Hunter respect

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
The one thing each and every human generation has in common is the older generation constantly complains about the younger generation. Nothing new here. ;) Gil

JMB

I've hunted public land most of my life. I like the challenge of public land birds and when I travel out of state, it's often the best option. That said, I usually run into one or two special people every year. Age, socioeconomic category, and experience hunting notwithstanding, I will say the folks that are true gumbies aren't really turkey hunters. The best of the best are

-Dude in Honda Civic with a flock of decoys in a duck decoy bag hiking up a mountain. His idea was to simulate a feeding flock of turkeys to lure in another flock. Mad props to him for the hike, though.

-Fella in Alabama who pulled up to a gate I was parked at and asked me if I wanted company on my hunt since he had never shot one and wanted to see if I'd call in a bird for him. While I respect his candor, negative ghostrider...this pattern is full.

-The rooster gobbler on some private land (big club, ugh) that was more like a wma with a gate than a club. Roosted bird. Got close the next morning to have it spooked by some 20 year old kid on a 4 wheeler that parked 5' from my truck. He got mouthy and things went bad for him. His dad came down and once he heard the situation spanked his son, literally, in front of me. Got back to the truck after that and another car was parked near me with a blind and decoy set out 100' from my truck. I really can't make this stuff up!

-National Forest land where an entire family came in and surrounded my buddy and I along with one turkey. They all closed in yelping on box calls from every point of the compass. I think they ran out of chalk! One son nearly shot the dad thinking he was a turkey.

-Buddy was in from out of town and I told him to hunt down a closed road because there was a gobbler there. He got there early and a truck pulls up with 3 guys who inform him he should leave that they'd been hunting there for the past two days and were going back in. He left.

-Kid in a little Fast and Furious car pulls around my buddy and I (two trucks) to come in on us and spook a gobbler we were working. My buddy (hot tempered), waited on the kid an read him the riot act. Next day buddy was there and he game warden stopped him saying he'd revived a complaint about harassment. No citation issued but goes to show you confrontation isn't always the best option.

The list goes on.