It's a bird! It's a plan! It's a...Christian Physicst?

ambush80

Which came first seeing God while using drugs or using drugs to see God?

I've come across some anthropology articles that suggest that drug use contributed to spirituality in general and others that claim a direct link to drug use and the God concept. Shamanism unequivocally links the use of psychedelics with communion with God. Here's an interesting piece i found quite quickly:

http://www.ancient-wisdom.com/prehistoricdrugs.htm

Do a little research if you're interested. I would say that the use of psychedelics will certainly cause a mental state that I can't imagine reproducing without them.

ambush80

The fact and logic I was putting forth was the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, which is fact and perfectly logical to those who have it. I was wondering about when you were a "believer",if the Holy Spirit was involved in your "belief"or just head knowledge.Apparently,from your response,it was only head knowledge.
The indwelling of the Holy Spirit can't be proven to others,but that doesn't mean it's untrue.It just means it's personal.

That's the point everybody is trying to make to you. It's like saying "vanilla is the best flavor of ice cream". It's not a fact. It may be a fact that you think vanilla is the best a flavor of ice cream. Those claims are not the same at all.

Saying "My god is real" is like declaring a best flavor of ice cream. You will have people that agree with you and some that disagree with you. It says nothing about if it is true.

drippin' rock

I've come across some anthropology articles that suggest that drug use contributed to spirituality in general and others that claim a direct link to drug use and the God concept. Shamanism unequivocally links the use of psychedelics with communion with God. Here's an interesting piece i found quite quickly:

http://www.ancient-wisdom.com/prehistoricdrugs.htm

Do a little research if you're interested. I would say that the use of psychedelics will certainly cause a mental state that I can't imagine reproducing without them.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=751465&highlight=dmt

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
That's the point everybody is trying to make to you. It's like saying "vanilla is the best flavor of ice cream". It's not a fact. It may be a fact that you think vanilla is the best a flavor of ice cream. Those claims are not the same at all.

Saying "My god is real" is like declaring a best flavor of ice cream. You will have people that agree with you and some that disagree with you. It says nothing about if it is true.
Yep, just like all the other billions of people in the world that apparently love a different flavor.
Welder has not only never tried their ice cream, but he goes so far to say it is not even ice cream at all.

ambush80

Yep, just like all the other billions of people in the world that apparently love a different flavor.
Welder has not only never tried their ice cream, but he goes so far to say it is not even ice cream at all.

Well said.

welderguy

Hey, don't hate on me just cause I'm lactose intolerant. :biggrin2:

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
See this is what I'm trying to work out.
You acknowledge you can't use the process to prove them wrong like you proved me wrong
You acknowledge that what you believe can't be proven.
How do you personally square in your mind, KNOWING the above, insisting someone else is wrong?
And please don't go off on the whole faith thing. Acknowledging you have to have faith is acknowledging you can't prove it so that just goes in circle.
Sam Harris said it best:
"Faith is nothing more than the license religious people give themselves to keep believing when reasons fail."

Israel

BANNED
Sam Harris endorsed his own lack of credibility when a friend gave me his discourse on Ethics. He spoke of his having "studied" in whatever measure and then declared this study had "made him a better man".
Really? What's the metric? His own appraisal? Really? Others? If so, Hitler was for many then, undeniably so. I won't judge Hitler, but I will be amused at men who either think they know themselves without bias...or gladly play to the opinions of others.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Sam Harris endorsed his own lack of credibility when a friend gave me his discourse on Ethics. He spoke of his having "studied" in whatever measure and then declared this study had "made him a better man".
Really? What's the metric? His own appraisal? Really? Others? If so, Hitler was for many then, undeniably so. I won't judge Hitler, but I will be amused at men who either think they know themselves without bias...or gladly play to the opinions of others.
Do you hold the religious who claim to "be a better person" because of their faith to the same standards?

ambush80

If you don't think study, of anything, makes you "better" than remaining completely ignorant, then I don't know what to say.

Last edited:

Israel

BANNED
Do you hold the religious who claim to "be a better person" because of their faith to the same standards?

Quite so.

Faith hasn't made me a better person, it shows me the better person.
Surprisingly, the One who, though better, considers me, better than Himself.
He has preferred me to His own life. This is too much for me to apprehend, nevertheless, how He is, how he can "do" that is, teaching me about a thing I once thought I knew, but realize I have known nothing...at all.
Love.