tax question

holton27596

My fiancee lives with me. she only made about 2000 last year.
1. can i claim her as a dependent?
2. can she get a refund on what little she made without effecting the above? Thanks.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
My fiancee lives with me. she only made about 2000 last year.
1. can i claim her as a dependent?
2. can she get a refund on what little she made without effecting the above? Thanks.

1. Yes provided she lived with you for the whole year, you provided more than 50% of her support and your living arrangement did not violate any state law.

2. Yes but if you claim her as your dependent she will not be able to claim herself on her tax return.

Oldstick

I thought the dependent test had to be someone directly related to you: parents, siblings, children or spouses by blood or marriage, and that they lived with and you provided more than 50% of their support for the year.

Artfuldodger

They have to be a qualifying relative. You can claim a boyfriend or girlfriend as a dependent on your federal income taxes if that person meets the Internal Revenue Service's definition of a "qualifying relative."

Don't get tripped up by the word "relative" here—according to the IRS, it can include an unrelated person.

Interesting, I never knew that.

However, if your living situation violates local law, you cannot claim that individual as a dependent. In some states, "cohabitation" by unmarried people is against the law.

As it currently stands, Mississippi, Michigan, Florida, and Virginia currently have laws on the books banning cohabitation.