Sales Tax on Used Boat

Gordon

I live in GA, I plan on traveling to Tennessee in a couple of weeks to veiw a used boat a dealer is trading ($12,000). Can anyone tell me what the liability is for tax?

Do I pay sales tax on the purchase in TN? If so, do you know what the rate is?

Or, as I am a GA resident do I not get sales tax levied on me in TN.

I know there is an annual tax to be paid in GA on any item you own worth more than a certain amount of money.

Thanks in Advance

Wild Turkey

You wont pay sales tax at point of sale but Ga will send you a tax bill when u register the boat in ga.
try and get a bill of sale that says 1 dollar and other valuable considerations from the seller. Then fight about the number later.

Gordon

Thanks for the info. I did not want to go there with insufficient cash.

Another tip I learned the hard way. Get a seperate bill of sale for the trailer with a nominal value. Without this it is a PITA trying to register your trailer with GA DMV.

Cricket Chunker

There is no guarentee TN dealer will not charge you sales tax up front. If they do, they are "supposed" to send it to GA because when you register it in GA they will tax you then since it was a dealer sale. Make sure you keep the proof it was paid in TN if they do it that way.

Also the personal property tax will not be due in GA this year, but is based on who owns the boat on January 1, so you slide by on that tax. When you register a boat, your home county gets the info also and they will send you a notice of assessment next year.