Squirrels, Scag Mowers, and Botfly Wolves...And a couple of firsts!

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
What an eventful afternoon in the squirrel woods with the Grand Boys!

Today was the day that Little Brother decided to retire the .410, and go 20 gauge. He took the Savage single shot that trained me and his brother The Kid. Out in the back 40, he walked along and shot several pine cones out of the trees, and declared he was ready to take it huntin'.

He made a good shot on a big male and scored a kill on the first shot with the 20...

The Kid shot one running across the ground and rolled it up, but when we got to him, he was still very much alive! He viciously charged the bunch of us, and ran three legged under a lawn mower in the pole barn...It was quite the spectacle trying to poke that critter out from under the mower. He finally got wedged up between the seat and the engine, and we were able to finish the job with a stick!!

My first shot with my new Savage 555 O/U knocked one down, but the thing had not one, not two, but EIGHT botfly wolves living in it. Poor thing had almost no hair left, and two of the wounds stunk to high heaven. I cut the wolves out and had a lesson with the boys on what they were, and how they worked. I will usually cut one out and keep the meat, but since this one was in such bad shape, we decided we'd done it a favor, and gave it honorable burial in a hollow stump.

We added one more to the bag, I say we because we all were shooting at a runner, and nobody knows for sure who knocked it down for the count...

IMG_20230909_192059031.jpg

These made 13 for the stew pot, and it's Squirrel and Dumplings tomorrow!!!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Good stuff! Always love seeing y'alls adventures.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
We need a picture of that stew pot and its finished product ! And I agree with hillbilly , brings back some good memories of my childhood