1 Pintail Per Day

Barebowyer

Recent DU episode addressed the decreased limit and their theories on the sprig decline, FYI.

Duckbuster82

Good explanation

Can someone explain how the dakotas can shoot 5 mallards? I get they have more and early season locals that are hunted, just curious on how the regs work. I thought I've seen canvasbacks reglated by state instead of fed rules but I asking GON not google now...

You can shoot 7 mallards out on the west coast. The federal government sets the limit on numbers and on dates. Each state can pic their own limits as long as it falls within the allowed numbers of the government. Example the Feds may allow a 60 day season for the states in the eastern fly way but Georgia can elect to have a 50 day season. Or Arkansas only allows 3 mallards to be killed in bayo meto.

You can shoot 7 mallards out on the west coast. The federal government sets the limit on numbers and on dates. Each state can pic their own limits as long as it falls within the allowed numbers of the government. Example the Feds may allow a 60 day season for the states in the eastern fly way but Georgia can elect to have a 50 day season. Or Arkansas only allows 3 mallards to be killed in bayo meto.
Just like any regulation. A local Government can add to but not take away from. As long as it fits the frame work of the federal law. Example ammo amount restrictions in some areas.

Recent DU episode addressed the decreased limit and their theories on the sprig decline, FYI.

Years ago under the point system you could kill ten blue bills at ten points each in Kansas. The some foreign species of sea shell fish or something started killing them off. Now only 3 everywhere.

kevbo3333

I too have seen more pintails than ever before. The must not survey in the areas I hunt. I am glad to see that Black Duck populations are in the rise. I saw and killed my first black duck this year. Scouted out a hole where about 60 mallards and black ducks where hanging out.

Duckbuster82

I hear there will be a boundary line, east and west for the rise in black duck limit. Help protect the mottled ducks from being miss identified.

rnelson5

I too have seen more pintails than ever before. The must not survey in the areas I hunt. I am glad to see that Black Duck populations are in the rise. I saw and killed my first black duck this year. Scouted out a hole where about 60 mallards and black ducks where hanging out.

They survey the breeding duck population in the spring for the estimate not " fall flight" population at wintering grounds.

Barebowyer

Just a few years ago VA had a one black duck a day limit for many years that I hunted it. We could never understand it as we would often see hundreds a day on the marsh, often times just hanging out in the decoys after our limit was reached.....who knows?

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Does the mid-winter survey play a part in establishing seasons for the following year?

rnelson5

Does the mid-winter survey play a part in establishing seasons for the following year?

As far as I know it doesn't. I think as far as seasons go the federal guide lines say that the season can't start before a certain date and can't go past a certain date. That ending date is the end of January. It is up to the states to then set the seasons within that time frame.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Like a kid on Christmas, but we saw and took more pintails this year than ever in WV

duck-dawg

They survey the breeding duck population in the spring for the estimate not " fall flight" population at wintering grounds.

This. The fact that someone is seeing more pintails in State A than they did previously doesn't mean squat with regards to the overall population. Bird counts aren't an exact science, but they're a reliable basis for assessing species' populations. It's not ideal, but if the population is down, it's a necessary evil.

Duckbuster82

Well you have to remember that they now base this years limits off of last years surveys. Plus this doesn't show anything about the estimates from Canada.

Yea but for breeding numbers to be up the population should be up. Thus saying there were more birds than what they claim, or that the survey was wrong.

Duckbuster82

Canada left their limit at 4, they saw no issue. And every state listed in that survey either said pintails were up or grouped then with other ducks that's population was also up.