice to you is do some research. Look into mower companies like Mean Green, for the commercial side of the product. Companies out west are winning 7 figure contracts setting up 100% electric battery powered crews with solar panels on top of their trucks that charge the batteries and spare batteries while they drive. My 56v / 7amp battery charges in under an hour and has never even thought about bogging down even in tall wet grass. I am very pleased with this product and it's ability to lay a very nice pattern down on the lawn. I've been in my business a long time and have had to upgrade with technology and what the client wants. My advice to you is don't discount this technology too easily. When it gets to the east coast it will be here to stay and if you haven't already done your homework and adjusted your profit formula's and business model accordingly for when it comes, you will be left out.

You sound like youre selling them for living. " Out west " they dont have grass thatll be a foot tall in 2 weeks when fed regularly nor do they have the water or soils to support such growth. Brickman and ValleyCrest merged into Brightview and is one of the East Coasts biggest green industry conglomerates. Brickman in Mayretta is down the street from my small engine guy. Electric mowers in a commerical space came up as a topic in the Southeast and it was a great laugh! Im small time 50 accts. Never would I trust a battery powered machine to be durable enough or powerful enough to complete a daily schedule when income depends on it. Im on the ground everyday busting my butt. I know what it takes. Reliable technology in a daily commercial heavy duty use and abuse setting with electric power and solar charging isnt a threat to horsepower. How you gonna mow when batteries are low and it rains 4 out of 5 days in a business week and you have to double up? Wheres the charge coming from under gray skies? Its about reliability. No replacement for displacement. Im glad you like the ego mower though. Whatever makes you happy is what matters.

someguyintraffic

BrightView has done some testing with zero emission electric equipment but when youve got a 2.2 billion dollar exposure you can afford to experiment.

someguyintraffic

Direct from dealer 15k. Yeah...no. Unproven. Sounds as loud as a reglar mower in the vids. I mean all power to them but you talk like small engine sales and use will roll over and be obosolete. Thats wishful thinking.

http://www.meangreenproducts.com/cxr5260

someguyintraffic

Go to Lawn Site and get some professional opinion on them. The Mean Green question is a good thread. The vids show a loud mower mowing very poorly in short grass and leaving a rear discharge mess. Ill take my 25 hp Kawasaki and 60 inch decks or my 48 scag hydro walk behinds and make one pass and keep the grind going. No body makes money double mowing.