Battery mower?

hipster dufus

My ol toro up n died on me. Pondering an 80v batterypowered mower, kobalt/greenworks. To say i have a lawn would b a stretch, anyone using a battery mower? How u like it?. Would need a 2 battery set up. Opiniions welcome.tia

specialk

it seems to be the trend nowadays, i'm sticking to fossil fuels for awhile....

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I bought a 80 v battery Greenworks.I like it except it bogs down if you hit a high spot or thick spot in the yard.I am in Snellville if you want to come try it out:ROFLMAO:.Seriously you can come check it out if you want.

TJay

I have one. About the only "con" I can think of is it doesn't have much of a vacuum effect to stand the grass up as it's being cut but it is adequate. I don't use it to cut my whole yard just the area around the pool but I have cut the whole yard on one charge before. For me it's kind of niche thing and it does a good job for what I need. Unless you have a really large yard one battery should do it.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I just bought a Ryobi 40v for my small front yard. It's really light, easy to push, quiet and cuts the whole front on half a battery charge. It doesn't bog down at all in my bermuda, but it has been dry. We'll see how it does when the grass is really growing good. I like it a lot so far.

alwayslookin

I also bought a Ryobi recently....40v HP brushless 20 in push mower. Bought it to do areas around the pool like Tjay. My comments on it are the same as he and Killmaster. It works good for what I bought it for but it doesn't have good suction for leaves and such. They are light so you don't really need self propelled. It's also on sale for $249 at HD right now.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
This is what I have noticed about battery power tools. In a couple of years the battery wears out. If they still make them then they cost about as much as the tool. Most the time they change the battery design to wear it no long interchangeable!
Good luck. Bet it cuts good. Easy to use.

hipster dufus

went n bought the ego 56v select cut w a 7.5 ah battery. Battery charges fast, mowed/walked my whole yard. I say mowed/walked because the grass barely needed cutting. Had bout 30% battery left.i rarely mow the whole yard in one shot. I will probably buy another tool/ battery. Probaly a pole saw.i will update in a couple months. 5 yr warranty on mower,3 yr on battery. Wish me luck

acurasquirrel

This is what I have noticed about battery power tools. In a couple of years the battery wears out. If they still make them then they cost about as much as the tool. Most the time they change the battery design to wear it no long interchangeable!
Good luck. Bet it cuts good. Easy to use.
Most of the new batteries will self discharge when not used for a period of time. This extended battery life as lithium ion batteries like to stay 50-80% charged. Also bringing them inside will help as well. I’m going on 5 years on some of my ego batteries with no issues.

Doboy Dawg

I would wait a couple more years. My friend bought a hybrid mower from Lowes a few years ago. It was pretty cool, it had a gas engine generator and electric motors on the deck. I believe it was a 42” deck. It burnt 4 electric motors in just over a year.

When it worked, it worked well, plenty of power cutting the grass. Having the generator for AC electric power was nice. But it spent more time in the shop being repaired than it did actually mowing.

My friend had to threaten to sue Lowes to get them to accept it as a return even under warranty. They finally refunded his money.

Lowes quit selling those mowers shortly afterward.

paulito

Ive got the greenworks and have been very happy with it for going on 2 years now. I don't have a large yard though. I got the backpack blower as well and both have exceeded my expectations for battery power