Clubs,Dead Hogs and Deer behavior.

red neck richie

I am a member of a hunting club. I found a dead hog in front of one of my stands. I suspect someone was hunting my stand and shot it and just left if to rot. I'm sure the excuse will be they couldn't find it. Total male cow manure. But I was wondering yall's thoughts on how a dead animal in front of your stand effects deer movement? Should I move the carcass?

billy336

If buzzards are working it over, witnessed deer stay away til it’s consumed.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Animals die in the woods all the time. It will have little to no effect on deer.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
If it isn't stinking I'd move it before yotes and buzzards got on it.

doeboy1

I once put a camera on the gut pile to see how many yotes we had coming to it. Got plenty of buzzards, yotes and bald eagles. What was surprising was how many deer cruised the area and a 4pt actually eating corn out of the decaying gut sack!

Mako22

BANNED
I once put a camera on the gut pile to see how many yotes we had coming to it. Got plenty of buzzards, yotes and bald eagles. What was surprising was how many deer cruised the area and a 4pt actually eating corn out of the decaying gut sack!

I always re-use my corn that deer I killed ate, doesnt everybody?

bany

I think the deer like dead hogs too!

misterpink

Animals are far less offened by death than humans. Hunt on. You might see some cool happenings around Arnold's carcass.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
In my experience, dead critters don't bother deer in the least.

flyrod444

We had a stand that produced many large bucks over the years and it was less than 75 yards from a where everyone dumped their deer carcass after taking all the meat off that could be used. Didn't bother this stand in the least.