Tips on buying used boat

Borisvonf

I live in upstate SC and recently retired. I grew up on the coast and want to get back into salt water fishing now that I have free time. Looking for something to tow to south Florida in winter for mahi, kings and sailfish (possibly even run across to Bahamas), scuba dive and snorkel patch reefs in keys and use on lakes in summer. I rented a mako 221 for a week in the abacos in January and loved it. Great ride, plenty of room to fish and storage for gear - fishing tackle, spears and snorkel gear. But they are old. I don’t know what I don’t know so that is what my worry is. I want a boat that is a tool - I will use it hard, do the maintenance and wash it off but not going to polish it or cry over scratches and dings and it doesn’t have to be pretty. Please help point me in the right direction. Reliable and durable.
Thanks in advance.

marlin

If you are thinking of possibly crossing over to the Bahamas twin engines would be a wise choice. Unless crossing with other boats then you would should be fine with a single engine.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
From what you describe, I would look for a well built boat with bad outboards.
Re-power with new motors and have the hull gone over checking all bilge, bait tank, etc. hoses and thru hull fittings.
Inspect all electrical connections and electronic units.

pottydoc

If you are thinking of possibly crossing over to the Bahamas twin engines would be a wise choice. Unless crossing with other boats then you would should be fine with a single engine.
I grew up in SE FL. Crossed to the Bahamas many more times than I remember, well over 100. At least 35 or so was in boats 21' or less with single outboards. I know plenty of people who have done the same. When I started crossing (with my dad) there was no such thing as GPS or Loran. There are literally hundreds of boats that make solo crossings every decent weather day from Miami to Stuart. Plenty with single power. It is not dangerous to do so. Make sure you do your prep, watch the weather forecast, and stay home if it's gonna be rough. Sure, it's nice to have twins and/or a buddy boat, but it's not a big deal if you don't. On a decent day you can cross from Palm Beach Inlet, or Boynton Inlet to West End in about 1 1/2 hours if your boat will cruise at 30 mph.

ddavis1120

If you are mechanically inclined and have some time, you want to see if you can get a deal on an Ian boat. Cooperss.com

Robust Redhorse

I don't understand why Johnny Morris ruins every boat company he buys....

Mako's used to be great boats.

According to their website, their only offshore boat now is a 21' 5" boat with a 150 Mercury. Everything else looks like a Carolina Skiff.

I had a 1990's 261b with twin 200 Yamahas. That thing was awesome.

Based on what you said you wanted, I would try to find a used Regulator 23.
I am biased, but I think Regulator is the most solidly built boat made in the last 20 years or so.

I have a 2000 Regulator 26FS, and it seems to be a very solid boat.

I understand that no wood is used in them. Their customer service is excellent. They are made in North Carolina.

deers2ward

I live in upstate SC and recently retired. I grew up on the coast and want to get back into salt water fishing now that I have free time. Looking for something to tow to south Florida in winter for mahi, kings and sailfish (possibly even run across to Bahamas), scuba dive and snorkel patch reefs in keys and use on lakes in summer. I rented a mako 221 for a week in the abacos in January and loved it. Great ride, plenty of room to fish and storage for gear - fishing tackle, spears and snorkel gear. But they are old. I don’t know what I don’t know so that is what my worry is. I want a boat that is a tool - I will use it hard, do the maintenance and wash it off but not going to polish it or cry over scratches and dings and it doesn’t have to be pretty. Please help point me in the right direction. Reliable and durable.
Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you should get an older Contender 25 Open (28 ft LOA) that has been repowered.

Something like this: https://www.thehulltruth.com/boats-...9-contender-25-open-28-2020-suzuki-200-a.html

Reactions: Rob

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
^^^This
Borrow or buy a compression tester and check each cylinder.
Yes for a two stroke, but mechanics have told me that you need a leak down test on a 4-stroke to make any sort of determination, not just compression.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
From what you describe, I would look for a well built boat with bad outboards.
Re-power with new motors and have the hull gone over checking all bilge, bait tank, etc. hoses and thru hull fittings.
Inspect all electrical connections and electronic units.
This is what I would have said also.
Been boatin my whole life and I would buy a bran new boat.
Or I would buy a real good solid tried and tested with good reveiws hull where the seller knows the motor or motors is/are done.
And repower it. I am SURE there are A LOT of nice used motors out there. But it's miserable to get one that aint, and there's a lot out there. Good solid simple hull and new power = new boat. Then maintain them the way you would and learn their quirks as the age.
Good luck!!! Boat shoppin can be fun!
I've had new yamaha 300 4 stroke since 2015 and it has been perfect so far.

pjciii

I would personally require the owner to pay for a marine survey. At the least you might want to get one done.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
This is what I would have said also.
Been boatin my whole life and I would buy a bran new boat.
Or I would buy a real good solid tried and tested with good reveiws hull where the seller knows the motor or motors is/are done.
And repower it. I am SURE there are A LOT of nice used motors out there. But it's miserable to get one that aint, and there's a lot out there. Good solid simple hull and new power = new boat. Then maintain them the way you would and learn their quirks as the age.
Good luck!!! Boat shoppin can be fun!
I've had new yamaha 300 4 stroke since 2015 and it has been perfect so far.
I like this idea. My friend has an older flats boat with a solid hull and just put a brand new Suzuki 150 4 stroke on it…..like a new boat! Now he’s looking for some type of a bay liner to put that engine on so he can fish the rigs in bigger water.

notnksnemor

I'm glad this thread came back up.
Given the current economic situation, if you are a cash buyer, you should be in a good position to find a good boat.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I'm glad this thread came back up.
Given the current economic situation, if you are a cash buyer, you should be in a good position to find a good boat.
I did. Needs a bit of work, but generally a good boat for a great price.

kingfish

I'd check all the boat repair/fiberglass businesses and all the mobile marine mechanics you can find. These guys are the ones that have the inside info on what's available and what condition it's in because they have worked on the boats. They can tell you who takes care of their boats and who runs the fool out of them. Awesome resources.

dang

DANG !!!
I can’t offer mechanical advice, but I’ll add to inspect the transom / splash well area for stress cracks in the glass. Don’t overlook getting a survey. May cost a bit more but it could save you a headache. I’ll also offer up an opinion about boats in your size class as someone who owns a comparable boat………

You don’t talk to many people who wish they got a smaller boat than they did

Take that for what it’s worth :bounce:

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob

notnksnemor

I can’t offer mechanical advice, but I’ll add to inspect the transom / splash well area for stress cracks in the glass. Don’t overlook getting a survey. May cost a bit more but it could save you a headache. I’ll also offer up an opinion about boats in your size class as someone who owns a comparable boat………

You don’t talk to many people who wish they got a smaller boat than they did

Take that for what it’s worth :bounce:
No matter how big a boat you have, the farther out you are, the smaller it gets.