2 with a Self Bow

GrayG

I have always had a hankering to make my own self bow. I decided about a year and a half ago to give it a go. After much research, I started cutting trees down (hickory, pecan and white oak) and splitting them into staves to dry for several months. After a few failures and many hours I finally was able to make 4 bows that are hunt worthy.
My first kill was a little button head about a week and a half ago. The shot was 24 yards and he only went about 40 yds. I was a very proud bow hunter.
Yesterday morning I was in a hang on in the same oak ridge that I cut a white oak tree that produced the bow that I had in my hand. At the crack of daylight, I heard the sound of deer hooves in the dry leaves. After crunching on acorns for a few minutes, He finally made his way to a post oak that was about 20 yards away. I crouched down in my stand to shoot under a limb and let fly. The hit sounded good but I was unsure of the shot in the dim light. At 8:30 I couldn’t stand it anymore. I climbed down and found the fletch end of my broken cedar arrow. I only had about 8” of penetration and very little blood. I flnally found a couple of drops of blood on a fire break 100 yds away where he crossed heading into a thick bottom. 50 yds in, there he lay. The Broadhead pierced his heart and lodged in the opposite shoulder. God truly blessed me with a hunt that I will always remember. I used a 54 LB. at 27” white oak self bow, cedar arrows, and a 145 grain Ace Standard Broadhead.

Attachments

• 260999EB-16DC-4C3C-A29D-F12A2CEBE678.jpeg
    260999EB-16DC-4C3C-A29D-F12A2CEBE678.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 530
  • E039BEE0-BBD3-491D-A90E-F031C32D8F36.jpeg
    E039BEE0-BBD3-491D-A90E-F031C32D8F36.jpeg
    218.9 KB · Views: 532
  • 370BCEB7-8611-4C11-8829-4C94858C25A9.jpeg
    370BCEB7-8611-4C11-8829-4C94858C25A9.jpeg
    223.9 KB · Views: 530

Clipper

Doesn't get any better than that. Thanks for sharing, those kind of stories inspire us all.

rospaw

Impressive Gray! I'm not a bow guy but i like wood projects. I think this would be a good one for me to try. I hope to get some interest from my kids so they will join in.
Again, great job at making/using the tool!

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Congrats. Nice buck.

SELFBOW

Good story....I sat Copperhead down w 12 big game kills and used the Spirit bow for a year. I'm awaiting a special gift right now and once it's here I will be back at hunting w Osage.

oldfella1962

awesome hunting! And that photo (with you and the deer holding the bow) is a classic - I would have that enlarged & framed no doubt.

GrayG

Thanks for the kind words. I'm not so sure that it's knowing what I'm doing as much as being too stubborn to give up.

charlie 2 arrow

Good stuff there, congratulations on your deer that's a nice buck!