Apalachicola in first week in March

mbaker8686

I am heading to Apalachicola for the first week in March. I have read that the whiting bite n ever really turns off, I was just wondering if anyone else had any other advice for this time of year. I have fished the gulf from piers and the beach from Pensacola to Panama City, just never in the Apalachicola area.

Thanks in advance.

MudDucker

Staff member
Ask this same question on bigbendfishing.net. It is a forum especially for that area.

mlbowfin

if you have a boat and some fiddlers, you can catch sheepheads down in the cut. I went last year for the chili cookoff and caught a couple of sheeps on live shrimp, a few small black drum and a ton of little baby spots. the boat fishing the opposite side of the cut had a cricket tube full of fiddlers filled a cooler with sheeps(fishing slack tide)

Rabun

I am heading to Apalachicola for the first week in March. I have read that the whiting bite n ever really turns off, I was just wondering if anyone else had any other advice for this time of year. I have fished the gulf from piers and the beach from Pensacola to Panama City, just never in the Apalachicola area.

Thanks in advance.

Here's a report from the PCB area for last weekend. Aplach area may be a little behind PCB but with the mild temps I would expect the surf fishing to turn on early. Let us know how you make out.

http://www.floridasportsman.com/2017/02/22/panhandle-weekend-fishing-4cast/

jaymax00

I have caught the biggest whiting I have ever seen at Cape San Blas. Normally first of march is when we ride over there, only about a 30 minute ride. Also catch pompano, red and black drum, sheephead and trout there.

mbaker8686

Fishing was a little slow. The wind blew really hard the first half of the week, but I had some luck on 1-2 lb whiting on the old bridge that is now a pier on the st. george side. Towards the end of the week, we started catching more whiting in the surf. I was spooled once, never saw it. We caught some small sharks and hooked a big shark on slack tide in the surf. He turned back quick and clipped the line past the leader.

Not a bad trip for early march. I think we would have done well if we were not landlocked

Rabun

Fishing was a little slow. The wind blew really hard the first half of the week, but I had some luck on 1-2 lb whiting on the old bridge that is now a pier on the st. george side. Towards the end of the week, we started catching more whiting in the surf. I was spooled once, never saw it. We caught some small sharks and hooked a big shark on slack tide in the surf. He turned back quick and clipped the line past the leader.

Not a bad trip for early march. I think we would have done well if we were not landlocked

You got a few tugs and some meat to eat...way to go! There are some decent size creatures cruising the beach...I caught what must have been a 40lb black drum on a little piece of shrimp in the trough on the beach. It's like a box of chocolates....

Big BDrum resized.jpg